Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #21
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Well my point was that nobody ever knew what TF2 was going to be so there never was people saying what it should have been. The majority has enjoyed TF2. Please don't derail the topic because Valve didn't make a game for you. That was all I meant. This isn't about what you feel TF2 should have been this is what TF as a whole will be in the future.
Pretty sure none of my posts have derailed the topic, and I'm pretty sure that my post about what TF will be in the future has garnered the most discussion...not really sure where you're getting that but okay...whatever you say?
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
tu!

i think he a tf2 fanboy or something...he defend tf2 a lot on these boards, [snip]

Flame-free Forum.

Last edited by Ihmhi; 05-15-2008 at 08:56 AM.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #23
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
tf will last forever as long as it's fun and exciting to play.

the way Valve is handling TF2 is spot on. they're keeping the game fun and exciting to the masses by introducing unlocks for each character over time.
their graphics are revolutionary. no other game comes close to the graphics style TF2 has which is refreshing.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
many things about tf2 are absolutely excellent and improve greatly on tfc. a few things about tf2 majorly let it down as a clan-game if (like me) you were one of the relatively few gamers who experienced and subsequently fell in love with high-level tfc clanning and its mix of dm/movement, individual skill and teamplay. the good news is that i recon these things are all pretty easy to fix (most tf2 players probably wouldn't even notice you'd changed anything lol) and so i'm researching and thinking and hoping one day valve allow us to mod it..
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
People are already modding it. One server is working on (don't know if it's up yet) returning grenades via a plugin. They intend to keep the plugin only for their server.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
modding it nicely via the sdk? didn't think valve allowed that yet, but haven't checked for a while.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #27
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
People are already modding it. One server is working on (don't know if it's up yet) returning grenades via a plugin. They intend to keep the plugin only for their server.
I saw a video on that on youtube..pretty cool
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #28
tu!

why you edit my comment on the greatness of tfc. WTF!
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #29
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i wont be happy until a combined MMOFPS/RTS game comes out. the guy at the top manages RTS players, who manage FPS squad leaders, who manage their squads. hierarchy ftw.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #30
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i wont be happy until a combined MMOFPS/RTS game comes out. the guy at the top manages RTS players, who manage FPS squad leaders, who manage their squads. hierarchy ftw.
The original Savage: Battle For Newerth (FREE DOWNLOAD) comes pretty damned close to that, and I can only imagine how Savage 2 is (I downloaded it but have yet to try it)

And, about TF in the future, I made my feelings on changing a good thing too much clear a while ago: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...90&postcount=3

But, I really don't feel like arguing anymore. Alls I wants is my Fortress...

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #31
fireb0rn

Quote:
sounds like natural selection, though that's obviously not an MMO. was a really fun game, though, even competitively.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #32
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Kind of like a mix of star wars battlefront but everyone plays and the server should hold something like 64 peeps
Epic

I think Frontlines: Fuel of War takes that approach
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
Constipated_Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
Kind of like a mix of star wars battlefront but everyone plays and the server should hold something like 64 peeps
Epic

I think Frontlines: Fuel of War takes that approach
With a little bit of that HL2 mod called Iron Grip: The Oppression thrown into the mix as well.
It's a mod where you can switch from rts view to fps, vice versa.
Constipated_Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #34
Troop

TF has been dying since qwtf, tfc was no where near as good and i havent played tf2 or fortress forever cos im inbetween decent net connections, but i dont understand why the best online game ever needs to be changed at all, all the updates in technology gfx, internet connections etc and were yet to re-create a game as good as qwtf which only died because they released the source code so the cheats ruined it. I don't understand how tf2 has no grens in it why take the skill level/learning curve out of the game its not only a 2nd weapon thats lost also gren jumps and conc jumps which could take hours to master.

What would do best is just qwtf with updated gfx and a few suttle changes like no bunny hoping (that used to wind me up). The team play and the skills needed in tf have never since been re-created which is a real shame.
Troop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #35
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
TF hasn't been dying since qwtf... TFC or even TF 1.5 were great games and at one point had about as many people playing it that Counter Strike did in it's prime. TFC was a VERY popular game, and it would be a shame to think it's dying. TF2/FF have effectively brought the genre back from the dead because once teleporters were released, and only a couple new maps, with no Source version in it's future at the time, TF watched as it's brothers and sister games like Counter Strike and Day of Defeat get all the attention. I mean, cmon, DOD:S??? That game was incredibly unpopular, and it sucks that they didn't make a source mod for TF. Things would be TOTALLY different now if that were so. However, since Valve chose that path, it allowed for the people who loved TF the most, to get together after HL2 was released and talk about making their OWN mod. I was as furious as they were that the TF fans were getting no support/love from Valve in that respect. So I watched as this mod was being built, not really being active on the old forums, just waiting for the latest Dev Journal to come out or the awesome screenshots to see the visual progress. And I became so much more passionate about TF than I ever had before, because I felt like I was part of something big, even if I didn't participate in the creation of this mod. I am only 1 person, but that adds to the player base. When FF was annouced for a release, I about peed my pants with joy. I heard TF2 was coming out too, and honestly, after watching the Heavy weapons guy TF2 video, I was more excited about it, but I realized I could not forget my roots, and why I played these types of games in the first place. So, I stuck with this mod, even though there were and still are some errors that need fixing, some settings that need changing, and additions that need adding. FF for me is a great game, and I feel it will constantly grow, and for those of you who still believe TF games are dead need to get your head out of the sand, because you could remove ALL the devs from the picture, and still have a decent mod, and because there are people like myself who are also passionate about this type of game, someone will take the torch and run with it. Now WhenFF2.1WillOut?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #36
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
FF for me is a great game, and I feel it will constantly grow, and for those of you who still believe TF games are dead need to get your head out of the sand, because you could remove ALL the devs from the picture, and still have a decent mod, and because there are people like myself who are also passionate about this type of game, someone will take the torch and run with it.
QFT. The war is never over

-Joker

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #37
Troop

TFC was a poor game, it was a step backwards for TF as was Q3F and now it sounds like TF2 is too (like i say i havent played it). im not slagging this MOD off at all cos again i havent played it however TEAMFORTRESS has not been the same since qwtf and if u beleive it is you never played qwtf. like i said tf are my fave games and maybe im asking too much for every other tf game to be as good as or better than qwtf which no one has managed yet by a long shot. I hope they do.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #38
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

TFC is not a poor game. I play FF, TFC, and QWTF depending on the opportuinty, and I would play QWTF alot more if there was a community to play with. TFC carried the legacy of QWTF well, as FF does, and I don't see that your degree of disapproval is merited by the differences between the three games.

That being said, I understand being guilty of snobbery in other, similar cases--CS: Source is not nearly as good as original CS, in my opinion, but I rationalize that by holding that CS: Source was changed too much, in the wrong dimensions, by the misguided forces of VALVe development. TFC and FF weren't subject to the same forces, and so, as I said, they carried the QWTF legacy well enough.

-Joker

Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
Troop

TFC seems really sluggish too me and just not the same quality of gameplay as QWTF this is my opinion, im not slagging tfc off cos i beleive this was really down to the hl engine was not as fast paced as quake engine was, and i again i havent pld FF but i dare say any QWTF player would tell you it hasnt since been replicated in any other fortress game which is a shame. I eagerly await the day it is

Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #40
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troop
TFC seems really sluggish too me and just not the same quality of gameplay as QWTF this is my opinion..
I certainly understand that. I played TFC before anything else, and the first time I played QWTF, the first thing I noticed was that the movement felt wicked fast--the TF Medic feels as fast as the TFC Scout, and the TF Scout feels like it's just taken a caffiene shot and a large cocaine suppository.

I say this: give TFC, and FF, a chance. Play them a bit, and I bet you'll like them just as much as QWTF. Slower speed is easy to get used to. I know that because I usually play Scout class, but I frequently slow down and play Medic. Moving a bit slower is frustrating at first, but after a while it's no bother.

-Joker