ill be playing tomorrow at like 3 pm EST if that helps lol
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
raum
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
something keeps ppl away from this game. my only conclusion was the engine its using, after a while playing ff. its not like every1 is done with fortress games (not including tf2). alot of ppl still plays tfc (both eu and usa). 10+ pickup games are being played everyday in total of both communities.

ff is now being played only in USA afaik, 1-2 pickups per day if its a lucky day.

anyways, the reason why "there are 8 ppl viewing, but not playing" must be that ppl still have desire to play a game like this, if it was properly possible.

ps: its never been game to play in public for me, as its a heavily teambased game and needs to be pld more organised than pubs to have fun. so im not considering pub games (altho it would be a sad scenario again if i did)

Last edited by raum; 01-10-2012 at 01:52 PM.
raum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Can I get in on this beta testing action then?

I submitted an application two years ago, forgot about it, and would like to re-apply.

Also, it was up to 18 viewing at midnight on a monday. There's no way there's that many people. Are there alt accounts being created by a spammer or something?
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Viewing from cell phone at doctors office. Trailer and I will be on later.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
Can I get in on this beta testing action then?

I submitted an application two years ago, forgot about it, and would like to re-apply.

Also, it was up to 18 viewing at midnight on a monday. There's no way there's that many people. Are there alt accounts being created by a spammer or something?
There is no way 18 people are viewing this forum when we have 60 (3 members and 57 guests) currently? Also, There are close to 100 who play regularly, they just don't all play at the same time.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
absolute
VP Marketing
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to absolute
I'm working on drawing in traffic

Stay tuned!

You can start by liking our Facebook page www.Facebook.com/fortressforever
absolute is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
It's been like this since the beginning. In the early days of the game there would be people who probably didn't have the game even installed that would bitch about things every day on the forum.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Also, there are lots of search engines, archive bots, and other assorted things that inflate the "viewer count".
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Ive been playing alot more pub fortress forever recently, and I think I know the REAL problem with this game.

Every day, I see tons of people, 20-30, who join this game for the first time. None of them stay. People play for 30 minutes, leave FF and never come back.

The problem, I believe, is lack of tutorials and guides. Let's take a game like Team Fortress 2. Although it has very little guides, it is a game that is extremely easy to play and requires no explanation to get into. Fortress Forever, on the other hand, is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for new players. I see new players going scout and attempting to play it like they would TF2, because NO ONE TELLS THEM SCOUT ISNT A DEATHMATCH CLASS.

The Fortress Forever training mode was a step in the right direction. Its great. I have friends who have never played a real fortress game and have done the training mode, and who can now bunnyhop and conc jump to a certain extent. Despite this, when new players join, I ask them if they have done the training mode and 90% of them say that they did not even know about it or did not bother doing it! I feel that, not only should Fortress Forever have more tutorials covering a wider range of gameplay aspects, but they should HAVE A NOTIFICATION that encourages people to view the tutorial.

Imagine this: You install the game for the first time. You press join server. A small box pops up, stating that since it is your first time playing you should view the tutorial to learn about the core gameplay elements. There would be a button that directly goes to the tutorial, a button that says "No Thanks, I think I can learn on my own" and there should be a checkbox that says "Never show this again". That way, people will at least be aware of the tutorial. If someone completes the tutorial, the notification should be disabled. If someone presses "No Thanks", it should pop up next time they restart the game. To me its an extremely simple addition that would increase the amount of new players actually staying and playing the game.

Also, absolute, HUGE PROBLEM. I checked out the facebook page, and your download links do not download the full installer, THEY DOWNLOAD THE 2.43 TO 2.44 PATCH! FIX IT NOW, OR THE FACEBOOK PAGE WILL BE USELESS. (EDIT: SQUEEK HAS APPARENTALLY FIXED THIS.)

Last edited by oaties; 01-10-2012 at 08:31 PM.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Oaties for dev team.

But for reals that's a good idea. A little explanation of classes and roles could go a long way.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Perhaps many leave due to the tutorials like you said, but this game is too far from tfc for me to get into. So is tf2.

I am in limbo land.

Then again, I am not even enjoying bm like I thought I would. Perhaps it is ME and not the game?

EDIT: you have facebook? :leaves to link er up:

Last edited by CatzEyes93; 01-10-2012 at 10:51 PM.
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 View Post
this game is too far from tfc for me to get into.
What does this mean?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
oaties

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
What does this mean?
It means that many TFC players dislike FF because it's not like TFC. Obviously, the changes are fairly minor, but many TFC players are turned off by the new aspects that Fortress-Forever introduces to the game. Personally, I love and play both, but many of my TFC playing friends refuse to give FF a try because of "jump pads" and "lasers" and such.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
its very like tfc, no doubt about it. it takes pretty big nostalgia goggles to see otherwise. oaties nails it imo
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I'd like to know what she meant, specifically. I've found that everyone has wildly different ideas in mind when they say something like that.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
oaties

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
I'd like to know what she meant, specifically. I've found that everyone has wildly different ideas in mind when they say something like that.
Ah, that makes sense. Personally, I've never really understood people who say its not like TFC. Sure, its not EXACTLY like TFC, and it does not aim to replace TFC, its just a game for those who enjoy the improved graphics while still keeping the old fortress gameplay

Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
oaties for mayor of Dustbowl.

Also, I'm a really awesome individual. Could you accept my friend request and let me beta test sometime, squeek?

K thx. <3
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 View Post
Then again, I am not even enjoying bm like I thought I would. Perhaps it is ME and not the game?

EDIT: you have facebook? :leaves to link er up:
Actually, I'd like to know what these two phrases mean....

I rather though BM would be the bee's knees.... maybe it's not as much like HL as we believed it would/should be?

Also, if you've got FB, Catz.... hit me up on mine(link in sig).
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
The game is -incredibly- different than TFC, if you compare the two side by side. First off, the physics engines are fairly different. Movement, control, and how it all interacts with weapon speeds, weapon spread, etc...the core fundamentals have tons of minute changes. These add up to give FF a very different feel from TFC. Like I've said before, everything in FF is sort of a spam rush. Offense slams themself against the defense a million times and hopes to get an objective completed. Defense dies a million times trying to prevent that from happening. Even if you consider that TFC was ~3/4ths the speed of FF - that's an incredibly huge difference. Think of all the additional information you have to process - where enemies are coming from, where they're going (since control is so easy in FF, whereas if you saw someone conc in TFC you generally knew where they had to go without running into a wall), stuff like that. Basically, FF is more twitch based, whereas TFC was a mix of individual and team strategy.

Then there's the additions and removals.
Pyro is no longer a support class, it's a boring DPS whore (although flamethrower push and pyrotrimping is very well done, kudos on that).

Spy isn't as fun to me as it was in TFC, because cloak seems like such a boring mechanic. I can go into a 24/7 dustbowl server, feign death behind cap 3 and sit there for 3 minutes praying to jesus that no sniper shoots me, then run out and cap the flag - and FUCK that feels good. Even if I just cloak into the flag each time, eventually scoring a cap...it's droll. Also - no gas grens. Oh, tranq is pretty cool in FF I suppose.

Engi is good except for a lot of the nerfs to the small things (can't dropbag+emp, death bags are useless so you can't repair armor then TK to get cells back, dispenser and sg det radius+damage is completely fucked this patch for some reason, etc).

Medic is a neat change, medkits are a great idea, but I'm still unsure about completely neutering infections, they're essentially useless now. Also the SNG clip is retarded.

I still don't like jump pads. In theory it's great, and it "fits the class feel", but in execution, they just break the game. It's kind of how teleporters ruined TFC. I'd rather see scouts able to slow down the enemy team rather than make it so everyone on his team, including soldiers and heavies, gets a significant speed boost.

Nothing was done to address snipers being the most obnoxious class in TFC. In fact, it was made even worse by adding in radio tags. If it wasn't for the source engine having shoddy hit detection (arguably), snipers alone would make me, as well as a lot of others, not play outright.

Soldiers...apart from the ridiculously strong lasergren right now, all the minor nerfs they seem to have gotten over the past few patches kinda sucks. Such as nerfing rocket radius. They never struck me as overpowered in any way - just the "go-to" defensive class of FF.

Demos are a lot more spammy in FF, which is kinda disheartening for an offensive player. There's almost no delay between firing a pipe and detting it, and the short blue fuse makes spamming against enemies even better. Add into the fact that killing a demo takes him out of the picture for a lot less time than in TFC, AND you're giving him back his grens...even though killing the demo is often the only way to get the flag out, sometimes it just feels like you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing so.

HW changes...I dunno. I haven't played enough HW recently to comment on it. It's a neat idea, dunno if the slowgren is still worth it compared to mirvs, but it does help reduce spamminess while giving him a good tool. And overpressure is fun. I woulda rather just seen a fix to the cone of fire, but whatever.

Movement I already addressed - not only too fast, but too easy to control while being fast. Trimping is -awesome-, if there's one thing that I can say FF did absolutely right, it's trimping. It might be a little buggy, but it adds an element to the game which isn't ever essential, but can be fun and very helpful for accomplishing objectives. Concs are just too powerful as they are now - and by that, I mean handheld concs. Dropconcs kinda suck, because why would you ever need to dropconc or doubleconc in FF, aside from conc maps? The only time I -ever- throw a conc is if I messed up a jump or a fall, and I have to throw it to avoid being slammed into the ground.

Also, HUD/Graphical/Sound/Whatever additions. Such as the killbeep, or hit indicator, or what have you. More differences.

It's all these changes that make FF so different from TFC. Yeah, you can say "still 9 classes, same (kinda) weapons, same general principle" - but when you get into the nitty gritty, you see that FF is quite a far throw from TFC. Not as far as TF2, but still far.

And it's not as though the direction FF went in is a bad thing, but when people say that FF feels too different from TFC - they're completely right.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf

Last edited by Raynian; 01-12-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote