Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Most people would disagree

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
Demasu
Official FF Medic

I agree with him. If they were going to do the alternate reality thing, they could've done it better, with something other than a black hole for the time displacement device. But it really wasn't a good move.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Earlier you said it was a "pretty awesome movie."

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #24
Etzell
D&A Member

Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #25
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
What a shitty flip flop.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #26
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
I agree with him. If they were going to do the alternate reality thing, they could've done it better, with something other than a black hole for the time displacement device. But it really wasn't a good move.
Maybe they should have encountered the USS Cygnus.............
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #27
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
Earlier you said it was a "pretty awesome movie."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
Pretty shitty Star Trek movie. Pretty awesome movie, pretty shitty Star Trek movie.
You're right, I did, however, I did also say it was a pretty shitty Star Trek movie. If you want a sci-fi action movie, it's good, if you want a Star Trek movie, it's shit. Either way, the time travel thing was shit.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #28
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I finally watched this thing so I can speak intelligently to it. I have to say I enjoyed it... but overall I'm sort of indifferent to it. It had to cliche star trek flaws... like the machine in the middle of the ship that serves no purpose but to be dangerous when someone falls in.

I liked the actors over all suprisingly. I think they all did a great job. There are some things I'm not comfortable with. I wont say what to avoid spoilers. I could have done without the little kid playing Kirk. I wanted to kick him the balls. He was so flat with his performance. But he was gone soon so It's ok. I will say that I felt emotion from the movie which is good. I guess just minor things that I disagreed with. But I can't say I hated it. I didn't feel like I wasted my money seeing it in the theaters so that's a plus.

I think I just felt like it was slightly more than mediocre.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #29
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
I guess I'm kinda somewhere in the middle here on this movie. I watched the the original series when I was a kid, and downloaded all of those episodes about 2 years ago for re-evaluation. Now that I was a (semi)mature person I can honestly say that there were about 5 brilliant episodes, 10 good ones, and the rest were mediocre to crap.

On top of that I've got to say that every other Trek thing since then has been about 96% crap, with a few glimmers of hope here and there ("The Wrath of Khan" and DS9). I don't have time to get into this...

This movie though, is about half and half. The story is not well written with most of the characters acting like asshole clones of their former selves.I never like stories that deal with time travel, because I believe it's an impossible concept, so I knew it was going to be loose to begin with. What's worse, all of the mystique, regarding all of the characters' back stories, is gone. This is the worst in regards to Kirk, who was supposed to have had a storied career before being assigned to the Enterprise. All that shit is gone now, and I find it very unrealistic that somebody should pretty much start their Starfleet career as Captain of the fleet's flagship....wtf?

And whats with the academy being the command center of starfleet? Why does it seem like starfleet is only manned by cadets?

I liked the point defense system that all the ships have now, but the massive phaser beam is gone. In fact ALL phaser beams are gone....WTF? What was the matter with a single concentrated beam of energy? Laser-bullets are for fags...that's all I gotta say. The beaming effects are cool though, and I like that they have insisted that all transportations have to originate or end in the transporter room, unlike every Trek after this.

On the plus side all the dialogue is entertaining, and despite the changes all of the characters are likeable in the same ways they used to be. All of the scenes were pretty riveting and kept me very entertained. It's not until you sit through the whole movie when you realize that the story is kinda dumb.

Overall, if you liked the original series at all, you will be entertained by this movie. And that's all I can say about it....it's not brilliant....it's not something I will own....it did not own me....I have seen better. But, it was entertaining.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
I liked this film. I prefer alternate timelines that join back to their origin, giving more depth as to exactly how it all went down. I would think that just returning to the old characters would be enough to make another 10 interesting films, but now they are planning on making more that stray from the lore that has been developed so far.

At that, I'm a little pissed. Maybe it will be canonical in the end, with everything meeting up with star trek the motion picture. That would salvage my $20 at the theatre.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #31
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
I went to an IMAX in Atlantic City yesterday, I was blown away with this film. I fuckin loved it.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #32
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Me and my father went and saw this, he, unlike me, is a Trekie to the core. He hated it. Not the pretty special effects, or even the people playing the characters (except the chick playing Urhura, who was a total slut in the movie), he really disliked the complete disregard for the original series. I however, enjoyed it. I've watched a few of the original series episodes, but I enjoy TNG and particularly First Contact, my favorite Star Trek movie (and still is). Even though I am not entirely familiar with the original series, I do know that Spock has little to no emotion, or rather he controls it and does not show it, so regardless of whether the time line was changed him making out with Urhura would be a load of garbage.

I will give the studio and producers credit, this was a great way to get around the original series and completely remake the franchise so they can make money off of it again. As a great Sci-Fi action flick, this movie is great. As a Star Trek movie, not so much. At least now we know that Picard could whoop this Kirk's ass.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #33
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Shatner (James T. Kirk) all the way. Fuck Picard, that bald bitch.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #34
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
TNG has one thing over the original series, and it isn't Picard.

wait for it....

WORF!
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #35
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
The movie was awesome. I'm a fan of the original series and TNG series (the other series' are complete garbage) and have seen all the previous movies but this was by far the best.

I'm glad they didn't fix the timeline to align back with the previous movies and hope the next set of movies are just as good and have all the same people.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #36
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

I have a thought about the movie and it's been bugging me. First I'll say I watched it again and liked it more. I definitely enjoy the movie so that's all fun things. I also look forward to sequels.

(Possible SPOILER... no direct plot references ahead, but minor ones are in view.)

That said, did anyone else get the feeling that the whole plot was just an excuse to make movies without upsetting die-hard fans? It felt rushed to me. Not in a terrible way or anything like that... but everything that happened was purely coincidental. When you look at the back stories behind each character, while their knowledge was developed their direct plot lines weren't. They all just happened to join star fleet at relatively the same time, they all happened to be assigned the fleet's flagship with no experience at exactly the same time, and they all got promoted within minutes of each other. For me, that's overly convenient and distracting from the relevant plot line. I still enjoyed the movie, but this kind of writing makes me feel like they were only trying to wank their fans a little bit so they'd get less criticism from them during the later movies. Anyone else feel that way or was it just me?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #37
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
Shatner (James T. Kirk) all the way. Fuck Picard, that bald bitch.
Picard was a pussy, except when he was Luscious. I liked him with lasers and shit.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #38
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
That's "Locutus".....
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
That's "Locutus".....
lol, what an interesting spelling error....

I kinda like Picard better to be honest. That said, Kirk is more arrogant, which makes him more fun to watch. But I like Picard because he's got a different perspective on the matter. Seems like he cares more about what happens to the rest of the universe.