Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Outlook Help - XP Profile Corrupted

Greetings,

Helping my dad out - his main xp profile was corrupted. I created a new one and finished copying and pasting into the new (system restore didnt work). Anywho - I found the .pst file for outlook and put into the new correct location, however, I do not know the overall outlook settings he used for connectivity. Is there a file that holds this information? If the .pst is for actual mail items, is there also a file that exsists for settings?

Thanks!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
Greetings,

Helping my dad out - his main xp profile was corrupted. I created a new one and finished copying and pasting into the new (system restore didnt work). Anywho - I found the .pst file for outlook and put into the new correct location, however, I do not know the overall outlook settings he used for connectivity. Is there a file that holds this information? If the .pst is for actual mail items, is there also a file that exsists for settings?

Thanks!
What version of Office is this?

BTW, Outlook typically stores email addresses in the Windows Address Book for that user.

C:\Documents and Settings\{user name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\{name}.wab

The settings for Outlook are in the Registry.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #3
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
xp

hrm...dunno about the registry. when i double click outlook it starts up as if its never been used (as i created a new default xp profile) so it's not pulling from there..
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
xp

hrm...dunno about the registry. when i double click outlook it starts up as if its never been used (as i created a new default xp profile) so it's not pulling from there..
Are you saying that "Registry" isn't known to you or that you didn't check it. If they're available at all you're going to have to pull it from the Registry.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Usually it's default.pst or Outlook.pst, also .ost, by default, it's located under C:\Documents and Settings\*USERPROFILE*\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

There is no file for settings .. Contacts are usually stored in the Windows Address Book, unless changed to something else.
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343024091-507921405-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Export the entire Outlook key to a file.

the name of that long key beginning with S under HKEY_USERS will be different for every computer/user. But it should begin with the letter S and be followed by a long string of numbers and hyphens (-).

Note also that there are two such keys, identical except that one ends in "_classes" and the other does not. The one WITHOUT the _classes is the one you're looking for.

give that a shot, you'll have to find which key was his old profile's
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
note, pst files over 2gb will not restore properly.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The settings should be very easy to get and should be freely available online. who's his ISP? All you really need is incoming and outgoing pop3 mail servers as well as username and password.

Any rules that he had configured will most likely have to be rebuilt.

-Icculus {FYC}
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
If you are asking about Outlook settings because outlook was password protected, try this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pst_password.html.

Otherwise, settings are rather easy as said above .. just re-do them. Having the e-mail and contacts is a big thing, settings are futile.
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote