Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 AM   #61
tu!

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
tf2 is decent, the fucken 20 sec. delay is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying though...

Old 10-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #62
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Solutions:

Quote:
On September 12, 2004, a marketing portal dubbed "Spread Firefox" (SFX) debuted along with the Firefox Preview Release, creating a centralized space for the discussion of various marketing techniques. The portal enhanced the "Get Firefox" button program, giving users "referrer points" as an incentive. The site lists the top 250 referrers. From time to time, the SFX team or SFX members launch marketing events organized at the Spread Firefox website.
Quote:
For the line in the middle, I am thinking... "Are you fed up with respawn times?"

What does a 2 page ad in the NY Times cost anyway? I know the community is certainly very dedicated and a lot of them are willing to chip in money towards the dev team... why not towards advertising for the game (which would be money well spent)?

Could someone find out what a 2 page ad and what a 1 page ad in the NY Times costs?

Ditto on the Village Voice, as soon as The Village sees the Pyro they love it. I mean, come on, a flamer in a firefighter suit! Sexy.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #63
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Solutions:

For the line in the middle, I am thinking... "Are you fed up with respawn times?"

What does a 2 page ad in the NY Times cost anyway? I know the community is certainly very dedicated and a lot of them are willing to chip in money towards the dev team... why not towards advertising for the game (which would be money well spent)?

Could someone find out what a 2 page ad and what a 1 page ad in the NY Times costs?

Ditto on the Village Voice, as soon as The Village sees the Pyro they love it. I mean, come on, a flamer in a firefighter suit! Sexy.
Full Size one page add in the NY times: $181,692.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #64
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Damn, we better start Donating

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #65
Stankyfingers
Kalikop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stankyfingers
ok maybe we should take baby steps...A full page add in our local "Thrifty Nickel" would cost $20. Just think, FF would be seen in every Laundrymat and convenient store in St.Petersburg! Then....THE WORLD!!!! Muahahahahahaaaa...

sorry bout that I always wanted to say then....THE WORLD,followed by an evil laugh.Thought it might be my last chance.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #66
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Better yet:

Kilroy was here.

Scuzzy

Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #67
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
Yeah, honestly I'm very happy with the number of people playing (and loving) FF. The fact that I have been able to hop on any number of <50 ping servers near me and see regulars (and new folks) at any time of day or night is all I really want, and its a solid base to build up from. We definitely have bugs to fix, 2fort to release, and so on

But there are a few big things at work here. If you've noticed, community mods for HL2 have had nowhere near the following they had for HL1. There are many reasons for this, including many more games on the market, official development teams taking on community mods or creating new games based on mods, and more. To be honest, modding is dying out. It's dying out in RPGs, its dying out in FPSs, its dying out everywhere. The simple fact is that there are more games out there, and modders just don't have the resources to compete like we did in the days of HL1. That being said, we can still create an excellent game.

One thing I've noticed after a decade or so playing games is that there will always be the 'hot new games' out, and if you keep snatching them up, not only will you never have a true gaming community (the greatest joy in gaming, in my opinion) but you'll have an empty pocketbook as well If FF can provide a home - even for a little while - for a content, enjoyable community, then I'm happy. And I am happy, because the proof is in the pudding: we've made that community (FF Devs and community members) around this wonderful piece of art. So thank you all for joining in

Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #68
PurpleHz

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Another 'FF is dead' thread.

So now we all know the point of view from everybody on this subject. But i think nobody heard the pov from a TFC-player who isn't playing FF.

I can speak for half the TFC-players (now playing) if I say: YEAH! We want to play FF! However the reason we don't is pretty simple, our PC's can't handle it OR we are to lazy to buy HL2 specially for this game; THEN we better stick to TFC.

I know this sounds stupid but TF2 doesn't really has to do something with the little players playing FF.

Everybody who ever played TFC in his whole life, knows TF2 sucks. So why should we play that one instead of FF?

I think FF is not released at the wrong time this year because of Halo 3 and TF2, but I think it's released a few years to late. Because everybody is getting sick of TFC and DON'T want to play another version of it.

I hope everybody understands my point, because I can't type and explain very good in English.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #69
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
This is the issue with almost all games when a sequel/upgrade comes out. The issue, though, is almost non-existant. Most TFC players are sporting 10k FPS and can easily play HL2. You also don't need to buy HL2 to play FF. You can pay some $15 to be able to play.

It's $15.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #70
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
What does a 2 page ad in the NY Times cost anyway?
Why NY times, where 99% of the readers probably dont have HL2. Just do it in all the big game magazines. You'll spend way less $

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #71
Coolit

Out of 12 members of my clan since FF was launched, 3 have bought new PC's, 2 have upgraded ram/gfx cards and one is still trying to decide which pc to buy.

I think this is a massive issue really

Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #72
LeMaltor

There are lots of games that push you to upgrade, try out some of the latest releases

Old 10-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #73
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolit
Out of 12 members of my clan since FF was launched, 3 have bought new PC's, 2 have upgraded ram/gfx cards and one is still trying to decide which pc to buy.

I think this is a massive issue really
This happens with all games. People will stick around the old game because they don't want to upgrade while others upgrade and move on. Eventually, because of a lack of players, the people who don't upgrade either quit or upgrade.

This happens with almost all games, especially ones with sequels.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #74
reimroc

well FF, in my opinion is more like the original TFC. This is great for the oldschool TFC players that want to upgrade and play the source games and mods.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #75
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
It's dying for so many reasons

1) Patch taking too long - not enough dedication from the dev teams [many moving on to other things/games]

2) They do not have a new website. It shouldn't be hard to make a front page post about hiring new people into the team. This would include: webmaster (to make a completely new website - something fresh and attractive), video editor (to make an official trailer, sup Randal), animator, mappers (we need more maps...), and the most important one, PR PEOPLE! Public relationships and some basic marketing needs to get going or I can't see this game to grow any further
There are hundreds and perhaps thousands of people out there that would love to finish this mod and help it out

3) Absolutely no marketing. Heck, put a paypal donating button in the 'new website'. By avoiding 'spam' and simply being mature about it, maybe we FF lovers can start going to other gaming forums to get the word out

4) I heard many times that: if you can run HL2 just fine, you can run FF. NOT TRUE. It needs to be fixed one way or another, FF is so far the most expensive game I've ever played on my computer (Source Engine)

5) People giving up on the mod simply because it seems that the most, not all, dev teams are simply giving up on it as well.

I could come up with a lot more facts, but I'm sure most has been addressed already.

SO YOU KNOW DEV TEAMS, how about taking some ACTION.

I love this game and I don't want to see it die this soon.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #76
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
i will agree on 2 things before i leave this thread never to return.

1.) i agree alot of ppl say they machines cant handle it so they dont play(even though they'd like to). hell even my machine can barely handle it(should have my new one up and running by next weekend).

2.) advertisement is another big part of why FF is "lacking in players" not "dying". everybody that comes on our server(TFC) i say "hey man how do you like FF?" and most of them respond "whats that?" so i explain to them and show them the way.

now..i'm leaving..
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #77
df`

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTiger
4) I heard many times that: if you can run HL2 just fine, you can run FF. NOT TRUE. It needs to be fixed one way or another, FF is so far the most expensive game I've played on my computer
Seems like a lot of people are choosing TF2 over FF simply on account of the fact that it performs so much better. I don't understand it really, I built my computer around the same time HL2 came out pretty much specifically for that game, and for the successor to TFC that I knew was forthcoming (although who knew it would have been this long). It was pretty high end at the time, but it's a paperweight compared to today's dual core machines with multiple graphics cards and multi-gigabyte main memory. And yet, I get silky smooth performance in FF and TF2 (1024*768, DX9, no AA or AF, high texture quality) except for when there's so many things moving around and exploding, on maps like push, that it overwhelms my 1GB RAM and outmoded single core processor. But it's very playable.

Then these people with these mondo rigs come on and whine about low FPS, it's unplayable wtf, and so on. There must be some low-level issue in the game that just isn't agreeing with some people's configurations, and I hope the devs can figure it out. In the meantime... maybe people should think about downgrading their machines? I dunno.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #78
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTiger
1) Patch taking too long - not enough dedication from the dev teams [many moving on to other things/games]
The game has been out a month.

1 of them.

Not 8.

Not 4.

This many: 1.

WoW didn't release a patch for months about a month after BC was released. This issue is moot. Couldn't read past this because of a natural assumption that the rest of the points are just as bad as this.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #79
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Also about the patch, its being tested first.
I havent had time to do it myself but I will when I get the chance

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #80
reimroc

TF2 is so completely not like the original game. Thats why i like FF because it comes damn close to the original gameplay

Closed Thread