Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
o_polaris

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Then my memory and http://www.planetfortress.com/tfc/about.shtml is wrong. What they used to make TFC could've been stuff from their work in Q2 but Valve didn't bring in TeamFortress Software in order to put out a port of TF on the HL engine.
No they just bought them outright. I guess we would have to ask Valve themselves for the exact circumstances.
o_polaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
o_smurf

It would be cool if the FF guys brought back that intro. Not the same, but in a similar vein. Although I don't think you can have live action intros in Source (for some reason they stopped that style after Quake 2 ).
o_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #23
o_polaris

Actually they had somethin like that in Quake 3, right after the cg intro.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #24
o_smurf

Well if they can, they should do one and set it to this music. Ever since World Cup 98 I thought "This is what TF (now FF) should come back to".
o_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #25
o_cr0c0dile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel
It's time for the FF fanbase to take action against sites like this that clearly don't know what we all really think about the release of TF2.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/718/718838p1.html

scroll to the bottom after reading the article and click contact the editors. I urge everyone to e-mail them explaining that the TFC fanbase stopped relying on Valve a long time ago, and that the release of FF is much more anticipated in our eyes (especially with the annouce of Beta and media updates). Be courteous but firm, and i guarantee we will get a result on either their news or mailbag section. And don't forget to link the editors to the FF website--www.fortress-forever.com
TF2 rules! I cant wait!
o_cr0c0dile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #26
o_ihmhi

Tim Buckley, creater of Ctrl-Alt-Delete (http://www.cad-comic.com) said on his website yesterday:\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Buckley
A Scanner Darkly was awesome. If it's playing near you, I highly recommend it.

And have you seen the graphical style that Teamfortress 2 will be using? I love it.

Everyone is so focused on making games realistic nowadays, it's nice to see we can still use our ever-increasing processing power to create something with some style. The cartoony characters will fit the game perfectly. I'm really excited about this title now.

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1159
I do not know if he knows about FF or not, so I sent him an e-mail talking about it. Maybe if a few of us write him he will at least give us a mention.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #27
o_atari

but fortress-forever doesn't have a 'cartoony characters' style, so why would he be interested?
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #28
o_d3pth charge

Quote:
It's time for the FF fanbase to take action against sites like this that clearly don't know what we all really think about the release of TF2.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/718/718838p1.html

scroll to the bottom after reading the article and click contact the editors. I urge everyone to e-mail them explaining that the TFC fanbase stopped relying on Valve a long time ago, and that the release of FF is much more anticipated in our eyes (especially with the annouce of Beta and media updates). Be courteous but firm, and i guarantee we will get a result on either their news or mailbag section. And don't forget to link the editors to the FF website--www.fortress-forever.com
Speak for yourself, not others. You aren't the community and just because you don't want TF2 doesn't mean nobody else does. Also, IGN is a professional top-tier game news website, and they aren't really concerned with a 3000 person community like TF has. They write for the general consumer, who wants to know about what Valve is doing, so no they aren't doing the "wrong thing." Every site has an audience they write to, don't expect IGN to start holding independent mod communities' testicles when they have a job to do.

Leave it to HL fan sites like PHL or HL2.net to promote FF big-time, which (at least PHL) is going to do for sure.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #29
o_sobe green

For Valve they need variety. Another "realistic fps" would be just another game. Keep in mind alot of the people playing CS:S and DoD:S have never played Half-Life, Quake, Quake 2, or even have the slightest clue what TF stands for. Alot of them haven't even played the HL versions of those two games. So Valve releases something a little different. These exact people are going to buy and play it simply because it looks cool. They don't care if it is anything like the original as long as it plays good and looks good. These people are the future. Either we embrace it and show them how great things can be or you can go make topics like this and do nothing but negative things for the community as a whole. Like it or not FF and TF2 share the same roots. Embrace.

After seeing all the different ports of TF and TFC along with some different ideas and features I'm excited to see what Valve has done. Thus far FF has made me buy new pants on many occasions. Brown and yellow stains do not attrack the ladies let me tell ya.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #30
o_lchlucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtoofa
By all means, tell your friends about FF... but don't go VALVe bashing in the name of FF.

I'm interested to see how TF2 turns out, and I think that the advertising of TF2 can only mean good things for the various TF communities.
Yup I agree, love to see player levels surpass 99-2000. Thats just good news for everyone. If the team fotress player model can succeed like the counterstrikes and BF2s, it would be great news for all of us that love any TF game regardless of which they prefer.

The more the merrier.
o_lchlucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 AM   #31
o_tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnarf
Speak for yourself, not others. You aren't the community and just because you don't want TF2 doesn't mean nobody else does. Also, IGN is a professional top-tier game news website, and they aren't really concerned with a 3000 person community like TF has. They write for the general consumer, who wants to know about what Valve is doing, so no they aren't doing the "wrong thing." Every site has an audience they write to, don't expect IGN to start holding independent mod communities' testicles when they have a job to do.

Leave it to HL fan sites like PHL or HL2.net to promote FF big-time, which (at least PHL) is going to do for sure.
Um, ok buddy if they didn't care about a 3000 person community at all they wouldnt have bothered making the game kthx. yeah and i wasnt trying to speak for everyone, just hosting my opinion and saying that people who feel the same way should email IGN. im tired of people attacking my posts, if you dont agree, i dont need you to post rambling bullshit, say you dont agree and leave it at that.
o_tercel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #32
o_puppychow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0C0DILE
TF2 rules! I cant wait!
do everyone a favor and stay and the catacombs....your tool'ness knows no bounds.

Last edited by o_puppychow; 07-18-2006 at 03:57 AM.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 AM   #33
o_hughj

The fact that there seems to actually be some buzz for this TF2 is a great thing. The biggest problem FF could have had was nobody caring about another fortress game anymore, having FF turn out like Q3F or ETF (only the veterans knowing of it, and bothering to play it.) If TF2 attracts a decent sized new fanbase, that's all the better.

From what I recall, there was a fair bit of backlash against TFC from a lot of the QWTF community both before and after release. The game felt too different, etc.
o_hughj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 AM   #34
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibunny
Btw. Valve is making a big mistake by making it "way too cartoony", because The Community doesn't want a "cartoony" TF... hell, even ETF is "too cartoony" for The Community

I'm sorry, I had to say that ^_^
Judging by all the "toon" models and textures circulating the 'net for TFC, I'd say Toony is what a lot of TFC players wanted. Then they get it and they bitch. Sigh.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #35
o_polaris

Releasing the "realistic" models for TFC was a mistake, imo. The original TFC models though not as visually appealing were more easily identifiable and had more individual style.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #36
o_rannibunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651ett
I never realized it was so gay in it's Quake days.
Well, I guess we have to take his balls...
Sorry mate, there's nothing we can do about it.
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #37
o_d3pth charge

Quote:
Um, ok buddy if they didn't care about a 3000 person community at all they wouldnt have bothered making the game kthx. yeah and i wasnt trying to speak for everyone, just hosting my opinion and saying that people who feel the same way should email IGN. im tired of people attacking my posts, if you dont agree, i dont need you to post rambling bullshit, say you dont agree and leave it at that.
Um... what game did IGN make? I was referring to IGN not caring about the small hardcore TF population (hence my whole point about whinging to them will do nothing). I wasn't talking about the FF team.

Anyway, sorry, I guess. I get a little defensive when companies I work for are attacked.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #38
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtoofa
By all means, tell your friends about FF... but don't go VALVe bashing in the name of FF.

I'm interested to see how TF2 turns out, and I think that the advertising of TF2 can only mean good things for the various TF communities.
What the schtoofa fellow said. Furthermore, if FF fans go bashing TF2 and mentioning us, it may well do harm to our cause.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 AM   #39
o_lucid

Well clearly, you were speaking for yourself. Although a high amount of TFC players "may" agree with you, IGN is not boasting TF2 in the voice of the entire FF community. If at all, any community. Nonetheless, I must say the TF2 look is an interesting choice for valve. I am actually excited to see how this game will end up, it should be interesting to see what type of demographics the style of this game will bring. Not to make any presumptions, but it will be interesting to see if this new spy vs spy look will attract more of the teen group that raves on counter-strike, or like TFC a variety of uncategorized people.
o_lucid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #40
o_ghost

Quote:
Umm, they aren't reporting the news to spite a small community. They are reporting the news because it is A.) One of a couple games fans have been waiting to get their hands on for years and B.) A new game from Valve, one of the most well known game companies.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not supposed to have an opinion that differs from yours so I guess I'll just say "I disagree."
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote