Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Carrots

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
weapons??

ok, well i tried counter strike 1.6 a few days ago for the first time, and i loved it -- but mainly for only 1 reason

can you guess? yes, the SICK reload animations, and the awesome weapon models.

i think ff would be tons more successful if the devs could work on how the weapons looks, and how they are reloaded. just take an example from cs, and do what they did, they have countless numbers of ppl playing their game.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Have you been playing FF with your eyes closed? Our weapon models and animations are fantastic, in my opinion.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Carrot,
Make a few youtube videos showing the weapons and reload animantions so we can see the difference. I don't have CS and am interested to see why you feel they are better.

Scuzzy

Old 11-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Carrots

i hope thats sarcasm squeek

and scuzzy, i dont have time to do that lol -- its the combo of the look of the weapon, teh reload animation, and the sound

Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
cs source weapons are amazing cuse they are like the real thing : p ak 47 yam m16 yawm, but ff isnt realistic so . p
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Carrots, if you think they can be improved, then either improve them or give suggestions as to how they can be improved. Generic and unfocused criticism with zero constructive qualities is not welcome here, and never will be.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread's primary purpose is trolling.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 11-26-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
SSCUJO

on that note there is a huge community for CS custom weapon models, is it possible to use a weapon model form CS or a custom CS model and change a FF model to that?
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
FF's reload anims have never been the greatest. They get the job done, but there is much room for improvement.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Carrots

ok, well here it is

make the super shotgun, a bit like an actauly shotgun, with 2 barrels, but dont lose the entire ff shotgun feel, cause i like that. add a reload animation , and make the shot sound satisfying -- i really like this one, but the sound can be tweaked a bit

the rocket launcher, personally, i use the quake one. idk how it can be made better, it is pretty good atm.

autorifle -- make it sound fucking sick, make it look like

(first miniute)

and make it sound like

mini shotgun -- make it sound better than it actually is

heavy weapons -- perfect

sniper rifle -- i really like this one

railgun -- decent

pipes -- not bad (i like the glow)

fire rocket launcher -- looks a bit big, dont make the projectile curve so much, make it look more like the rocket launcher

ic -- great

in general, sounds and looks of weapons are very important

Old 11-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Guns in CS are... guns used in real life. Go on any website where you can 'buy' 3d models, and you'll find thousands of guns used in real life. TFC + FF are unique, and I disagree with you, the modelling is exceptional. The reason why the guns used in CS look amazing, is because they're based on real objects. TFC, and subsequently FF, are trying to be as realistic and modern as possible, without being super extremely sci-fi.

Besides, there's better things to bitch about when it comes to modelling. I think weapon modelling in this game is excellent, however the player models are absolutely terrible. They're dark, awkward, and so much so that I just use the AO cell-shaded TFC models ported by Jester. If you want realism in fortress weapons, you can find literally thousands of versions online anywhere, but I think the majority of people realize how and why things are the way they are in this game.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Sebhael

Class/Position: Pyro | O
Send a message via AIM to Sebhael Send a message via MSN to Sebhael Send a message via Yahoo to Sebhael
I just had to log in to reply to this.

Really? *Fortress games have never been reliant on visual aesthetics. These games are geared towards fast-paced action.

The most you need to know when playing any Fortress game is what your role is, you should never be sitting around enjoying visuals. Shit is moving way too fast, and there's always something going on that you should be paying attention to other than yourself.

If FF was your standard game I would care about what it looks like, in terms of animations and sounds. But really, all I care about this game is that it's kept a hold of everything I've loved about the real Fortress series. If you're just going to complain about the way things look instead of the actual "mathematics (physics, b-hop/damage/etc cvars)" then I think you need a new game because most of the people playing this game are only concerned about the same thing as I've mentioned.

I don't want to make this post out to be completely negative, I'm just saying. FF has kept a lot of things alive that a lot of people enjoy, visuals should be the last thing on the list for the dev team to work out; you do also understand that you, yourself, could re-animate the weapons--all you have to do is ask for the source files from the devs.

It will take some learning, and some actual work--but in the long run it would be highly beneficial for you. Not only would you walk away with what you wanted, but you'd walk away with a brand new potential hobby, and experience in a new development area.
Sebhael is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
If visuals don't matter, then why was FF added to source? They could've probably much easier made their own mod on the HL1 engine.

Basides that though, the models do look nice for the most part, except for maybe the single shotty and the nailgun. As far as animations go, they need to have quick actions like you would expect a gun to have. Reloading rockets your RPG just LOOKS slow. But, it's only a few animations that are not great really. I'd much rather have a new running animation so it doesn't look like I'm taking a shit in midair than new weapon animations.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
As a dissenting opinion I think they look fine and any improvements won't impact the playerbase in any way. I always though the job on the pipe launcher especially was cool, like it was a giant revolver.

The only animation I'd like to see a little more work on is the medpack. Right now the thrusting motion is pretty subtle and considering how you can't just hold it down and have it hit like you could in TFC, when it's supposed to be impacting is more important.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
immortal
BADASS

Class/Position: D Solly, O Med
Gametype: kill.conc.cap
Affiliations: [TALOS]
in my - not even humble - opinion FF models and animation are great.
you cannot change much of it since it's a fast game and having a shotgun crossing you screen after every shot you definitely bother a lot of people, including me.

this mod just need advertising, but we don't have the money to do so. one thing we could do is send some letters to games reviewers and ask them to take a look on FF, and if they like, publish a review on theirs site on whatever.

Last edited by immortal; 11-29-2009 at 01:48 PM.
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
ok, well i tried counter strike 1.6 a few days ago for the first time, and i loved it -- but mainly for only 1 reason

can you guess? yes, the SICK reload animations, and the awesome weapon models.
Are you fucking kidding me?

Quote:
i think ff would be tons more successful if the devs could work on how the weapons looks, and how they are reloaded. just take an example from cs, and do what they did, they have countless numbers of ppl playing their game.
Anyone leaving/not playing this game because of its goddamn reload animations wouldn't last five minutes anyway and end up quitting because they can't accomplish anything. The animations are like a screening process at this point.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Pretty silly thread.

Obviously the animations and everything else is the best the past/present devs can do. Under whatever circumstances. It isn't like they said to themselves "screw doing "sick" stuff I'll just do a half arsed job."
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
Are you fucking kidding me?

Anyone leaving/not playing this game because of its goddamn reload animations wouldn't last five minutes anyway and end up quitting because they can't accomplish anything. The animations are like a screening process at this point.
when i first started playing tfc, i didnt learn how to conc or bunnyhop for at least a year and a half

i didnt realize tfc was a fast game, and that you had to do rampslides, bhop etc.

so i played it, and i finnaly learned these things. im saying to grab ppls attention, you gota have stuff that people like -- people who play fps's like cod4 css etc.

i dont give a fucking damn about how the weapons look, i give a damn about how newcomers think the weapons look

Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
Have you been playing FF with your eyes closed? Our weapon models and animations are fantastic, in my opinion.
Quote:
i hope thats sarcasm squeek

and scuzzy, i dont have time to do that lol -- its the combo of the look of the weapon, teh reload animation, and the sound
Quote:
i dont give a fucking damn about how the weapons look, i give a damn about how newcomers think the weapons look
You sure about that?
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
And high quality models are super easy to make, right? Do you also not care about how weapon models are made?

This basically sums up the situation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
Obviously the animations and everything else is the best the past/present devs can do. Under whatever circumstances. It isn't like they said to themselves "screw doing "sick" stuff I'll just do a half arsed job."
But, there is also a second thing: Time is limited. We have to prioritize, and improving the weapon models is/should be dead last on that list. It's certainly possible that we can improve them, but it is not necessary or even worthwhile at this point.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 11-29-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #20
Wisp

Animations, weapon sounds and models are a major factor that contribute to the "feel" of the game. If they feel right, the game will be more fun. If they feel off, the game will be less fun. In many ways, it as important as good balance and level design. So disregarding it as trivial is unwise.

As it so happens, many weapons in Fortress Forever feel weak and subsequently, are not fun to use. Good examples are the normal shotgun, nailgun, flamethrower, and auto rifle. In my opinion, the normal shotgun is a travesty and should be redesigned from scratch. It's tiny, and feels weaker than a pistol. It doesn't even shoot like a shotgun. It's accurate and doesn't do a lot of damage. So why is it called a shotgun? All it does is confuse players. At this point, I feel like the damage has been done and this game will find it next to impossible to attract new players. More attention should have been spent at the beginning making the game accessible and communicating all aspects of the game to players in a fluid and intelligent manner, just as TF2 does. Making a shotgun fire like a shotgun, as insignificant as you might think it is, adds up to a bigger picture of, "This game is confusing and stupid" that I'm sure goes through the minds of a lot of first time players. Health packs that look like backpacks. A medic who doesn't really heal people. A sniper rifle that doesn't seem to shoot a bullet when you click Mouse 1. Concussion grenades that don't actually cause concussions, only they make you fly (how is that obvious to a new player?). These are all issues that should have been a priority.

This game assumes you loved TFC, know every aspect of it like the back of your hand, and don't care about aesthetics. It turns out TFC is a dated game, and that makes FF dated. It's no wonder TF2 is so much more popular and higher regarded among the gaming community. I try to tell my gaming friends about FF, and they all dismiss it, knowing the reputation it has for being just as I described.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote