Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Does anyone actually like attack/defense

They seem really boring and mindless. As attacker you just run for the flag, maybe bring it a few steps closer if you`re lucky, die and repeat. As defender you just need demomen putting all of their pipes under the flag to blow up whoever gets near and a couple soldiers spamming, maybe an SG and an HWguy. It isnt fun...

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I used to like strictly CTF but now i'm liking AVD more and more. Ksour, cornfield, Avanti_classic, Palermo. All fun maps.

From what I notice, most of the issues with AVD happen when the offense all work independently of each other. The key is to have good teamwork and quick followup in moving the flag.

If offense is all running off doing their own thing and there's no communication it can be very frustrating and way too easy for the defending team.

CTF is probably more suited to the pub environment because of all the newer players and the fact that it allows for a more independent playing style but i've had some great times playing AVD too.

-Icculus

Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
I personally feel AvD is better for a pub environment, since the objectives are more aligned with the walk and shoot mentality of pubbers, rather than CTF. AvD wasn't my thing in TFC, but in FF it's much more fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
AvD wasn't my thing in TFC, but in FF it's much more fun.
It's the opposite for me. Dustbowl was the bomb back in TFC, in FF AvD is mindless and boring (for me).

Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Ok, where's my banhammer...?

Seriously, yes, I think it suits a more organised playstyle. Not so organised as everyone's taking the game far too seriously... but a bunch of guys who know what their doing. In essence, a sort of less formal pickup, but for AvD maps, is a decent description of what I mean.

I do somewhat agree with the fact that it takes a bit of learning to get the most out of the game type, despite the condecending opinion I've seen elsewhere that AvD is for pubbers and people who enjoy mindless random spam.

And not every pubber is a "run and gun" player... some of us just hate clanning/taking the game seriously for whatever reason...

EDIT: I do agree AvD is generally less enjoyable in FF than in TFC...

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...

Last edited by Pon; 11-25-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Am I the only person that prefers the role switching of maps like ksour to the "red team is always D" gameplay like dustbowl?

It pisses me off to join in a server, wanting to play a certain side and having to play either team to balance it out rather than playing the team I want to play.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
Am I the only person that prefers the role switching of maps like ksour to the "red team is always D" gameplay like dustbowl?

It pisses me off to join in a server, wanting to play a certain side and having to play either team to balance it out rather than playing the team I want to play.
Yea role switching is a good feature.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
No, your not, quite a few of the guys who play AvD prefer that style. But I don't .

One thing I dislike about role switching is you often get players who switch teams after each round so they are always on the attacking team (sometimes the defenders as well, but most often the attackers)...

Mostly it pisses me off that they unbalance the teams when they do it, and don't give a shit.

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...

Last edited by Pon; 11-25-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I actually enjoy playing an AvD or I/D map once in a while, but definitely prefer the role switch I/D style as it gives me a chance to hone my skills in both O and D while still changing things up.

Which reminds me...pon, you and I need to seriously go over the_cove sometime soon!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Fuck yes thecove.

And whether I like AvD/ID depends largely on the map. I hated ksour in TFC, but something about it in FF makes it bearable. I actually prefer AVD (Dustbowl style) over ID (avanti style). Each cap is more important in AVD, getting the flag there is a challenge. In ID, it's almost like it's just a race to cap as fast as possible. e.g. ksour - cap 1 is the hardest cap point, usually, and after that the next three points just fly by.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Easy answer, if AvD didn't exist, I never would have gotten into TFC or FF. I find CTF boring in pretty much any game. The only objectives are points, which isn't much of a goal for me. In AvD you have more tangible objectives and consequences (it moves the spawn forward / can end the game) and they have WAY more action than CTF (except maybe xpress). Plus they go well with a pub environment. If someone on your team doesn't have a clue, but just wants to deathmatch, he's still helping your team, while you can focus on objectives and circumventing or enforcing defense. Finally, I think the maps are more interesting. CTF is almost always a mirror image map layout, most of which consist of just some nice yard, followed by a bunch of concrete corridors.

So I find AvD has more action, is more fun, more intuitive, easier for newcomers to grasp, and more engaging visually.

EDIT: I would say that if you find AvD mindless, you should probably try some different classes/positions. Some maps take a good deal of tactics and strategy, especially for offense v. a strong defense. Except maybe for vertigo with 22 people. There's not a lot of room for maneuvering there.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 11-26-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pon View Post
One thing I dislike about role switching is you often get players who switch teams after each round so they are always on the attacking team (sometimes the defenders as well, but most often the attackers)...

Mostly it pisses me off that they unbalance the teams when they do it, and don't give a shit.
This can be easily cured by removing the "change teams" key. Auto-team all the way.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Carrots

once you see ppl such as gator play ctf, you will change your mind

Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I love AvD maps, actually in pubs I'd rather play those than ctf. I like ctf in pickups, but I just have lots of fun in pubs. Especially ksour_classic.

Although I like AvD in FF, the only reason why I liked it more in TFC was because of dustbowl.

tfc dustbowl was the shit. I would play it for hours and hours on 24/7 servers.

FF dustbowl just feels too cluttered, I trip up everywhere on it, and it just does not play the same.

Also I think the fact the community is soo small it can't support a 24/7 server. That's a huge part of it, playing with the same guys over and over for hours on the same maps makes it far more interesting. You learn their play style, you know who to watch out for, and you try and beat your friends on the enemy team.

Demo boosting fatties by far one of the funnest things to do, can't do that in FF .

another fun thing was on offense to try and build a teleporter/sg behind enemy lines and laugh when they struggled to take it down, while a 2nd/3rd engy built their teleporter right next to yours and your whole team is teleporting in in waves. lol good times.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Hammock: Yeah, Dustbowl and Warpath were pretty much all I ever played in TFC, only occasionally doing other maps. I think the FF speeds are what make dustbowl now seem smaller.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 11-27-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
I liked AvD much more in tfc, but in FF I don't really favor one over the other.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #17
Shadow xXx

i like it , it makes fun and isnt boring ;P
ctf is great too

see ya~

Old 11-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
CTF is far superior to any type of AvD mode, both on publics and in clan/pickup play.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xks View Post
CTF is far superior to any type of AvD mode, both on publics and in clan/pickup play.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Genghis, just curious - are you retarded? Opinion is kinda the basis for this entire goddamn thread.

Closed Thread