Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Kommy000
Good ole KaliKop

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF server problems

I have no idea why this is so difficult. I used to run TFC server since 1999, no problem. So finally got into Source server hosting. I setup the HLDS server files, test ran Deathmatch, no problems. Now downloaded the Fortress forever windows server files directly from gaming server. I have never installed any mods, so I unzipped it into the main directory. Started the server with the correct -game FortressForever line. No problem it started fine. Now I tried connecting to it and it shows it as passworded.
What the heck??? I checked back and force and I do not have any config files, I even placed my own config file with only server name and map and it still shows it passworded. What is going on?? How do I remove the password. I restarted server multiple times and it still shows it passworded. Can't connect to my own server.
Anybody has any ideas?

GOD BLESS IT!!!, did a search and found couple of posts here about server.cfg and sombody mentioned file valve.rc So I connected back to my dedicated server found the file and long and behold there is that setting in one of the lines that passwords the server. Holy c...p!!! now why the heck would somebody do that

Last edited by Kommy000; 09-14-2007 at 03:48 AM.
Kommy000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
arakcheev

Send a message via ICQ to arakcheev Send a message via AIM to arakcheev
Yeah, that threw me off the first run through. Fixed it pretty quick though.
arakcheev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
ThwartedEfforts

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF really really needs a simple walkthrough or FAQ on setting up a server. At the moment the process involves leaning on acquired knowledge, whispered prayers and the waving of juju sticks, meaning if you're a 'server virgin' you're completely screwed.

Like the OP I copied the FortressForever folder over and the rest was guesswork. There are some very useful bits of information here (e.g. the suggested -ticrate) but they're scattered about.

Should we start something in this thread?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

You're right. I don't know anything about it, though. I'll try and get someone who knows about this stuff to post one. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
ThwartedEfforts

Hi Defrag. I had the PCZ server set up and working last night... at least I thought I did. On closer inspection this morning, and despite it showing "VAC secure mode enabled", scrolling back shows a zillion error messages such as:

Code:
Error: Material "models/player/engineer/engineer_acc_green" : proxy "Add" not found!
Error: Material "models/error/new light1" : proxy "Sine" not found!
SV_StartSound: npc/headcrab/headcrab_burning_loop2.wav not precached (0)
SV_StartSound: ambient/fire/fire_small_loop2.wav not precached (0)
SV_StartSound: npc/headcrab/headcrab_burning_loop2.wav not precached (0)
SV_StartSound: ambient/fire/fire_small_loop2.wav not precached (0)
Error: Material "models/buildable/detpack/detpack" : proxy "AnimatedTexture" not found!
Error: Material "models/buildable/detpack/detpack" : proxy "AnimatedTexture" not found!
The server is shown in Steam lists but is unresponsive when you attempt to join. Any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

As far as I know, those shouldn't affect the server's running (it's just the odd missing bit of content from maps & stuff). Pretty much every server has those same errors on starting up.

The problem may be something else; sorry I can't be more specific right now.

Last edited by Defrag; 09-14-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
ThwartedEfforts

Cheers fella. I'll investigate further this evening.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i've tried fixing those sound precaches, but its out of my hands. it should be getting precached because it's all in the manifest. perhaps its a code issue?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Kommy000
Good ole KaliKop

Same thing here. For some reason I get a lot of contnet errors when the server loading, but once loaded it works fine. Actually played on the server full with 16 people for 3 hours. Never got kicked or game frozen. It was perfect. Only thing there some glitches like score keeping that wasn't keeping up with kills. It was on hunted map.
But I guess if content and textures are not loading results in smooth server. lol Im ok with that. Either way the game looked good, not sure where the stuff was missing

Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Kommy000
Good ole KaliKop

fpsbooster

anybody using that fps booster thingy on their server? Do you leave the console window up after you run the file??? Do you run it before you start server or after or does it matter.
All I see is cmd window pop up and it says press any key to stop it. Have no idea if it did anything. Server runs pretty good without it.
Anyway to check see if it did anything for client fps?