Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #61
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
A lot of my friends have been asking for a beta key from me know... I don't think they understand that it ties to an account and isn't just a regular key...

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #62
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Thats because many people recieved a second key from Blizzard. That second key was intended to go to friends to get more people (who will play) into the beta, but a) some people haven't gotten a second key and b) the keys aren't activated yet.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #63
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If anybody gets a key and wanna gift it to me for some reason... say, to thank me for the map I made for this game, or any other reason , I will accept the gift with tremendous joy and send chocolate kisses flying back at you.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #64
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I did get a key... right after I posted that, lol.

Also, ADD ME ON SC2: mooga.mooga

Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #65
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
I got my third key today... this one was actually labeled as "invite a friend" as opposed to the second key I recieved about a week after the first key.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #66
Hawk Eye
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Well if any of you in the in-crowd run out of friends, I could use a key.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #67
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I'd like one too if anyone ever has one to spare.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #68
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I wish I would get another key or two. The first one went to a friend who I don't think even plays.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #69
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I've watched a good number of videos of 'pros' playing and I'm kinda... .

I mean, it looks great visually, the animations are smooth and crisp but... there seems to lack any strategic depth. Like, each faction has one or two BO's that ever get used and it's more up to the execution of the BO and less up to, say, the micromanagement, the tactical decisions (very few people ever put their units in those smoke plume walls as an example... I don't even know if those do anything but it seems like they obscure vision), or the more basic decisions of boom/tech/rush.

Every single Terran I've seen play goes infantry and siege tanks. I rarely see transports (often paired with those guys that shoot fire... are they firebats? they look different), ghosts... hell, I don't even know if they have any Science Vessels. Never sene one.

Zerg players tend to play in a lot of different ways, but I can't ever really seem to see much of a difference between the units.

And I don't even know what the 'Toss are doing. I've seen like two games with them in it and both times they get those three legged walker units that don't seem to do much of anything other than look terrifying and then they die.

I dunno. I get the same vibe from Supreme Commander 2. There seems little in the room for tactical choices. Kind of like with Red Alert 3.

If somebody can show me some play of various 'out of the box' strategies that are viable I'll probably be interested, but I haven't seen much in terms of originality yet. Somebody show me something fun.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #70
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
If somebody can show me some play of various 'out of the box' strategies that are viable I'll probably be interested, but I haven't seen much in terms of originality yet. Somebody show me something fun.
This is probably one of the more interesting ideas I've seen.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #71
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Credge, wouldn't it be helpful to know what the units you are watching do/are before saying things about lack of variety in strategies? You might not be wrong, but I think it's pretty easy to educate yourself about SC2 given the extensive coverage. Even reading the blog posts over at teamliquid.net alone would likely either confirm or deny your theory (or from what I've read [a very small amount], a mix of both). This one is especially interesting.

I think you might just be expecting way too much from a game only a half-dozen weeks into its closed beta. Give it some time.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #72
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

I do know what most of the units do. That is, what most of the units people use do. I also know what some of the units people don't use do, and that's why I'm unimpressed with the game at the moment. It's RA3 all over again.

There are a good number of really cool units with really cool abilities (the Arx, as was shown above for example), but nobody uses them. A few weeks in, we're still more about the Starcraft 1 style of BO execution>everything than the Strategy/Tactics/Micro>everything thing that everybody is waiting for.

I mean, sure. You're always going to have more traditional players and it's really cool to see SC1 style play works in SC2. I guess what I'm looking for is something more WC3 in style... like the Arx stuff.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about, all from that blog:

Here's an example of a different start that's 100% in line with what I'm looking for. Then it kinda turns in to a typical Terran build. Marines and Siege Tanks with bunkers. But that's cool because of the gambit.

Never anything wrong with a Zerg rush. Brood Lords are cool, but the Terran player didn't do anything... different. I don't know if it's because Terran alternatives just suck (judging by their other units, I'd say that's not the case) or if it's because Terran players are boring. A part of me says that the only thing that works for Terrans is the typical, and that saddens me.

And just because I'd like to put up a video of a Protoss player winning:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community...owtopic=584733

The commenatary is retarded but blues strat made me smile. He didn't execute it properly, and it's nothing really new or unique, but that early rush allowed for some cool tech. That pylon in the other players base was smart as well. Of course... Zealots/Stalkers for the first half of the game from both sides.

That's sort of what I'm talking about. It's like RA3 =\. Stalkers are really cool but eeeeeeverybody uses them. It's like... why pick Rampage?

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #73
Hawk Eye
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I've seen an increase in the new units lately. Ravens seem incredible vs Zerg with their seeker missiles.

IMO, we're at a stage where people really are clinging to their old SC1 BOs, etc. But that's looking like it's starting to change up as players realize how useful / interesting some of the newer strategies can be. Especially against someone sticking with a SC1 mentality.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #74
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

The problem I'm having is that is seems 20 small crap units will take out 15 large powerful units EVERY TIME. That and anti-air units only help if you are getting attacked by a single air unit...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #75
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
The problem I'm having is that is seems 20 small crap units will take out 15 large powerful units EVERY TIME. That and anti-air units only help if you are getting attacked by a single air unit...
The biggest issue I've had when I'm playing is when I play against a Terran and he goes Marine/Marauder/Medivac rush. There's just like, nothing I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
There are a good number of really cool units with really cool abilities (the Arx, as was shown above for example)
Actually the unit is the Phoenix. Arx is the player. (AcidReniX)

Last edited by Desyphur; 03-22-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #76
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
There's one key problem that affects balance more than anything else in SC2 - positioning, or rather the lack of importance in it.

The defender has no clear advantage like he did in SC1. There's no 50% miss chance on cliffs, AIs are better so concaves/chokes aren't as good, buildings can't be used to block as well, etcetc.

Movement is so much simpler, too. Some zerg units can move while burrowed, and you have nydus worms (and drops as well?). Protosses can warp in units just about ANYWHERE, including right behind the mineral lines. Terrans and Protosses can walk up and down cliffs. Your base is incredibly open to your opponent no matter what you do. I don't like that.

But oddly most games don't even get to the nydus/drop/any high tech stage. They're all over in the first big battle, regardless of who attacks (again, no clear-cut defender's advantage) - it's mostly a matter of who gets their AoE abilities off, EMP or shields or whatever.

As a result of everything, the only way to counter an opponent's "rush build" is to...build equal numbers of units. Teching is almost impossible. There are only a handful of good BOs in any matchup. Creativity has been thrown out the door.
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #77
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

That I can agree with.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #78
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

So here's an interesting replay. Being a Protoss player, I like seeing them win, especially against Zerg. However, the usage of the shields made me smile.

There are three parts to is, watch them all. The commentator is annoying at first.

It's interesting but nothing mind-blowing. The offensive use of them was exactly what I was expecting. Sadly, this is the only game I've seen where the usage of shields mattered. People seemed to just toss them up randomly on the battlefield.

I still want to see some Zerg and Terran uniqueness. Everybody just Zergling/Hydra/Roach's or Marines/Siege Tank's their way to a victory or a loss.

I'd like to see some Reaper or Thor usage. Hell, I'd like to see what a Raven is capable of but nobody uses them. I'd also like to see usage of the Nydus Network or even an Infestor for pinning down some fast moving units (ZvZ for example).

It's cool that what used to work still does in the new game; that's a great foundation. I just expected the metagame to develop more quickly than it has. To me, that signals either a lack of working alternative strategies (what happened in RA3) or a lack of player skill/creativity.

But I'm happy that atleast one Protoss player used shields.

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #79
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Can we share names? I need more friends on SC2

Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #80
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Keep posting videos of cool games guys!

I can't play but I'm enjoying the games you post.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote