Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
richard nixon

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
My TF2 review, in a way. Since I always talk about how I never considered playing it.

Well I've said I never really felt interested in playing it but I was drunk and my friend was over and he convinced me to play it. Well I downloaded it and started it up, set my settings, etc etc.

And to be honest it's not that bad, if you think of is as it's own game rather than a fortress game.

Being a medic is kinda tedious and feels unrewarding for some reason. If I get in trouble and happen to be alone I more than likely get owned. He also reminds me of that nerdy tall guy with glasses from Ghostbusters, especially his healer cannon thing.

The Pyro is really worthless for my style, mainly because of the lack of the IC. I can understand why they decided to leave it out in a way, but a special mode for the flamethrower would be a better compromise.

The demoman is perfect, nothing to say about him. I never used detpacks anyway. He lacks the extreme destructive ability, due to no mirvs/nades/detpacks but he is really capable of doing a great defense. Without nades and a shotgun I've had little chance actually defending myself, but defending/trapping the flag or choke points seems to be easy. Love the way stickybombs work too, but hate the pipes as they take too long to detonate. The stickybombs also seem to be too powerful though.

I haven't used the spy because I just plain sucked as a spy in TFC and FF and now I suck as him in TF2. I lack patience anyways, same with the sniper. I don't like the new method of charging but it isn't as bad as how weak the sniper rifle feels. His SMG feels quite weak too but I have yet to use it really.

I love the soldier, and it's no suprise a first timer would do well with him. Soldier and scout are my favourite. Without nades or nail grenades it seems extremely difficult to knock out a sentry but it seems easy to avoid their fire and keep pummeling them so I don't quite mind. As the scout I don't like the double jump and lack of air control, but I think I'll get used to it. He is super weak too and I get more kill assists with him than I do actual kills.

Don't like the hwguy though, at all.It takes too long to windup/down and it's ridiculous to try and strafe with him, he gets owned be soldiers and the demo's sticky bombs relatively easy. During CTF the scout is always too fast so by the time I wind the fucker up he's already around the corner and gone.

The engineer is great for support only, I can't really defend myself with him but it's easy to support my sg/disp.

The maps are fine, as are the game modes. They are very different, which is refreshing.

But christ the respawn time is annoying. More so in cp maps than ctf ones. I also get frustrated with the lack of bunny hop and grenades, and the hard to navigate maps which wouldn't bother me but I'm new and it's frustrating until I get to know them. Also every class seems weaker than their TFC/FF counter-parts. Which I kinda don't mind since as a newbie to the game it made it more satisfying. The graphics/hud I'm not all too crazy for, the player models seem to have too much phong I though. I did like the animations though, and the weapon models didn't seem so over-phonged as the player models did.

I don't know if I will buy it though, I might as well. Can't go wrong with a 30 dollar mostly popular mp game. I'm going to wait until the FF team gives those rumoured "newbie" patches (I think 2.1? if any). And the stat system . But since they seem like completely different games, in a sense, I think I'll just play them both.

edit: I just now noticed the "Other Games" subforum, if a mod could move it that would be appreciated. Don't think there are any TF2 review threads anyways, I couldn't find any.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
I play tf2, and I hate the spawn times. In fact, that would be the only thing that they could get rid of, and it would make me very happy.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I don't like crit hits. Respawn times bug me too, but those "fast respawn" servers tend not to play as well.

Otherwise I think it's really good.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
richard nixon

Well the critical hits didn't bother me, unless a guy who's been in the server for hours and has 10 points gets one on me..that's kind of annoying. But since everyone gets them (I think?) it makes up for it in my mind, because when I get one I think to myself "FUCK YES", and giggle for a cheap easy kill.

I didn't play in any of those fast respawn servers but maybe if they limited it to 10 seconds or so? That wouldn't be bad at all if instant respawning didn't work well in TF2. But that issue doesn't bother me that much...yet.

and thanks to the admin who moved my thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
Well the critical hits didn't bother me, unless a guy who's been in the server for hours and has 10 points gets one on me..that's kind of annoying. But since everyone gets them (I think?) it makes up for it in my mind, because when I get one I think to myself "FUCK YES", and giggle for a cheap easy kill.

I didn't play in any of those fast respawn servers but maybe if they limited it to 10 seconds or so? That wouldn't be bad at all if instant respawning didn't work well in TF2. But that issue doesn't bother me that much...yet.

and thanks to the admin who moved my thread
Instant Respawn is like 3 seconds.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
richard nixon

I was talking about limiting the wait in respawn in the vanilla TF2 not in the instant respawn servers. I went into one server that has a 5 second respawn. Which is perfect because it gives me time to repair my Sentry and rebuild a dispenser. Also 5 seconds will delay the offense just enough for the defense to re-organize. It makes trying to get the flag a little more interesting than before. But it does seem that Valve built the game around the respawn timers, which is unfortunate.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
7 second works good for the server I run...
well, I've got 7 seconds on CP and 5 on anything else (aka ctf)

Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: CTF
the respawn timer is a integral part of the game, since that mean people will think twice before going on a mission impossible and wait 15secs or go back to your medic. In FF people don't care if they die, you see pipes near the flag you go for it, in TF2 if you do the same you'll have to wait.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
I tried it once, and I didn't like to one bit.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I enjoy it, but it's like TFC servers all over again - fucking loaded up with mods and alterations, can't even get a decent fucking game in.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I enjoy it, but it's like TFC servers all over again - fucking loaded up with mods and alterations, can't even get a decent fucking game in.
I can't wait until the Grenade mod comes out. The fallout is going to be great.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Explosive, even.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Explosive, even.
Haha damn how did I miss that?
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #14
richard nixon

is there a link to the grenade mod? in theory it sounds easy, to find a way to use the demo's grenades make them not explode at impact and change some values and other code stuff I know nothing about

what would seem hard would be adding the other grenades. I do foresee a laggy experience though. I lag quite a bit (mostly in dustbowl) when in a 32 player server and most of the action is in one confined place.

hmmm wonder how awesome double jump + conc jump would be. ah, but not as awesome as jump pad + conc jump.