Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
o_royal

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
My views on Fortress Forever

Before I get into any arguing I just want to start off by saying Are you basing this off TFC?

If so...then I highly reccomend you divert now to base it off something simular. My First big reason is because vALVE is already making its own TFC:S. For clarification purposes, Team Fortress Source...NOT Team Fortress 2. We all know what source is right? Well it a Remake of the same game but using the Half-life 2 engine. Lets look at Counter-Strike, I am long time player, memorized the maps. Know ever corner. etc. When source came around (Counter-Strike: Source). Map looked exactly the same (if you were looking overhead wize. Yea sure, some 3d background, broken down cars, palm trees. But basicly they were the same, boxes in same spot, ramps same length, etc. So the avarage cs player could get around. Now in FF case it doesn't look that way, where CSS used the same character models (but with source engine) as cs. FF lacks the replication with a entirely new "pyro" which seems to fit "there taste". Looking at some of the maps they have done, it seems they have preformed the operation " That would look cool if we had a extra ramp" or "that building could be bigger". I fear that when they release the project with "hunted". Snipers wont have the great hiding spots they once had. However they might create some. But that just ruins it! Now the maps look like something grabbed from UT2k4. What about the physics, can we conc jump, rocket jump. No we can't. It is mearly impossible to achive the same strength of a conc, as TFC. Even vALVE is still having trouble. But they however, will succeed. Now can you not tell me you are OVER DOING it with this http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=...=ff_crossover_1. Look how different the 2 pictures are. I know myself it would take me a while to get around that map. Whille vALVE keeps TFC:S Under wraps, you create FF. DOD:S on the other hand is something completly different, made by someone other than vALVE. By FF release you should expect a shortage of you expectations, then a rather larger amount when TFC:S is realeased. Just my Views.
o_royal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
o_binarylife

You should do a search, as half of the things you referred to are answered, or taken care of.

This is a team fortress game. It is different, as every remake of Team Fortress has been since Quake. They've added/changed classes before, and this mod is not doing anything of the sort. It is an update of Team Fortress, not necesarily a remake. It's also being made by people who were great assets in the Team Fortress community. They know what they're doing, and the Fortress community has a powerful influence on what the mod is going to turn out to be.

I'm sure, that though the mod may not be what you expect, that you'll still enjoy it and respect it as a team fortress mod.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
o_jefferino

If you look at the TFC community right now you will find maybe a small handful of loyal players. TFC is dead in my opinion and a source update is not going to cut it for me. It might bring it back from the grave for maybe a year but then people will get bored again. The reason CSS is was just a port to the source engine was because it is already so popular and whatever vALVE does won't matter because they're fan base is so huge nothing can bring it down. TFC in the other hand needs a huge remake. There were many flaws and bugs that TFC had and vALVE did nothing but update counter strike. I can see why because TFC was so dead that they didn't bother trying to please hundreds of people when there are hundreds and thousand of people playing CS. This is why FF is being made. I personally think when TFC is going on the source engine it will have the same flaws and bugs that TFC had. The FF dev team has experienced the weaknesses of the game and they are tyring to make it a better game.

You can't add frosting to a pile of shit and hope people will eat it.
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
o_thedarkone

Re: My views on Fortress Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
I fear that when they release the project with "hunted". Snipers wont have the great hiding spots they once had. However they might create some. But that just ruins it! Now the maps look like something grabbed from UT2k4. What about the physics, can we conc jump, rocket jump. No we can't. It is mearly impossible to achive the same strength of a conc, as TFC. Even vALVE is still having trouble. But they however, will succeed.

I think all your concerns can be addressed by this:

o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 03:10 AM   #5
o_jefferino

I don't get it pancake bunny?? bunny... pancake???
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 03:32 AM   #6
o_voipme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferino
I don't get it pancake bunny?? bunny... pancake???
He has no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.

Anyways, Valve is making TF:Source? Since when?
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 03:42 AM   #7
o_binarylife

lol They're making it...eventually.

And since you can manipulate the code anyway you want, conc jumping isn't really the problem you've made it out to be. Grenades send you flying as it is, no health damag tweak the push and you're done.

Valve is just busy with 5 million difference things and they don't know how to explain to their fans that it's going to take them another 5 years to finish a game promised 2 years ago.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #8
o_dirkpitt

Tf:source will not come out, or if it does it will be some lame little 5 minute port. I sincerely doubt valve will change anything, much less actually spend time balancing. TF:2 might as well be renamed to Counter Defeat Fortress, because it will pretty much be a cross between do, cs, and tfc. Most of the fast paced, rocket jumping action of tf will be gone replaced with machine guns and 1-2 shot kills.

I agre with binary life, please use the search function and read the forum a bit before you post.
o_dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
o_mooga

As DirkPitt said, TFC:S will suck.
Personaly, I don't think it's coming.
As for TF:2... Again, as DirkPitt said, it basicly CS with classes. They said goodbye to fun craziness and said hello to %1,000 realizum. (Example: Soliders only have one rocket) While it might be a fun game, it's not a true TF Mod, it's CS with classes.
Plus, WHY would they make a game like TF which is known for it's crazy physics and unrealizum using an engine that is will know for it's super awesome physics and realizum? They wouldn't.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
o_valk

lol at this kid
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #11
o_etzell

As far as TF:S is concerned, go play HL:S. That's what TF:S will be.

The same old game with shading and water that makes everything else look even shittier and more outdated.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
o_thedarkone

Why do you still expect TF2 to be like that?

They haven't talked about the TF2 gameplay in years. Look at how much Hl2 changed over the short period of time they were showing stuff.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 06:10 AM   #13
o_dirkpitt

Because cs is so popular.
o_dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Can we please stop with the silly macro images. Royal raises some interesting points and deserves a considered reply. If you want to be silly put it in the "chat" forum, thanks.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #15
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

To be honest I find it pretty difficult to follow what you're saying. It's not clear whether you're talking about TFC:S (non-existent at this point) or FF at times.

Quote:
Now the maps look like something grabbed from UT2k4. What about the physics, can we conc jump, rocket jump. No we can't. It is mearly impossible to achive the same strength of a conc, as TFC. Even vALVE is still having trouble.
Specifically: I don't understand this. It's not impossible to recreate the concing / movement code from TFC. All a HH conc basically does is take your velocity at the moment of conc detonation and then and multiply it by a scalar. A drop conc is simply a push effect with a linear (afaik) falloff... it's just trial and error until everything feels 'right'. Would valve have trouble making TFC:S behave like TFC? Absolutely not. They have all the code, and the Source movement code is basically just HL1's code extended somewhat. All the units, speeds, sizes and measurements remain the same. For them it'd be as easy as porting the code and compiling it. Don't believe me? Go play HL:Source

Old 03-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #16
o_monkeystevie

I personally don't think he raises any interesting points. Its no more than an un-educated post that seems to be enitrely based on a few screenshots he's looked at and maybe a quick glance at a topic or two.
There's changes in the maps to adress gameplay issues. They might also look totally different but, in this instance u mention crossover, its still essentially the same layout as the original but with a face lift.

Some of your concerns seem totally unfounded, i'd suggest u maybe read the FAQ and browse some of the older topics on this board.
o_monkeystevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #17
o_rebo

Quote:
ts no more than an un-educated post that seems to be enitrely based on a few screenshots he's looked at and maybe a quick glance at a topic or two.
Its the un-educated and misinformed people we need to enlighten. The vast majority of TFC communities Euro, America and Oz/NZ understand this project and thats great. But that doesnt mean we should ignore those who dont understand the project, no matter how false their ideas are. We need to grow and interest CSers and players of other mods, like this dude ,thats why he deserves a decent explanation.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
o_monkeystevie

Yeah i totally agree rebo. Not sure if my post was maybe a bit "hard", i just felt the first post was a little arrogant maybe.
I think maybe the FAQ should be extended somewhat and not hidden under the "about" link on the front page. Maybe if it was more prominent on the front page more people new to the site would read it. As the weeks and months go by FF is gathering more eyes and the forums are seeing the same questions over and over.
o_monkeystevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
o_rebo

Yea thats a good point about the FAQ ill speak to the Webby guy.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #20
o_otiz

Where the hell did he get the idea that Valve is having problems with concs, or even that they are in fact working on tfc:s?
I'm sorry but this post is just bad, but I agree with rebo he deserves a decent explanation. Someone care to explain then?
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote