Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Molester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
FF alive or dead?

In a short but interesting conversation with spoon, he pretty much told me the clan is dead. With e0 gr mimic and anarchy dead, the league is left with only 3 clans left. I'm not sure what to think of Fortress Forever at this point, we need a new wave of players to keep the competative scene alive. Hopefully the upcoming FF Orange Box patch with live Steam Updates will bring new blood, and thus new clans will form eventually. In my opinion, Season 4 should really be thought out carefully and things should not be rushed. Hopefully the game gets patched soon because only a few pubs/pickups are left in the mod.

and...I guess we're champions of the 5v5 ladder once again. Good game -.-

With much love and respect,
Gator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This comment was made on the 5v5 ugc league match results page.
I agree with gator and have nothing against any of the goodfellas on a personal level I really don't know any of them I just played against them in tfc leagues.
I counted at least 5 goodfellas members that cheated in tfc. I wonder if this is why or one of the reasons people would not join in FF clans or join the ugc league and sta 7v7 or just play FF?
This is just a thread to comment on maybe why FF never really got popular.
Go ahead and post flames against my comments but this is my opinion why FF never really got tfc'ers to play FF, trust in the community is a must.
RUMORS
These are rumors around the gamming community that have been going around.
The FF dev team was caught making cheats for other multi games.
Some people in the multi cheat forums "MPC community" where giving out FF cheats on private web sites and in private irc channels.
Go ahead and hate me for this thread and my comments but I don't believe or do believe these rumors I just wanted to see comments on these rumors and this subject..
On a personal note I love playing FF and the cheating thing really means nothing to me but I would still like to see comments and opinions on these subjects..thanks

Last edited by Molester; 04-30-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
It's certainly a fun game, but it's not as full of life as other games. I wouldn't say dead, I just would say it's massively unnoticed. Underrated. I dunno, population levels are always bouncing from time to time. It's slowly, slowly growing.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I tried to run the FF.Pickup 2v2/4v4/sniper league, but I think it's dead now. What happened, as I see it, is that teams just stopped playing their matches. Then other teams quit because of that. And that is what is happening a lot in FF. It's a reverse snowball effect; people aren't playing because people aren't playing, and then people stop playing because people aren't playing, etc, etc. It's really frustrating.

If you want this mod to succeed, the best thing you can do is play it and encourage others to do the same (even if the playerbase is currently low).

Related graph:

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
is that eu + us pickups?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisTer View Post
is that eu + us pickups?
No, just US.

Here is just EU pickups:

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 05-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molester View Post
In a short but interesting conversation with spoon
first mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molester View Post
I counted at least 5 goodfellas members that cheated in tfc. I wonder if this is why or one of the reasons people would not join in FF clans or join the ugc league and sta 7v7 or just play FF?
thats one reason why a lot of old tfc clanners have either not begun clanning, or started and quit. the attitudes of some players (not all of the goodfellas, nor limited to them) have also undoubtedly caused some clanners to stop giving a shit about the leagues as well as kept people from playing pickups or bothering to join clans.

the only reason ive stopped playing is because i moved to new york for an internship and dont have reliable internet. i miss my FF
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Hmm e0 die Damn... I"LL KILL U OSTRICH naw its cool don't worry about it if you read this, I told you it would happen I was having a hard time having 5 guys play a match.

Quote:
That might be true why tfc players don't want to play in FF leagues. If a thick headed tfc player looses against the GoodFellas they start bitching that they are hacking and all this other nonsense. The thing is, they do not understand, or comprehend that this is not TFC, this is a whole different game. I bet if my clan started winning and became unstopable/unbeatable/the best in ff then those thick headed tfc players would not want to play this game.

Which makes me think, do we really want them to play this game? We need teams like e0/AI/fX/good fellas/Anarchy who play this game for fun and who like competition and challenges.

I think the main focus for FF right now its to get away as far as possible from TFC and focus on getting new players that will eventually make new clans which is what I think will happen. With focus on adz/avd/ID maps which will come in the upcoming patches, it will attract more players and even more once the OB patch comes out.

So my point is, FF was popular but decline due to ctf maps, bad map rotations on servers, and thick headed tfc players.

Quote:
The FF dev team was caught making cheats for other multi games.
Doubt billdoor/mulchman/drevil/mirving monkey/ loki/fryguy made any cheats.

Quote:
Some people in the multi cheat forums "MPC community" where giving out FF cheats on private web sites and in private irc channels.
This is true but in 1.0, mostly a bunch of mygots but I don't understand why you need to bring this up since there are no hackers in FF right now.

As for e0 being dead, not sure.... Hopefully not and if it is I'll bring it back once I get back to FF I miss playing matches with the good fellas, fx and Angry Internets, fun matches with em.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

To answer the original Q...

I think in its actual state, FF is dead. Here are some flaws in order of importance that I think are responsible for this:

- Gameplay is way too fast
- Having to bhop to compete is annoying
- Spam is omnipresent
- Our models animations suck and are hard to tell apart
- Lag kicks in pretty fast with action
- You spawn/die too often, gets repetitive, your life has no real value
- Unwritten rules are required to enjoy the game for some

The market has changed since the TFC era, and FF is offering the same gameplay as TFC but to todays gamers.
Of course TFC was the shit for several years but now it got surpassed by better games, better adpated to what gamers of today want.
I would love to see this team take a completely new direction and let go this old gameplay. We could always leave FF working like this and start a new branch with the OB conversion. If FF was more like TF2 and would actualy compete, we could do some amazing stuff with lua and maybe have a game that's even more popular than TF2. For example, I think the carnival map would be totally insane in a TF2 environment. TF2 is nice, but could be so much better with all the fun games that we could pull off with lua...

All in all, I think what I'm saying is we should port FF to OB, remove bhop, reduce speed, leave nades but reduce the amount, make new models, give the medic a medigun, leave concs in but reduce their power. Then start making awesome fun maps with lua power! Heh... in my dreams.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Thanks for publishing me I guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x View Post
All in all, I think what I'm saying is we should port FF to OB, remove bhop, reduce speed, leave nades but reduce the amount, make new models, give the medic a medigun, leave concs in but reduce their power. Then start making awesome fun maps with lua power! Heh... in my dreams.
http://www.teamfortress.com/

Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post
Which makes me think, do we really want them to play this game? We need teams like e0/AI/fX/good fellas/Anarchy who play this game for fun and who like competition and challenges.

I think the main focus for FF right now its to get away as far as possible from TFC and focus on getting new players that will eventually make new clans which is what I think will happen. With focus on adz/avd/ID maps which will come in the upcoming patches, it will attract more players and even more once the OB patch comes out.

So my point is, FF was popular but decline due to ctf maps, bad map rotations on servers, and thick headed tfc players.
This is the best collection of opinions that ive ever seen on the forums. A big +1million to geo. And im very disappointed in sh4x.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

I've said it before, As long as we cater to the leet and not the masses FF will never grow. But most people disagree with me so I keep my mouth shut help where ever I can and be patient.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Whoever thinks FF has been catering to the "leet" the past few patches is dead wrong.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
aye squeek. everything has been catering to newbs..
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
TheKing

Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
e0 died? That sucks but that team was more of a guild anyways there was no communication with all but a few members (and we had a TON of members) :/

And squeek thanks for trying that 2v2 sniper league I was really looking forward to it . sds will be here if you ever give it another shot - appreciate the effort though

Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
Bloodvayne

Class/Position: Defense
Affiliations: All dead...
Send a message via AIM to Bloodvayne Send a message via MSN to Bloodvayne
Most people just probably say....why play FF.. when I have TF2 and there is a bunch of players and servers...? I dunno....I "like" TF2. But I probably have all but 3 achievements unlocked....because I lack interest in playing that game for more than 30 minutes at a time every so often. I am not gonna lie...last time I played FF was around 1.1... I was still playing TFC... And since June of last year...I was in wuv with L4D. And that my friend...took much of my Fortress playing away.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #16
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mushy View Post
This is the best collection of opinions that ive ever seen on the forums. A big +1million to geo. And im very disappointed in sh4x.
You're disappointed in me because I don't share the same vision as you of what FF should be like? That's gay. First off, if you're disappointed, it's only because you were expecting something from me. That you shouldn't have... so don't make me feel like I'm disappointing anybody here.

Secondly, not everyone in the dev team shares the same vision of what FF should be like. I might be one of those who would like to see the most drastic changes but that doesn't make me wrong, I too want this mod to succeed.

If FF had a player base, I'd still be working on carnival, but it doesn't. I think I know why it doesn't and I shared my ideas with you guys. Now if you don't agree with me, fine, I'm sure most ppl on this board won't agree with me either and that's normal. Most of the ppl are here because they like the TFC gameplay that much so don't even mention removing bhop cause they might have a heart attack. But I think a lot of ppl playing TF2 right now would agree with me on these suggestions... and that's a hell of a lot more ppl than are playing FF right now.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
TheKing

Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x View Post
To answer the original Q...

I think in its actual state, FF is dead. Here are some flaws in order of importance that I think are responsible for this:

- Gameplay is way too fast
- Having to bhop to compete is annoying
- Spam is omnipresent
- Our models animations suck and are hard to tell apart
- Lag kicks in pretty fast with action
- You spawn/die too often, gets repetitive, your life has no real value
- Unwritten rules are required to enjoy the game for some

The market has changed since the TFC era, and FF is offering the same gameplay as TFC but to todays gamers.
Of course TFC was the shit for several years but now it got surpassed by better games, better adpated to what gamers of today want.
I would love to see this team take a completely new direction and let go this old gameplay. We could always leave FF working like this and start a new branch with the OB conversion. If FF was more like TF2 and would actualy compete, we could do some amazing stuff with lua and maybe have a game that's even more popular than TF2. For example, I think the carnival map would be totally insane in a TF2 environment. TF2 is nice, but could be so much better with all the fun games that we could pull off with lua...

In my nightmares :X

That's an awful collection of ideas, no offense

It's all about marketing and that's why TF2 has more players. If FF was created by valve, named TF2 and christened as the sequel to TFC, and promoted the way TF2 was then this game would have the same player base as TF2. You guys are great developers and awful marketers (and that's not to say it's entirely your fault because you have virtually no resources and are marketing almost solely on word of mouth).

The 'if you build it they will come' mentality doesn't really apply in this case - valve is simply out of your league in terms of marketing. You can build an amazing game but if nobody knows about it (and there's a game that people have heard of, targets the same base, and for which the promotion is extremely well funded) then you're just as fucked.

Anyways that's just IMHO.

Great game though...

Last edited by TheKing; 05-02-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #18
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mushy View Post
I am really confident for a bright future in FF if we cater to the new people and forget about leet tfc players

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
e0 died? That sucks but that team was more of a guild anyways there was no communication with all but a few members (and we had a TON of members) :/
:e0: will always live on, it just in a coma for leagues that's all
:e0: Community and e0 peeps will always live on and I will make sure of that.

I just need to get in contact with Ostrich for e0 future plans... hmm I guess I need to install steam on this computer.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #19
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Here's what I think should happen (and a lot of ideas I personally hate but think would improve player base).

Before switching to OB engine:
- All bugs that won't be fixed just by upgrading to the OB engine should be fixed.
- The faster classes should be slowed down a bit.
- Bhoping should be slowed down some again.
- Pyro needs nerfed majorly (he's too fast, deals too much damage, obstructs your view, and does damage over time, this is BS).
- Player animations need an overhaul.
- Give the medic a better medic roll, we don't need two scouts in the game.
- Buff up the scout and slow him down a bit due to changing the medic.
- Fix the sniper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Reduce the amount of damage dealing grenades each class can hold.
+ Frag grenades = 2
+ Secondary damage grenades = 1

The OB engine patch:
- For the orange box update all the listed ideas above should already have been implemented on the old engine.
- In this patch you will want to load it with cool features so anybody downloading it will stick around.
- So cool features + no bugs + new age gamers gameplay = win?

After switching to OB engine:
- Continue pumping out updates on steamworks now that the player base is steadily growing from the ideas listed above!

---------------

And remember, do it in this order so players stick around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by hlstriker; 05-02-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #20
shadow
Retired FF Staff

or maybe if we actually released this on steam instead of spending years trying to "fix" it, we'd have players who like the game for what it is.

Closed Thread