Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #21
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
Second, the thought that it might be fake crossed my mind right away, as it did with every other American who had the misfortune of seeing it. I was like "no fucking way that an American Marine would be that much of a fuck, much less tape it, then put it online."
same.

Whatever comes out of this in form of punishment for the Marine(s) in question will be purely for discrediting the Marine Corps. I'm not aware of any portion of the UCMJ regarding treatment of native wildlife, and a few of the responses thus far seem a bit heavyhanded.

It was a dog. Killing that dog was wrong, was horrible, and indicative of psychological issues in the Marine in question... but not the Abu Ghraib of 2008, nor the My Lai of the Iraq war.

It was a puppy, and damn it was cute. Our fuzzy heartstrings are plucked, and we are outraged at the trespasses against that cute fuzzy puppy... but it was a dog. If it were a human, the Marines would be court-martialed and sent to Leavenworth. If it were a cat, it would be humorous to quite a few of us, (the 'snicker snicker thats wrong snicker snicker' kind of funny). If it were a mangy feral thing it would be frowned upon. If it were a large rodent it would be ignored. But it was a puppy, and damn it was cute.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #22
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
Quote:
Gaining satisfaction from the misery of a FREAKING PUPPY is not something I would expect from any American...
Micheal Vick.

really, we hear about these "type" of things plenty. Yes, Americans are just as fucked up as "foreigners". Some people are just cruel bastards that need to have their DNA wiped off the planet. I've heard they have plenty of similar videos on the PETA site. In fact I watched some PETA doc on HBO not too long ago and they showed footage of some pretty fucked up shit.

fishBurger, my view isnt that "it's a cute puppy", rather, these are animals/creatures/beings that have absolutely no chance to fight back. Like beating an infant. Even with the Vick case. These dogs really had no defense. Humans, with sticks (much less guns). Shit humans with sticks took over the planet. So for me it's picking on animals/creatures/beings that simply cant fight back.

I guess night vision, spy satellites, radar resistant bombers packed with MOABs and unmanned drones that launch hellfire rockets that are guided by satellites that fly 5 miles and then go right through a 2'/2' window and totally demolish the building

Vs

dudes with Ak47s... isnt easy enough for these losers.
Meathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
I was like "no fucking way that an American Marine would be that much of a fuck, much less tape it, then put it online."
So I guess you know a few of those nice Marines that exist in the magical Candyland of Happy Love?

I live in Newark, NJ, which is a decent sized transportation hub. We do get Soldiers coming through my part of the town a good bit. I know people who have been in the Marines, are still in the Marines, etc. I've met two kinds of Marines in my life: genuinely nice guys, and complete assholes.

An example of the asshole bit. A friend of mine is a fan of the military. He happened to be wearing an ARMY trainer t-shirt (you know, black t-shirt, ARMY in big yellow letters). A Marine (in uniform, no less) gets in his face and starts yelling "MARINES! OORAH, WHAT NOW BITCH?!"

I do know a nice Marine IRL, but as for an example that there can be nice Marines, Drew Carey used to be in the Marines. Yes, Drew The Drew Carey Show Whose Power of 10 Is Anyway is Right Carey, the portly, funny guy who thinks medical marijuana is a good thing.

Never in my life have I met a Marine in the middle ground. They are either great people to be around or jackasses that would make a frat pledge look mature in comparison.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
I'm not defending what it appears these Marines did, but the response to me does seem over the top.

You're also dangerously oversimplifying the situation in Iraq. The insurgency there is more than just "dudes with AKs," but your gross misunderstanding is a completely seperate subject. As far as the technological advantages, those are all purely tactical, but the first (and most important) years following the invasion lacked a Phase-IV strategy which would defeat the insurgency. We have the best conventional military in the world, but because of administration and military failures at the highest level, it doesn't matter how many buildings we can collapse or how many dudes with AKs we can kill. We're good at killing dudes with AKs. But then that dude's brothers, friends, relatives will support the insurgency from allowing the insurgents to operate to planning and executing attacks on U.S. and cooperative Iraqi targets.

Besides, a Marine infantryman will not use any of the technologies you listed except for the NVGs, but with the attacks happening during the daytime what advantage does that give him?

What the Marine sees is not the high-speed low-drag sophisticated weaponry. He sees every day the same people that hate him. He sees insurgents set up ambushes and indirect attacks and then vanish into the supporting populace. He sees Marines wounded and dying.

He's wrong as hell for doing what he did, but don't oversimplify the situation. It was a puppy, and damn it was cute.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
As far as the yelps being faked, where in THE hell are these jarheads supposed to find that sound effect and mix it in, even simulating depth of sound as the puppy flies?
The same way that we have obtained the file...?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Hype
Don't believe the hype
D&A Member

Class/Position: Both
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via MSN to Hype
If it's real: I hope he chokes on his dad's dick.

if it's fake: Ik hope he chokes on his dad's dick.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #27
SiSCoS

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
I think on the one that innoc sent the
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7
if you get near the end put it in slow motion i think the puppy moves his mouth.
SiSCoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #28
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Quote:
And if you don't think the poor animal would yelp...let's try grabbing you by your hair and whiffing you off a building....we'll see if you make any noise...
I have to tell you, NEVER compare animals to humans. IMO, it's just a sad way to try to make people agree (not that I'm saying I disagree o.o). Dog Mind =/= Human Mind.

[quote=SiSCoS]I think on the one that innoc sent the
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7
if you get near the end put it in slow motion i think the puppy moves his mouth.[/qutoe]
...think? That's not a word I would use in this situation...

****, I sound like an English teacher.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #29
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Maybe all the marines that live around me are dicks... but this doesn't seem so far fetched as a possibility.

Not that I have a problem with the organization, or that I'd lump all of them into the same puddle of immoral ooze, I'm just saying that it being fake because no marine would do that doesn't sit with me. In all honesty I think it's fake because I don't want to think it's real and if it's possible I don't have to then I wont.

Sorry to marine bash it's just that every marine I've met has offered to pound my face into a clean brick wall. And it's not like I started anything, I just have the unfortunate persona of being some kind of badass. I'm not saying I am. I know damn well any marine.. hell any person my size or bigger could easily wipe the floor with me. But for some reason people assume I'm good at fighting. The only thing I'm good at is blocking punches with my face. I'm a pro. (sorry for the rambling there, I just wanted to clarrify.. plus I'm tired as balls and haven't slept)
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #30
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
No Binary, you're very correct in your assumptions. The majority of young military personel (I need to get my spell check back ) want to fight everyone they see.

It makes them feel like a bad-ass, something that the majority of peolpe who join the military want to feel like, usually do them not actually being a bad-ass.

You'll also find that the ones that aren't itching for a fight actually know how to fight.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #31
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Trained killers the marines are...............

they are made to kill with no remores if the situation presents itself. Why could we ask them for anything different when we created these killers to kill. It is there job and with that you are always going to lose a part of yourself no matter what. Kill a human..........kill a dog. They are both in the same realm when you are able to take a life with ease when needed it is something you cannot just turn off/on. I was happier before mobile devices could record these things in war time. What happened to the good ole days when this would happen but there would be no video on it.

Do innocents die in war.............yes. Does this include women and children...........yes. Same thing for puppies.

dh

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #32
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
the less people like you can willfully have your heads in the sand the fewer unnecessary wars we'll have?
Meathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #33
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathook
the less people like you can willfully have your heads in the sand the fewer unnecessary wars we'll have?
You're new enough here that you might not be aware. DH only posts here when his prescription for his anti-psychotic meds has run out...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #34
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
You're new enough here that you might not be aware. DH only posts here when his prescription for his anti-psychotic meds has run out...
I think his doctor should prescribe him about 5g of KCN, PO QID. That should fix the psychotic problems.

<_<
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote