Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Old post but my .02..

From what I have read the ms response time doesn't mean jack any more. I purchased a Westinghouse 22" LCD with a 2ms response time and you would not believe the amount of ghosting I was receiving from this. Upon further reading up on it the manufacturers are obviously toying with the response times. What the claim is not accurate because they are actually using a grey to grey time as opposed to white to black.

I ended up taking it back and buying a 23" Acer with a 5ms response time and it's flat out insane. Before this I was using an old Dell 19" CRT and I'm never looking back.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Mine has been taken in for "repairs" just last week. I included a CD in the box with that ghosting video and pics. Still waiting to hear from them.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

Class/Position: Demoman
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
LCDs are alright, but the only real pro I can name off the bat is how lightweight they are. My dad has had this 1600x1200 Eizo CRT for practically 12 years now and it's still in near-perfect condition. On the other hand, LCDs seem to break every few years.

Unless you get ahold of one of the really good (albeit expensive) last-in-existence CRTs mostly manufactured by high end companies, you can get a fairly decent LCD if you try hard enough. I'm on a NEC 1940CX. It's 1280x1024, I've had no problems with it and I've managed to calibrate the color quality to be very close to that of a CRT.

Oh, another tip (although I think you already know this). Most, if not all, LCDs do not ship with a DVI cable. If you buy an LCD, you have to get one! My LCD initially had visible static (hard to see except against darker colors, but it was still there) and the whole color distortion thing happened really easily, like starting at 35 degrees or so. The DVI cable has gotten rid of all the noise. There is also no color distortion anymore (at least within the range of how far I can get to the side of my monitor before I can't see it). The LCD in that video just sucks.

I think the biggest shortcoming with them is how they handle lower resolutions. I used to play forced-800x600 games on a CRT and think, "oh look, it's all pixellated and old-timey!" LCDs get really blurry on lower resolutions. It's gross.
StoneFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
Paft
Beta Tester

Update

So it returned yesterday. No change.

The monitor went to a repair company, not like some LG fixamibob warehouse.

I just come of the phone with LG customer services and apparently it has been repaired. "Had several replacements and been updated" or something.. he didn't go into detail.

Though, I had a look at the firmware version and it's the same as it was before. Whether that is the latest vers and it has been reinstalled I don't know.

Before boxing it up I set the firmware panel back from "ghosting fix" to the way it originally was. To see if they'd change it, it came back unchanged.

Also it came back to me in a blank large box NOT my original... Sure it was packed with care, but where the hell is my box?

Customer services booked it in for repair one more time or a replacement if one is available. If I am still unsatisfied he/they will escalate it to the manager. Quite helpful and understanding really but I mean It's been replaced once and the replacement has been "repaired" already.

I hate this because It makes me feel like a right awkward bastard but I am not happy with it and this monitor has rave reviews so it doesn't make sense.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Hmm what cable are you using?

Right now I'm getting the same problem but I'm using an old analog cable that I found since the one that came with the monitor is lost in a box somewhere. I didn't have this problem before after I started using this old cable.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Paft
Beta Tester

I use DVI, but tried both DVI and D-Sub. both cables came with it. It has gone in again this morning actually to be looked at.

I am getting the impression that this is just how LCDs are compared to CRTs. Though, I'd still like to see what they do to sort the ghosting out this time. Whether it is just bad firmware configuration.

Last edited by Paft; 05-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
Paft
Beta Tester

I am getting the impression that this really is just how LCDs are compared to CRTs.*