Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Zatoichi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
wd data lifeguard wont boot

i dloaded the data lifeguard for dos cd rom version to set up my 2 150gb velociraptors but the damn thing keeps giving me an error saying that no cd-rom is present to check the cables and power, then another saying the driver is absent. no matter what i change in the bios it just wont boot..i have the following.
evga x58 mobo
6gb corsair dominator ram
2 150gb velociraptors.
i7 920 proc
8800gtx
x-fi xtreme gamer

one suggestion i got was that wd software was buggy and that i just needed to keep rebooting and eventually it would take, but no luck after about 30 trys.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Whenever I see a system that won't do that there's a couple of things I check.

#1 The Optical Drive. Try booting something else you know will boot in the CD/DVD Drive.

#2 Memtest86. Download it and run it once you know the drive functions. BTW, #1 can fail with a good boot disk if memory is bad....so keep that in mind.

#3 Worst case you can also download Seagates "Seatools". It's basically a slimmed down version of Ontrack's tools. You can do essentially the same tests.

Failing all three you may have to dig deeper. Keep in mind a corrupted download would likely prevent any ability to get to the point of creating a WD Data Lifeguard CD. IIRC you aren't downloading an ISO with that. You could have bad media and/or a bad drive on the system where you burned that media...you can also try a REALLY slow burn speed as a last resort prior to replacing that drive to test.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Zatoichi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
yeah i tried all of that. apparently there is an issue with wd software, because i found some posts from people complaining, but i did investigate everything you stated..while i couldnt get teh disk to boot, switching from the jmicron to the intel controller is what i needed to do in order to boot from those drives, i am up and running now and with no overclocking im very happy with the systems performance so far.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Sorry, I missed the part about setting up your drives. I skimmed and assumed that this was a once operating pc in need of help. That'll teach me to jump in after a long day! Glad to hear you're operational.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote