Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
2.5 should feature the teleport.
Seriously guys...
c'mon...
Or just give the engie a buildable helicopter.

If this happens one of the Devs will be getting a home visit from me and getting shanked.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
2.5 should feature the teleport.
Seriously guys...
c'mon...
Or just give the engie a buildable helicopter.
Buildable Helicopter? ohhhh this is a cool idea.

Also...make it where you can build 2 SG's inside the Helicopter.

Now the engie's can fly/hover over the enemy and blast away while
the Demoman sets off DETs from the helicopter.

Now, if the other team kills the helicopter, they get huge points
for killing everybody in the heli, SG's and the helicopter.

If a helicopter has 16 peeps in it and you shoot it down. You get 17 kills.
hahahahaha....good times.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
NeoFF?
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
nomad

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
re

Bully had not said that the 2.5 coming out soon? pyroman apparently disappears, no teleporter for engineers, even classes medic and scout who benefit ... : /

"Bully avait pas dit que la 2.5 sortait bientôt ? apparemment le pyroman disparait, pas de teleporteur pour l'ingenieur, encore les classes medic et scout qui profitent ... :/"
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #25
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I'm not following you. What are you saying/asking? Anyone know french?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 06-08-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times

WTF did i say now ! was it me ?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Bully had not said that the 2.5 coming out soon?
We're not sure when 2.5 will be finished.
Quote:
pyroman apparently disappears
Pyro will still be in the game.
Quote:
no teleporter for engineers
There will not be a teleporter for the engineer.
Quote:
even classes medic and scout who benefit ... : /
Not really, no.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
I suspect revamp of sniper and pyro tbh, probably new weapons with less frag capacity, and maybe remove grenades from some classes.
I suspect this new patch will revive or kill FF but im a bit afraid i have to say.
If was in charge of ff would be tfc source and keeping some nice ff aditions such as ng railgun, trimp and spy cloack : )

Last edited by zE; 06-09-2010 at 12:48 AM.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #29
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zE View Post
I suspect revamp of sniper and pyro tbh, probably new weapons with less frag capacity, and maybe remove grenades from some classes.
I suspect this new patch will revive or kill FF but im a bit afraid i have to say.
If was in charge of ff would be tfc source and keeping some nice ff aditions such as ng railgun, trimp and spy cloack : )
QFT
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
QFT
Yeah I think that's how a lot of people feel. Even more if you count people who have left.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
You and I rarely agree, much less close to 100%, but FF as TFC Source/OB this has been my case all along. If there was an OB version of TFC it would compete well with TF2, have a large enough player base to have a competative community, etc.

Scuzzy

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
+100
ze has been using rosetta stone
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
The orangebox argument gets old fast. The game isn't popular because it appeals to niche gamers not because it's on an specific engine. What changes when you port the same niche game to another engine? Nothing relevant to real success, that's for sure. It's still the same game that people don't like or can't integrate into just on a different engine.

Besides, the differences between engines seems more tailored toward the developers and not the player. Sure, stats would be cool, but who cares about stats in a game with no real fanbase? It's a waste of people's time and effort porting to orangebox as well as a massive delusion for anyone who thinks simply moving the same unappealing game to a slightly different engine will end up being the saving grace. This is especially true if you think it would compete with TF2. /rofl

Just let it go and move on. Seriously.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #34
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
The orangebox argument gets old fast. The game isn't popular because it appeals to niche gamers not because it's on an specific engine. What changes when you port the same niche game to another engine? Nothing relevant to real success, that's for sure. It's still the same game that people don't like or can't integrate into just on a different engine.

Besides, the differences between engines seems more tailored toward the developers and not the player. Sure, stats would be cool, but who cares about stats in a game with no real fanbase? It's a waste of people's time and effort porting to orangebox as well as a massive delusion for anyone who thinks simply moving the same unappealing game to a slightly different engine will end up being the saving grace. This is especially true if you think it would compete with TF2. /rofl

Just let it go and move on. Seriously.

Since you brought up the debate Bridget I'll humor you. I don't believe people here have made the argument that niche gamers are looking for games on a specific engine to play. However, by moving to the OrangeBox engine the following things would increase:
  1. The number of available players. Fresh new players are purchasing games on newer engines, not games that were developed 6-7 years ago. No one is going to go out and get a HL2 game to try our free mod.
  2. Developers and modelers aren't rushing to learn the HL2 engine. They are learning and have a growing community in the OrangeBox community. This development team has had a shortage of both for several years now. Staying on the old outdated engine is not going to increase our resource pool.
  3. The code is superior to that of the HL2 engine, hands down.
  4. The modeling and graphical capabilities, player movement, etc, are all far superior in the Orange Box then HL2, watch a heavy walk in FF and one in TF2 and tell me you don't see the difference.

These are 4 points I consider to be the main arguments for a TFC non TF2 OB game. FF just ported over isn't going to attract players, but it would increase our resource pool to make the game better.
You may not feel that better graphical capability, better movement, more developers, more modelers, and a more streamlined engine isn't relevant to success. I do see those as relevant points. Seriously.

Scuzzy

Old 06-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #35
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Just get it on Steamworks so people don't have to go manually download the damn game anymore.

Make players clippable (The only argument against this is not being able to stack teammates, but I say make the change, and worry about that later. To me, clipping through teammates is much more important than stacking)

I'll leave my trust in the dev team for any player balance changes. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Getting killed by certain weapons delays respawn still. Sniper rifle is a key example.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #36
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
1. is invalid because you get all versions of Source, no matter what game you buy. You buy TF2, you can play FF. If that changes in the future it will be good to be ready for it. The average player doesn't know or care what version of the game is in use. They just know how it looks and feels.

2. I will give you, though I think that modders will work on whatever game sparks their interest or will get them in the industry. I don't think the engine version is going to be a dealbreaker for someone with the required dedication.

3. I don't really know about, not being a coder. I hear there were some optimizations done in netcode, multithreading, etc.

4. How players look in motion is mostly a factor of the models themselves and the animations. Valve's animations look great because they have skilled professionals on staff who specialize in their field. FF has... me and a few others and we don't really know what we're doing. There are very few skilled animators in the mod community. I do what I can on the graphical front in my spare time, and that includes the player models at some point. There are some features I'd like to have use of from OB, but the engine change by itself is not going to make amateur work look professional.

Anyway, as a member of this mod I want the port to go through, just so I can use a few new SDK features. What we need to make that happen is some skilled coders withthe time to meticulously go through the ported code and iron out all the bugs we had from moving over.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #37
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
Anyway, as a member of this mod I want the port to go through, just so I can use a few new SDK features. What we need to make that happen is some skilled coders withthe time to meticulously go through the ported code and iron out all the bugs we had from moving over.
Main reason why I'd love to see FF use Source 2009 is for os x support.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Last edited by Ricey; 06-10-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #38
MASH

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Make players clippable (The only argument against this is not being able to stack teammates, but I say make the change, and worry about that later. To me, clipping through teammates is much more important than stacking)
Perhaps only make teammates clippable. This is because, a good tactic is blocking the enemy from bunnyhopping/sliding (ie. HW fatty standing in doorways or on flags). Also if players are clippable, you could walk thru a spy and not notice, that seems silly to me.

To furthur make this better, it would be best to make it so teammates are only clippable in the 'no build' areas. This is would prevent teammates deliberately blocking doorways or spawns. Does that make sense? (this was also a key reason FF was unpopular on release because of noobs blocking spawns and doorways)
MASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #39
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
4. How players look in motion is mostly a factor of the models themselves and the animations. Valve's animations look great because they have skilled professionals on staff who specialize in their field. FF has... me and a few others and we don't really know what we're doing. There are very few skilled animators in the mod community. I do what I can on the graphical front in my spare time, and that includes the player models at some point. There are some features I'd like to have use of from OB, but the engine change by itself is not going to make amateur work look professional.
As someone who spends a LOT of time animating in Source, I have to agree. The only animation advantage I can think of for Episode 2 is the jiggle bones support. I have seen some errors in Episode 1 engine for extra-long .smd's created for models, but it's rare to even need ones so long. There are actually a few small differences that make animating in Episode 1 less of a pain in the ass than Episode 2. For the most part almost nothing in terms of animation quality.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 06-10-2010 at 06:41 AM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #40
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH View Post
Perhaps only make teammates clippable. This is because, a good tactic is blocking the enemy from bunnyhopping/sliding (ie. HW fatty standing in doorways or on flags). Also if players are clippable, you could walk thru a spy and not notice, that seems silly to me.

To furthur make this better, it would be best to make it so teammates are only clippable in the 'no build' areas. This is would prevent teammates deliberately blocking doorways or spawns. Does that make sense? (this was also a key reason FF was unpopular on release because of noobs blocking spawns and doorways)
Sorry, that's what I meant. Players should still be able to block enemies. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid your teammate, especially if you are a faster class than they are. Making this change across the board would solve both the annoying blockage (Every time I'm carrying the flag back to my base, my teammates literally become magnets, stopping me dead in my tracks), as well as the no build areas.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 06-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote