Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Update the nail model and make the classes look different, other than that it's pretty good.

I liked the music, although it was a bit repetitive.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #22
o_kam

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
video quality was so bad, liked the music
it seems ok for what it is (only 5 people on the dev team)
hopefully it gets a decent player base which will inspire some talented artists to sex it up
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #23
o_alligator

It definately needs some improvement.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #24
o_ghost

I think the video could've been done better. You only saw 2 classes from the first person perspective (scout and soldier I believe). The rest was just 3rd person shots that really didn't give that much away on how the game would feel.

I found it really hard to tell the classes apart in the movie and I don't think I even saw a hwguy, demo, spy, or sniper in the footage. If they were there I missed it.

I can garuntee you if I showed this to my friend who played TFC for a little bit (enough to know what was going on while he played) he would have no idea what was being showed to him in that video.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Pyro seems waaay too overpowered, the maps definately need more dynamics...

I expected better from them.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #26
o_afx

I dont like to criticise something that i havnt played...but tbh you might as well just keep on playing etf as in terms of visuals this doesnt seem to add anything. As has been said, its a good effort for the small team. But really whats the point, if its essentially the same as the game its replaced? Maybe im wrong, i know there was that nail gun to climb the wall thing, but if most aspects of gameplay remain the same, then it seems somewhat of a waste of time.

I spose you could say, that unlike etf this will actually have an active team still developing for it. So maybe it will improve over time. But im not overly impressed thus far.

In many ways it'd be like the ff guys takings the hl2 engine and giving us tfc with absolutely no visual improvements, i know the q3 engine that q3f and etf was on, was a generation on from hl, but the point still stands.

Also i found it quite hard to distinguise classes, however that may well be down to the bad video quality.

To end on a plus point, i quite liked the sg build effect.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #27
o_bumgravy

yeah the build effect was cool, other than that i wouldnt touch this with a barge pole, if this is whats claimed to be the latest state of the art fortressing.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #28
o_soulcutter

I like the style of it, but I agree with everyone in that the models all look the same (maybe it really was just one or two of the classes though).
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #29
o_imbrifer

Ugh..
Maybe one of the maps looked decent. I couldn't really assess the player models because they all looked the same when moving at 10,000 miles an hour, but the biggest thing:
What an obtrusive HUD! God, like 6 bright-ass colors covering half your frickin' screen. Maybe they have a customizable HUD, but damn that was ugly shiat.

I am impressed with this amount of work for the small team, but it doesn't seem to have the Fortress soul, or to be a step in the history of Fortress. The video was done badly too.. they should have done more player views and less flying-through-the-map-at-10,000-miles-per-hour. I feel like I didn't get much.

I hope they keep working on producing higher quality maps and give it some more depth. If they do, then I say this is great for WIP. If they feel that its feature-frozen or mostly polished then I will be sad.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Well first I didn't see what was going on

Flag Model looks bad and I could not tell what class was which (Yep on the bandwagon).

Well since everyone else already pointed out what I didn't like I'll point out what I did like

Player movement a little bit but that is it.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #31
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Ugh..
Maybe one of the maps looked decent. I couldn't really assess the player models because they all looked the same when moving at 10,000 miles an hour, but the biggest thing:
What an obtrusive HUD! God, like 6 bright-ass colors covering half your frickin' screen. Maybe they have a customizable HUD, but damn that was ugly shiat.
To be fair to them, i should imagine the hud will be as customizable as etf's i.e you can do pretty much anything.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
o_voipme

The video itself was uninspiring. I congratulate them on all of the hard work they've put into the mod, but this video does not display it at all. I wanted to see something that would make me buy Q4 just to play this game. Meh.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #33
o_nezumi

The music made the video almost unwatchable. Damn!

Anyway, I hesitate to critisize on art aspects because I know they had a small team but I'm pretty much with everyone else on this. The maps were pretty bad, the player models were hard to differentiate, and so on.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote