Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

Class/Position: Demoman
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Anyone Still Map for TFC?

I was wondering if anybody here still mapped for TFC. Goldsrc mapping has become esoteric knowledge, but I just enjoy it far more than Source mapping.

Where to begin - long story short, I just have far too many memories of TFC and wish to stay with it until it's completely dead. I don't know what I would do after that. FF is great but lacks a massive player base, and TF2 is just...I don't know. I enjoy it but not in a fanatical "true TF game" sense. Such a breed of games is dying out, so I don't know what to make of that.

Anyway. Some pockets of TFC "clans" still exist. The one I link to in particular is one of my favorite servers, jolt.co.uk's [FM] Fun Server. Among them are some of the few who still map for TFC.

I map for TFC as well, and I enjoy it, but simultaneously I have never had the motivation to finish a map. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it anymore. I know that they say "if you enjoy something, stick with it", but it's inevitable that TFC is coming to its end.

So I was wondering if anybody still maps for TFC, and, additionally, if anyone has any insight for someone in my predicament.

P.S. Sorry if the post was a tad wordy, I'm not right in the head today - fever.
StoneFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
If you finish a map..... I'll play it. I don't care how long I have to keep an old system running.... but I'll do it, because I love TFC. I will play this game, even if only with bots.... until I can no longer physically do it.

I have close to 2000 maps.... and only HATE 2 or 3. Good chance I'll play it.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Move to FF. Seriously. With lua scripting you can create maps that you could only dream of with the TFC entities. If you remake an existing TFC map you are much more likely to finish it, and everyone will be really enthusiastic about it.

I quit mapping for TFC when I quit playing regularly, several years ago. I only finished one map, which I later converted it to FF (It's ff_banderas now).

Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFrog View Post
I map for TFC as well, and I enjoy it, but simultaneously I have never had the motivation to finish a map. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it anymore. I know that they say "if you enjoy something, stick with it", but it's inevitable that TFC is coming to its end.
1) You never had the motivation to finish a map.
2) You are wondering if it's worth it.
3) You posted this thread which pretty much tells us you are doubting yourself mapping for GoldSrc.

Knowing these 3 things I would say don't even bother mapping for TFC. Move on and map for FF
hlstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

hlstriker - True, but what keeps me bound to TFC is the remnants of its community. I enjoy playing with them and maintaining our own slice of TFC that is still as ever-changing and alive as during the WON days.

I don't know if FF can really produce that for me. I played Fortress Forever when it first came out and actually had a 3 digit server count. It was great fun, but now it's become an uncertain prospect. It's sad how so much work was put in by you guys into FF and then the coming of TF2 wrecked so much of it (as it did to TFC).

Still, these things happen - it's just rather hard to get over.

Additionally, I'm a sucker for TFC's entities. Comparing it to TF2's entities are like comparing the construction of a skyscraper to Lincoln Logs. Though I don't know if I want to get in over my head with learning LUA. :\

Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Tyrant
Beta Tester

move onto ff

source lets even beginning mappers produce higher quality maps with it's easiness.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

I've played around with mapping for both and I prefer Goldsrc. Less insane decal and prop whoring and lower standards of quality to live up to. Plus I'm used to miscellaneous little tweaks in Goldsrc Hammer such as a circle pointer for the clip tool as opposed to Source Hammer's square one. :P

Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
i was actually catching your drift up until that last post there
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
R22B

Class/Position: Sniper / Defensive
I've mapped for TFC for so long that I still find myself using brushes to make stuff instead of importing models to do it... lol.
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
StoneFrog
Born to Frag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22B View Post
I've mapped for TFC for so long that I still find myself using brushes to make stuff instead of importing models to do it... lol.
Props are EVIL! Anyone can make objects out of brushes but not everyone can model props. It's a bottleneck on creativity.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
You can produce fantastic maps with a minimal number of props.
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Doughnut-4|4-

I map because i love creating maps. It's like arranging a symphony.... balancing defense and offense... creating strong holds and weaknesses... designing architecture with argiculture... using sounds to tell a player where he is even in complete darkness... its magic. Every mapper knows when hes done a good job but having others enjoy the creation is 10 fold... and extremely rare in any video game. I switched to FF for mapping because the graphics were superior and the gameplay is comparable. I think the tools (hammer vs source) are about the same and really just a means to an end. Do it if you love it.

I don't think any game truely dies unless it's replaced so long as there are a handful of players and servers. I still play pacman. One thing I struggle to find with Fortress is a server like the TFC capture the flag moderated pubs (where you play offense vs defense when numbers are under 10 and you communicate and use teamwork)... one probably exists but i mainly play during the off hours so im screwed.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFrog View Post
hlstriker - True, but what keeps me bound to TFC is the remnants of its community. I enjoy playing with them and maintaining our own slice of TFC that is still as ever-changing and alive as during the WON days.

I don't know if FF can really produce that for me. I played Fortress Forever when it first came out and actually had a 3 digit server count. It was great fun, but now it's become an uncertain prospect. It's sad how so much work was put in by you guys into FF and then the coming of TF2 wrecked so much of it (as it did to TFC).

Still, these things happen - it's just rather hard to get over.

Additionally, I'm a sucker for TFC's entities. Comparing it to TF2's entities are like comparing the construction of a skyscraper to Lincoln Logs. Though I don't know if I want to get in over my head with learning LUA. :\
there's your problem. Try it with the newest patches
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
jolt.co.uk's [FM] Fun Server
YES!!!!!!

i play there many times.....it's like you're at home everytime i go there.

great assortment of maps and community.

wish there were more servers like this one....it is a FUN server!!
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Will they run rock2? And will people not split when it pops up?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote