Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
no dont works...
vartaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #42
DD`

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3pth
Lots of people (me included) can play other source games and mods fine. I can't even start a server of my own or connect to any servers in FF... the weird part is I was able to play the beta fine..
Can you try to connect to this 81.92.97.210:27048 CSS and/or this TF2 server 217.199.212.8:27066.

Both were empty and picked at random (sort of), both connect fine then timeout within 30 seconds.

I seem to be able to connect to servers using the default port number (27015) and some others which I've not really figured out yet but it has to be something to do with ports.
DD` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #43
vartaxe

i will try this later this night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tuna_sandwich View Post
I believe I may have a semi-fix!!!!!! (At least its worked for me!)

Firstly my PC (not relevent but good for comparison):

Intel Quad Core Q6600
4GB RAM
Asus Striker Extreme (Nvidia 680i chipset)
640Mb Geforce 8800GTS

Using the nvidia network card on the motherboard.

Now I have a Speedtouch 780WL router, its running a custom template.
(See: http://www.zensupport.co.uk/Knowledg....aspx?id=10766 (I actually made this template and wrote the article)

In NAT mode, I get the problem. When I configure my PC to run in routed mode (with a public address) away goes the problem!

So perhaps a NAT issue with Speedtouchs? What network card are people running, and what routers?

NOTE: In order for this to work you'll need to be able to configure your Speedtouch in routed IP mode (or using the template above and using the routed functionality of it). In order to run in Routed IP mode you'll need an IP range avaliable for your use, such as the 8IP addresses optional for Zen Internet customers).
or maybee this first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tuna_sandwich View Post
TO CLARIFY THE BT HOME HUB IS A REBRANDED SPEEDTOUCH 780WL

Seems the problem is Speedtouch related, I'll bring it up when I'm in work tomorrow.

For Zen users you can either try the knowledge base article described earlier (providing you have the 8 IP option) or you can try the following (Providing you have a speedtouch):

Goto your router config page usually: http://192.168.1.254

On Left Hand side select Home Network.
You should see a list of all the devices on your network, find your computer and click on its name.
Under Pick a task... select Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device
You should have an Edit link on the right of Internet. Click that.
From the drop down list for Device select your computer then click Apply.
Acknowledge the popup box.
Now renew the DHCP lease on your computer. Easiest way is reboot your computer, alternatively you can goto Network Connections, right click your Local Area Connection and select Repair.

Any luck?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #44
vartaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tuna_sandwich;6712960
TO CLARIFY THE BT HOME HUB IS A REBRANDED SPEEDTOUCH 780WL

Seems the problem is Speedtouch related, I'll bring it up when I'm in work tomorrow.

For Zen users you can either try the knowledge base article described earlier (providing you have the 8 IP option) or you can try the following (Providing you have a speedtouch):

Goto your router config page usually: http://192.168.1.254

On Left Hand side select Home Network.
You should see a list of all the devices on your network, find your computer and click on its name.
Under Pick a task... select Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device
You should have an Edit link on the right of Internet. Click that.
From the drop down list for Device select your computer then click Apply.
Acknowledge the popup box.
Now renew the DHCP lease on your computer. Easiest way is reboot your computer, alternatively you can goto Network Connections, right click your Local Area Connection and select Repair.

Any luck?
OMFG!!! I'M FINALY PLAYING!!! LOOKS LIKE THE PROBLEM WAS MY PC DONT HAVING THE PUBLIC IP ADDRESS ASSIGNED TO IT... CYA GUYS PLAYING FF AND TF2 (BTW IN MY OPINION IT IS A VALVE UPDATE'S PROBLEM... BECAUSE NORMALY ITS NOT NEEDED TO HAVE AN PUBLIC IP...)

Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #45
DD`

Nice that you got it working but that's not a solution that's a workaround which isn't going to work for everyone unfortunately.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #46
vartaxe

yeah but it certainly helps, just make shure you have the rights ports forwarded... steam://support/?Issues=* and public ip...

awaiting valve fix or speedtouch's fix...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #47
DD`

Can someone without a public IP assigned to their pc edit their Half-Life 2 entry to look like this and see if it makes any difference:

I seem to be able to stay on servers for longer than 30 seconds I couldn't before, but I cant say 100% this will solve your problems.

I think valve must have changed the port range they use in Steam without notifying anyone as if you search anywhere on the net they don't mention the port range I have here but in the link just posted (steam://support/?Issues=*) they are the ports checked. Before changing my ports to the ones above the diagnostics passed but failed to hold a connection on servers using certain ports. Now with the correct? ports forwarded it passes but also manages to stay on servers without timing out (from limited testing at least).

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #48
vartaxe

my settings:

Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #49
DD`

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe
my settings:
They didn't work without a public IP assigned to your pc?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #50
vartaxe

with no public ip it didnt work! now with public ip it works...!!!

btw i was passing the steam test with and without public ip...

Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #51
vartaxe

i just forwarded the whole 27000 - 27050 because cybercafe stuff needs some more ports...

Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27020 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive
Dedicated or Listen Servers
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)
-----------------------------------------------------
UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive
TCP 27040 and 27041*
*CyberCafe Owners only
-----------------------------------------------------
UDP Ports: Passed
The following UDP ports were reachable.
UDP Port: 27000 - 27040

TCP Ports: Passed
The following TCP ports were reachable.
TCP Port: 27020 - 27040

looks like even valve dont know exactly what ports to open... lol

Last edited by vartaxe; 09-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #52
vartaxe

here are some links with speedtouch firmwares and stuff...

http://ugolini.com.au/speedtouch/
http://www.cormain.com.au/store/agor...tml#speedtouch
http://www.speedtouchforum.de/viewto...5986ca1a0fe42b

Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #53
vartaxe

btw:
Quote:
Right I forgot one important fact: Speedtouchs lie.

When you Disable the firewall in the web interface it dosn't ACTUALLY disable the firewall.

To fully disable the firewall you need to telnet to your router and disable it.

* Firstly get yourself a command prompt window. From the start menu select Run. Type cmd and press OK. You should have a black window.

* One the command window type: "telnet 192.168.1.254" and press Enter

* You should get asked for a username. By default this is "Administrator" type it and hit Enter

* Next you need to type your passowrd. By default there isn't one, just hit Enter

* You should now have a prompt => type the following "firewall config state disabled" then hit Enter

* You should just get another => prompt and no errors. This time type "saveall" and hit Enter

* Again at the prompt => type "Exit" and hit Enter

And now try TF2 again and tell me your findings!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #54
D3pth
ModCenter Site Director

Send a message via ICQ to D3pth Send a message via AIM to D3pth Send a message via MSN to D3pth Send a message via Yahoo to D3pth
i would hardly say this problem is solved...

First of all not everyone has a speedtouch, and this workaround only works for people on private networks with access to their router. My computer is at the office on IGN's network which I of course have no access to.

It's not a valve problem because on the exact same computer I can play other source games and mods. So that obviously points to an FF specific problem.
D3pth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #55
Tessai

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This is not a router issue at all. In testing ways to fix this problem, I've hooked my PC directly to my cable modem. No changes in performance.

What has worked for me, however, is to change all graphics settings to their minimum (IE: Model Detail:Low) and set my ingame resolution from 1024*768 to 800*600. A workaround, but I've gone from spending 10+minutes connecting (if it connected at all) to roughly 2 minutes.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #56
DD`

The timing out issue 30 seconds after connecting is router related. I can't be bothered messing around with it anymore so I'm using my Netgear until a firmware update or whatever fixes it.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #57
vartaxe

btw my rates are set to 20000/40/40

Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #58
Sickle

Anyone know how to set up a public IP for comcast routers? I think it's linksyss not sure though.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #59
SaII

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaxe
EDIT: PEOPLE JUST MAKE SHURE YOURE PC HAS AN PUBLIC IP ADDRESS ASSIGNED TO IT! AND IT SHOULD WORK!
how do you know if your pc has a public ip address?

and how to change it

Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #60
vartaxe

Quote:
Solution?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKIP TO SOLUTION 2 IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS DIARY WHICH IT TURNED OUT TO BE..

I've been having these exact same problems as well. I've read through the whole thread and tried all suggested solutions, but none of them has solved the problem for me.

Someone in this thread noted that problems started to arise when they installed the Insurgancy mod. I'm not sure if the issue might be related to it, but I also installed Insurgancy, but am not sure if that was the moment the problems started. Does Insurgancy do something with port 27010 or 27011???

Reproducing the problem
For me, the reproducable scenario is the following:
1) Launch TF2 (or any other source game)
2) Open the server browser, retrieve a list of servers.
3) Connect to any of the servers
4) It will either stop at the loading screen or a few seconds after being in the game. You will receive a "Warning: connection problem".

IMPORTANT: The problem occurs exactly 1 minute after you refreshed your server browser.
IMPORTANT2: The problem only seems to occur when using server browser when connecting to your server. If you use something like HLSW or nnscript (IRC) it doesn't occur. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Solution 1 (Although solution 2 is better if possible)
For everyone having the same issue with Speedtouch modems (I've got the 780), the following information may solve it. However, it may require some expertise to apply it. Keep on reading.

As I'm not a stranger to telnetting to modems etc, I've been testing a bit more. I've found something interesting.

The 'connection applist' command retuns this line in particular:

Quote:
GAME(UDP) udp 0 enabled 1' 0" ------

The 1' 0" means the timeout is set to 1 minute. The timeout can be changed to 10 seconds using:

Quote:
connection appconfig application=GAME(UDP) timeout=10

If you change the timeout to 5 minutes (300 seconds), the problem will occur after 5 minutes. The reason I changed the value to 10 seconds, is so that after retrieving the server list in the server browser, I just wait around 15 seconds before attempting to join the server. The problem will not occur now.

Cause
The cause seems to be that once the GAME(UDP) application is triggered, it will shut down all connections to the particular IP after the timeout (somehow the serverbrowser uses port 27010 or 27011 which triggers this binding???). The speedtouch may not distinguish it's connections on port level but on IP level on this specific part of the modem.

Solution 2
A little while later I found an even better solution. To completely stop the problem on my setup, I have done the following. Enter the command:

Quote:
connection bindlist

You will get a result like, you will be needing this information:

Quote:
GAME(UDP) udp 27010-27011

Enter the command (modify this if your portrange says something else!):

Quote:
connection unbind application=GAME(UDP) port=27010-27011

This completely solved the problem here. Note that this solution is only possible if you have a speedtouch (or similar) modem... in other modems the solution may be possible, but with other commands.

Sorry for the extensive story, I'm just glad I finally got rid of this connection issue and I'm hoping this technical stuff may ring some bells at some devs.

Last edited by vartaxe; 09-24-2007 at 05:00 PM.