Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #42
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
So someone did decide to take up flagrun after I abandoned it eh? Lookin' forward to seeing something; good luck with it.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #43
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Just a heads up?

Dude, I've helped like every beta mapper with Lua already. Where the fuck have you been, man?
I know that, but you said that you have not actually mapped before. What I meant was that designing and actually making the map, entities, etc. is usually 40+ hours for one map that is not a piece of crap. I had no idea if you knew that or not, so. d:

But yeah, considering that you are the end boss of the internets, you probably already knew that.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #44
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I was aware, yes.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #45
Doughnut-4|4-

Id like to see the point system altered. Ten Points for Four Flags is a lot of hard frustrating work. Might I recommend maybe One Point for Each Flag capture and then a bonus for all Four Flags... for 1,000,000 points!
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #46
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
no... all four flags gets you a map win. Each flag should have its own point win. What I cant remember is if it is 10 points for the team, or if it is 10 points for the team AND 10 points for you. (I think it should be both, cuz like you said, it is a LOT of work for just one flag)
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #47
Doughnut-4|4-

This idea's far-fetched but it might balance the map more so hear me out. When a flag has been taken, the runner is given a full minute to get that flag home. If the flag isn't captured within that time limit, it is returned. This would prevent strategies which include giving the flag to your HWGuy.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #48
Doughnut-4|4-

Three Flag CTF

Here's another idea which I like, but it's so different, it maybe best reserved for a completely different map all together. In the current map Flagrun 2 neutral flags appear in the middle of the map while 2 team flags appear in either base (Blue & Red). My idea would start the map with 1 neutral flag in the middle. Once a team successfully took this flag back to their base, each team would then spawn another flag - so there'd be now 3 flags in play (the captured neutral flag, the blue flag in blue base, & the red flag in red base).

Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #49
MikeQuist
Person

Hmm, good ideas but too drastic to implement at the moment.

Flagrun Status Update

So the vast vast vast majority of brushwork is done. The only things not completed for major brushwork is a silly medpack station and the far spawn. This was actually a lot of work considering that I really only worked for 2-3 weeks non stop. And the last two weeks I've been in Alaska, LA, Seattle, and Gainesville, FL. And before that all I was in Costa Rica. So you get the point I was busy. But that's done now. So here's what's left:

1. Indoor Lighting Fixtures and Entities
2. Doors
3. Spawn Entities
4. Ground Displacements
5. Outside details (Props, etc)
6. Base Mirror
7. Flag System

When 1-5 or 6 are done I'll start a new thread with screenies.
MikeQuist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #50
Spider-Waffle

Like someone else mentioned, the neutral flag holder is very poor and clunky. It's often BS which team gets the neutral flags. Those one way doors on top of the ladders don't close fast enough if they don't want you coming out the same way you entered. They can also be blocked open by another teammate. I think there should be a whole new design for that whole deal with the neutral flags. Also there needs to be a text display or audio cue to give warning before the neutral flags open. Such as "30 seconds until neutral flags available", "10 seconds until neutral flags available", "5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

I never liked how it had that separate respawn room by the stair well and the flags. It is generally pretty crappy for the O when you spawn there randomly unless there is enemy O trying come through that way at the time in which case it's amazing. I remember engaging a medic going through the side hallway, killed him, then he spawned in that respawn again, we fought again, killed him again, then he spawned there a third time and killed me before I could get to the stairs.

I would just leave that room as a resupply but not put respawns in there.

It'd be nice if the battlements connected so an O solj, pyro, or demo could go across them. Or so you don't have to use a conc to do it. You can jump across as med or scout but there's damn invisible walls there which only give you like 6 inches jump off of and land on.

I agree with you that more than two pathways to exit with a flag is bad. The selling point of the map should be in hunting down flag carriers and trying to return them. I think it would nice however, it was easier to get to the flags. Widening up the two entrances to the flag room would help. Or you could make another path which the defensive team can go both ways through but the offensive team can only enter through. Maybe this would be most appropriate for the other battlement path which connects to the rarely used room.

I think the current battlement path should have defense only doors on both sides to prevent fights right by the respawn.
Spider-Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #51
MikeQuist
Person

The battlement path has been opened up some, and two doors and two spawns should make defensive door blocking impossible.

The entrances to flagroom have been changed a little...Not much. But the hallways around the second floor of that building have been widened and are higher. So offense should have a little more movement in those parts than they did before.

2 Stairwells have been added, one where the elevator to the bridge was, and one where the balcony hangover is. This should improve movement for everybody, and hopefully will make the walk from the back spawn to the yard more bearable. If not, the option for spawn to spawn teleportation is on the table.

The battlement to battlement ledge walk is a possibility, but if I keep it in, it will include transversing some rocks, so be prepared for a slightly vulnerable journey. Of course after some testing, some clipping might be introduced to take this out.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #52
Spider-Waffle

I think there is a lot options here that would be good for a playtest.

If you add that extra battlement path with one-way for offense doors I think the current battlement path is unneeded. It could just be made into the respawn. That path never got used by the O much anyway because you'd run into people that just respawned half of the time.

I think the current defense only door is a great candidate to add a one-way offense scheme too it. It could be a double door system so offense can't let other offense through it, or maybe that should be left an option as well.

Another idea to make the flags easier to get but not easier to take away would be move them away from the wall a good 5-10 feet. Also not putting them on a platform would help too.

After all, if the best defensive strategy by far and away is to stop the O right by the flag spawns or at the choke points to the flag room and rarely do anything else the map really isn't that much different that 95% of the CTF maps out there.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #53
MikeQuist
Person

Spies will be able to use to the defensive only door

Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #54
Spider-Waffle

Ah that's fairly neat then, that might be all it needs. I've become a big proponent to this flags away from wall idea. This just makes it little bit harder to kill someone with rockets, nades, and pipes right when they pick up a flag. This I think would lead to more flag carrier confrontations at other parts of the map. I hope something like this could get play tested.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 AM   #55
MikeQuist
Person

Its a cool idea...To have the flag platform as an island or something... I'll think seriously about it.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #56
Spider-Waffle

Have you come up with an idea for the neutral flags yet? If there is going to some room with the flags in them I think there should only be one doorway into the room. So the defense actually has a decent shot at stopping someone that's trying to get in as soon the door can open.

I was thinking maybe you could have something like the current setup but no doors at the top. Instead have a elevator on the grenade pack that takes you put to the flags And then you have fall back down the elevator shaft. The entrance at the bottom should be harder to conc out of. Maybe instead of sloping down it should slope up slightly. So you have to walk out of the place before you can conc up to the bats.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #57
ViLE
fastest pipe in the east

Send a message via ICQ to ViLE Send a message via AIM to ViLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
Yea another route and generally make the map smaller in length its far far too big. You could make it smaller by simply reducing the second yard's size (that is the one in each team's base) and removing the bridge/making it smaller between FR and spawn.
flagrun is absolutely fine and here's why: people who don't suck at tfc take less than 10 seconds to get from their flagroom to enemy flagroom.
another route would ruin the sanctity of the map, and making it smaller would make the play experience like dropping a flag outside the lower respawn in congestus.

Last edited by ViLE; 07-24-2007 at 08:22 PM.
ViLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #58
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLE
flagrun is absolutely fine and here's why: people who don't suck at tfc take less than 10 seconds to get from their flagroom to enemy flagroom.
another route would ruin the sanctity of the map
haha, qft.
SkynYrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 AM   #59
IvaQuaL

the tower DAMMIT
IvaQuaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #60
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
^^^^ I was waiting for someone to say it!!! ROFL!!!!
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote