Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
o_niknakk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Rendering Software

hey FFTeam..

very impressed wit all the work so far..all e best in its launch. anxiously waiting for it

alrite now that i've sucked up enough..i really would like to know what tool the model team is using to make the models for the mod. like the sentry guns and dispensers in the picts posted on the homepage. was it done with 3DsMax? cos i've been workin myself on Maya..but with the knowledge i have of it so far, i cant say i can actually produce such clean renders.

so what tool issit that's being used to create the models..? maps im sure ur on Hammer :P
alrite thanks. i would really like to try out that 3D program for myself...so response a.s.a.p greatly appreciated.
o_niknakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
o_billdoor

Sev uses 3DS Max. I think rebo uses Maya, but I'm not sure.
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
o_digital_ghost

I figured you guys would be using XSI, since thats what the game was made with. Also XSi has produced a free version of thier software for game modelers etc specifically for HL2.

Dont get me wrong, maya and 3dsmax are great, but XSI is by far the best 3d/animation pro gout there right now. I was trained to use 3dsmax when i went to college and my g/f is currently using XSI in her school right now, and its a beautiful program.
o_digital_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
o_sobe green

I was always under the impression they limited what you could do in the program so people might consider buying it, thus making it a shat program. But then I never use it, thats just what I heard.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #5
o_niknakk

hmm well alrite..there's mention of 3dsmax n maya n xsi as possible tools being used..well which one's being used for FF model making?

i tried to work on xsi ever since valve released the Tools/SDK thingy on steam..but i cant seem to work around the freakin retarded demand XSI has...i need a minimum of 1280x720 reso to run the program.
i totally understand the reasons behind it's reso demands, but it aint that big of a prob in my opinion so much so it 'restricts' the reso-impaired peeps from using it

so 3dsmax the tool ? anyone wit 3dsmax experience im sure can tell immediately by just looking at the pictures at the FF homepage.."Sentry gun redering" whether it was done with 3dsmax or not...so thnx. im not sure bout xsi....but o well.
sentryguns
dispenser
o_niknakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
o_sev

Considering the image lists me as the model creator, and billdoor told you I use Max, the renders were done in Max

Digital Ghost, it's all a matter of preference, really. I feel XSI is total crap, so I stick with Max.
o_sev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
o_sobe green

So is what I heard true? XSI is just a way of saying "Hey buy our product"?
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
o_sev

I don't know, I just don't like it so I don't use it, simple as that
o_sev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The best summary of different 3D applications can be found here::

http://www.zaon.com/company/articles/3d_rendering.php

All have advantages and disadvantages, certainly for applications that cost thousands to buy none are "rubbish". You need to choose a work style suitable to you and learn it well.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I think Max, Maya, and XSI are all great products. You tend to like the one that you know most, since they are all super-frustrating to use if you don't know their keyboard shortcuts
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #11
o_spud

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
XSI is a great bit of software, it is superior in its effiency to model complex and detailed models. 3DS does nearly everything you can do in XSI except it takes about twice as long. Sometimes I compare it to using paint shop pro instead of photoshop.

Problem with XSI is that it has an extremely steep learning curve. Things don't make sense and the overly technical names for each little technique can be daunting.

XSI is also (like maya) one of the best animation packages and considering the amount of animation needed for hl2 was one of its reasons for being chosen as choice software.

It used to be that 3DS was best for low poly and xsi hi poly but these days that line is blurred, as mentioned, people tend to stick to the one they know. There is no right or wrong software.
o_spud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
o_digital_ghost

My g/f says there is right software!! Its XSI *franticly flails* Shes just kidding though,lol Seriously we do both agree with your post spud, excellent points.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
o__thursday_

I believe XSI is recommended to be run at such a high resolution but can be run at a minimum of 1024x768?

If you have an ATi card, you should be able to 'trick' and force your monitor in to a higher resolution anyway.
o__thursday_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
o_digital_ghost

nope far as i know, it needs 1280x1024 to be able to run, bu of course thats for version 3.5 . Where as vers 4.0 doesnt need that resolution to run.

If you're going to run XSI at a lower res, it will make it harder to see everything on your screen though cause of the large interface that it uses.