Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2004, 04:40 AM   #1
o_warmage_magus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Other Source Fortress mods

I dont have the time or energy to look through forums across the internet, but what is this I hear about the other HL2 Fortress mods?

I heard, also, that some of the same team members on this squad are working on a seperate, rival game?

What are your thoughts on the other projects? I'm sure it will be something like, "There is no doubt we will Rock the Socks off of the other mods"
o_warmage_magus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
o_omega

this 1 http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=253980 or are there more ppl working on a tf mod
o_omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
o_storm

I think you should develop the time and the energy rather than relying on other peeple to do it for you.
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
o_j++

Quote:
by the new year? How is all that possible to get done in less than a month?

Because it's been in the works for awhile
That and I don't exactly have a job right now...

Well, I mean that there will be MINIMALLY an alpha version out by the 1st
Might be a good idea to get this guy working on your mod.
o_j++ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2004, 02:09 AM   #5
o_darkenrahl

I can't see that mod contesting with this one.. does the guy even have a team? I would play the other one for some fun, but it also looks like not that much thought has gone in to balance.
o_darkenrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
o_storm

You are kidding aren't you JJ? If the guy's forum post is indicative of the work he is doing on this mod then I will eat my bollocks if an alpha is released before the new year.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

... he's welcome to make a Mega TF mod. Good luck to him. We have all the coders we need right now though.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
o_zydell

I do hope that there will not be like 6 new TF mods, because although it seems nice that there is much more choice Id rather have 2 versions: a complete port to half-life2 (what tfc:s should be) with only the realy BUGS solved (nailgren etc) and an improved version of TFC (what FF should be).
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
o_storm

There are a lot more than 6 in development at the moment. As with HL1 there will eventually be hundreds of mods with only a few actually making it to completion and even fewer becoming popularised.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
o_pizzahut

.id mod, tfc2.net and meanguns.com look pretty dead to me, so that leaves:

# Fortress Forever
# Mega TF for HL2 (as mentioned by Omega)
# TFC:S & TF2 by Valve
# Weapons Factory

You should actually take a look at the HL2 webby of WF.

http://www.planethalflife.com/hlwf/
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
o_afx

Weapons factory is a different enough mod to not really be comparable and i cant see megatf being any more of a challenge than neotf is to tfc.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
o_zydell

It's really interesting that there is apparently so much interest in a tf follow-up on the hl2 engine while valve seems to do absolutely nothing about that. I expect that only 2 mods will eventually be released and played. One problem might be that tfc used to be included automatically in (the) hl (upgrades) so if you wanted to play cs you automatically had tfc installed too and eventually will try it and this will not be the case with third-party modifications. I know steam has this third-party tab in 'Play games' but Im sure that it's not as efficiently as it used to be on WON

Old 01-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
o_storm

I am glad I didnt have to eat my bollocks!

also if your bored...

http://www.planethalflife.com/hlwf/

Old 01-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #14
o_zydell

I... just hope that the fortress-forever website and contents will be 'different'...

Old 01-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #15
o_justicedog

Weapons Factory vs. TFC

I started online games with Q2 and Weapons Factory mod. When it ported to Q3 (WFA), my computer couldn't handle the graphics, so I moved to TFC and played it for years before moving to CS. Yeah, the games have a huge amount of similarities, but I think they will be different enough that they might not be directly competitive, but some people (like me), will probably play both. Good luck on this mod, as I was an avid TFC fan. The only thing I saw that kinda bummed me is the bunny hopping issue. Class based games have numerous ways of "evening" the classes and speed of different classes was one of the best. When you have a fatty (HWG) with his chaingun moving at the same speed (if that person knows the skill) gives an extremely unfair advantage to that class and player. Plus this skill is something a large number of people don't understand, so it gives another unfair advantage to those leet players.
o_justicedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #16
o_pizzahut

WF for HL2 seems to be a one-man project atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ==Whammy==
I made a couple of maps for the Q2 version, but I was not part of the development team. I did the HL1 version of WF by myself. Right now, I'm the only one working on the HL2 version with any commitment towards it. As bad as that sounds, it's actually faster this way, at least to start. It's when you want a bunch of new models and maps that the extra help comes in handy. The coding is the easy part.
There are a couple of movies of the Q3A version, here.
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

A one man MOD isn't going to get far without any content so until he gets some team members to create art/maps/models I doubt we'll be seeing much. Good luck to the guy, though. It's always nice to have more MODs to choose from
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #18
o_storm

mega tf guy just said

Quote:
I've hit a few walls recently with the physics engine, it's really a pain to deal with some of the stuff. I've only had a SINGLE person offer to help, which was just a few minutes ago. I'm starting school in a week, which will be another big setback unfortunately
which is hardly a suprise, as with HL thousands of mods will enter the planning stage, hundreds will enter have some sort of start made on them but only a few will actually be finished to the point where people will play them.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #19
o_duragone

I started out with quake, then TF, then quakeworld TF, then Quake2 CTF, Quake 2 WeaponsFactory, TFClassic, and then I tried Q3Fortress for quake3. I'm on dialup, and Q3Fortress was almost impossible to play due to the netcode in quake3 being only for broadband there on the end. I'm just hoping that whoever comes out with the next great TF mod will make the netcode dialup friendly, that way everyone can play alright.
o_duragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #20
o_destroyer*nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duragone
I started out with quake, then TF, then quakeworld TF, then Quake2 CTF, Quake 2 WeaponsFactory, TFClassic, and then I tried Q3Fortress for quake3. I'm on dialup, and Q3Fortress was almost impossible to play due to the netcode in quake3 being only for broadband there on the end. I'm just hoping that whoever comes out with the next great TF mod will make the netcode dialup friendly, that way everyone can play alright.
well seeing as how this mod is using the hl2 game this is a big ask...
o_destroyer*nz is offline   Reply With Quote