Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

View Poll Results: What version of daytime do you prefer for amped?
the dark night theme with the moon 60 73.17%
the day theme with the sun 10 12.20%
nothing , because both sucks. 12 14.63%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2006, 02:02 AM   #521
o_bumgravy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonfa
select the whole thing, copy/paste it, flip it and align it, simple as that
noob warning: if you want an exact copy, dont copy, paste then flip. You should copy, paste then ROTATE 180 degrees on the z axis (tools> transform), if you flip you get flagrun style mirror-symetry, if you rotate you get a replica of the same base.

this is something you only learn once youve actually flipped it and done all the inter-base work before you realise your mistake!
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #522
o_player

Flip it vertically and then flip it horizontally then :P
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #523
o_ambex

It's really sad that this map is shit now, look how it turned out after this betatesting. I'm not unanimous, but all the things you've said about it now, I don't know how much i need to squeeze from this map to get it playable, it's like i did a good sprung when i started this map.

Now i regain this back after exactly 1 year of mapping on this map. And this is my first map ever for FF, I've never made any tfc maps before so don't even tell me. I've tried to rework the map partly but that didn't help me and now you says it's like a maze, when it's only 8 ladders in the base.

That the layout is bad and like all is missing and this makes it mixed up and makes me attempt to leave this map and quit mapping..
cause it will never be a good playable map for the mod and it's too cramped, it's lean..

but when i try to interpert and explain how hard it's to make a new original map when you still go way forward.. and yall claim that I need to take and tidy this map up but i can't, don't, know where to start from everytime i clash into a damn problem again.

I'm not going to do more maps, I'll fix this map in performance but I'll leave it as it is. This isn't a far sighted map and i have felt into this despaired situation when I don't know what i can do with this map, and all about this.

And still people complain that it won't be playable, well it won't be, then it won't be. I'm not goin to start over this map from scrath it will take too much of time and it's boring.

I allways had this random feeling that i sucks in mapping..
and this map only magnifyes this feeling more now.

Now i don't know what to do, this map isn't even durable for a GAME..

I find it very unfortunately that nobody likes this map.
And that's not unintentionally.

Last edited by o_ambex; 06-17-2006 at 06:43 PM.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #524
o_shadow34721

tfc is an offenders game.
any map that does not accomandate offense and make it fun to offend is doomed to failure. its really that simple.
you HAVE to map with offense in mind.
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #525
o_paft

From the picture it looks great. But I can't test as i don't have a graphics card and don't own Half-life 2 yet. If it's not playable because it's too cramped and whatnot, how about a different type of gameplay?

I really don't know what i'm talking about becuse I don't know what the maps like.

Last edited by o_paft; 06-17-2006 at 07:21 PM.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #526
o_alligator

Visually, your map is great. Although we make claims that it MIGHT not be playable for this mod, we might be wrong. You cannot just make claims that :you suck at mapping: when this hasn't been tested in the actual mod. Instead of ladders, use something else, expand some rooms a bit, and optimized your map and it is all good. As shadow mentioned, you have to be thinking about the offense. Right now, some rooms are a bit cramped - how will they manage to go through? Expand - make it bigger - I am sure you are capable - you already did enough - you just have to fix the problems that might affect game play. In no way are you not a good mapper - better than most.

Last edited by o_alligator; 06-17-2006 at 07:23 PM.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #527
o_nezumi

Just keep in mind that, for now, it's a fact that the map looks cool* and it's only speculation that it won't play well.

So don't get disconsolate untill FF comes out

*to generally everyone.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #528
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
It's a fine map, just not a fine TF map. You dig?

Old 06-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #529
o_ambex

ok i dig all

then i'll try to make something other..

Old 06-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #530
o_own3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
ok i dig all

then i'll try to make something other..
You really need to play TFC and see how the game works before even trying to make a map for it. When your very familiar with it then you are in a much better position to make a good map. As this mod is largly based of TFC.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #531
o_player

Replace the ladders with jump pads and you have solved one problem.

Also, your map looks nice but the problem you bumped into before you even started to create the map was with the layout. It just isn't offence-friendly which will, in turn, make it an unbelievably boring map to play in league-style gameplay and a fun map in public gameplay, which is what I believe you had in mind when designing the map as you tend to mention sniping wars a lot in regards to this map.

You can rework some of the layout; for example, instead having ladders, you can, like I had previously mentioned, use jump pads. Something like this:

would speed up gameplay and make it more entertaining for both defence and offence. What do you think of my amazing alternate answer for ladders? :P

What you really need to do is replace all the stairs with ramps, or place a clip brush over the stairs so they act as ramps. You should also remove every single fence within your map as they will seriously hinder gameplay. This will open up the map a lot and allow for some more enjoyable, free gameplay where everything isn't so cramped.

You can also either remove the doors or make them open instantly so there will be no chances of clipping the door. It would be better if you removed them as with or without the doors there is no fps change and it gives the offence a chance to see what is coming, which will allow for greater, more fluid gameplay. And when I say remove the doors, only remove the working doors and leave the spawn doors in place. Obviously.

And you should also offer an alternate route into the flagroom; maybe you should look at the map Oppose2k1; that has a nice flag room perhaps you could use the same feature from that.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #532
o_shadow34721

my god, was that textured by a blind four-year-old?
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #533
o_player

Indeed, it was supposed to be a replica of Amped's entrance, but I had no time to texture it which, as you can see, resulted in a very badly textured map and I also plan on releasing it to the public as I belive its gameplay is superb; maybe I should have added some trees protruding from the walls or something like that :P

Downloads will be available by tomorrow.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #534
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Nice framerate on it.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #535
o_donny

Jump pad? Kinda like thouse round alien thingys in HL1?

Fan would be a better idea and easy to make. Just one push entry on brush and you are all set. Oh and some fan like sound.

Kicks the hair out of ladders.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #536
o_nezumi

I don't know what everyon's deal with ladders is. I think ladders are fine.(Assuming they're HL1 ladders. I HATE the new type of ladder)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #537
o_player

Yes, Nezumi, ladders are fine, but with Ambex's current map layout, they just don't fit. They will ruin almost every aspect of the map for offence players and only some for the defenders by slowing gameplay down and making the climbers incredibly vulnerable in his tight hallways :P

Old 06-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #538
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Yes sort of like No mans land(forgot which one) times 3 on the way to the flag room
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #539
o_ambex

Yeah , player you gave me a brilliant idea. Jump pads, original and easy to make, not difficult at all. It's the fastest way and best, diminishing the ladders would make this map be very fun wich i hope of course. I can try to clean up with details and props in some areas that doesn't need it both and open up perhaps some rooms on latitude and height. Even if amped isn't that particular i'd like to implement this jump pad idea and remove the doors, fix the flagroom and prefer this help guide you wrote here. For the sole purpose i'd like to change amped.

Why didn't it felt me in inside my mind that jump pads is awsome?

is this what you are talking about?

Last edited by o_ambex; 06-19-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #540
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Looks neat, where'd you get it?