Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
why shouldn't they play sniper? it's a valid class in FF, isn't it?

ps: your idea is crap
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #22
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
He's talking about picking up players that refuse to cooperate and would throw a fit without their AWP.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris
why shouldn't they play sniper? it's a valid class in FF, isn't it?

ps: your idea is crap
Telling them they can't play Sniper is practically forcing them to do just that.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #24
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
He's talking about picking up players that refuse to cooperate and would throw a fit without their AWP.
QBTISTOGWSTKTIAJ

(Quoted Because This Is The Only Guy Who Seems To Know That I Am Joking.)

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
SaberWolf

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
As a CS player. I know what he's talking about. I never play on no AWP servers (restricted awp is good though. I actually prefer that since then EVERY map wont become an AWP war). Those guys are panzies.
SaberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #26
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

The problem is that AWP is worse on public servers and perfectly fine in scrims and clan matches. Reason is, the AWP is a lot of money to spend in a match, and the players know what to do to fight it (smokes, flashes, avoiding the spots, etc)

In tons of pubs, not only can a bunch of people awp at once, money is really easy to come by or you can get it from bank mods/full money servers, and people don't know how to counter it. So I guess it seems unfair to them to have someone kill them with a one shot weapon.

Either way, AWP is fine, I avoid the servers that don't have it too.
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #27
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
1. How many beta testers are there total, including devs and non-devs? Since you can play 5v5 that tells us there are at least 10.
There's 86 beta testers. This includes, I think, 35 dev bitches. Of the 51 remaining actual "beta testers" most of them are never around, or are seen very fuckin' rarely.

Quote:
You guys said that you wanted to try and get more people in on the testing. I know we all are worried about when ff will out but nevertheless you should also stress test the game on larger scales, eventually up to the maximum.
We have more than enough to do that, and have for awhile, but no one is ever around. Personally, I'd like it if enough people were always around so that there's always people playin' in the beta servers, but it's hard enough keeping people around for the actual playtests. It's like a lot of the beta testers, they uhh... they were fine with coming on as a beta tester, became a beta tester, and that was pretty much the end of their involvement. They got added to the beta, anddddd they fucking vanished.

I'm also not saying that the beta testers are obligated to play FF with every spare minute of their time, or even be there for every single playtest, but making it to one of the big Sunday playtests every once and awhile must be really fuckin' hard to do for some people.

On average, we usually have 16-20 people for the Sunday playtest. The first 4 or 5 people leave after the first map, and after the second map it's usually down to about 6 or so people.

Most of the testers aren't active on the bug reporting system, either.

I have this uhh really stupid standpoint on the beta testing shit. I want us to have a shitload of beta testers. I want a "more open" beta test than what we currently have, but at the same time I'm annoyed at the beta testers and I don't want more worthless people. I mean, what the fuck is the point of having 300 beta testers if only 80 of them ever play the shit? Again, if you're a beta tester and you're reading this, and you've been to one of the Sunday playtests, been active on the beta forums, or pretty much anything in the past few weeks I'm not talking about your asshole. You're more gooder.

There's a lot of testers that are awesome, and they don't suck penis, though. I'm not saying all our beta testers are useless. I'm sure the useless ones aren't even around enough to be reading this. If you're a beta tester and reading this, you probably aren't a worthless pile of shit.

To me, I get the idea that some people actually want to beta test so they can genuinely help shit along, and most everyone else just like the idea of playing something that others can't.

Just like coloreds in the government.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #28
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
hey i've just been through a busy period. i'm back at the end of next week

Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #29
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Well I think just by you replying shows you're not one of the worthless ones. But I'm not saying you have to reply in order to not be considered worthless.

One thing Jesse said actually uh...I think we should get 300 testers so at least 80-100 of them are active all the time. Then we'd need more servers. And yeah...that'd be awesome. I want to be at a point where we can test FF with people at any time.

Like uh...some of the released HL2 mods out there that only have 100 or so active players at a time. Alright, I just realized 300 testers won't produce 100 active players.

It'd take 1,000...or more...haha, so I guess we'll have to deal with only 20 active on average. So how many testers would we need to essentially always have 1 of our 2 current servers full? Then we test on more than 2 servers on Sundays.

20 active testers...constantly. How many total beta testers would that require? Let's get rebo the math genius construction guy on it...
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #30
SmellyCat
Darknight

Ouch, that's pretty shitty. Guess there's never gonna be a way to guess which are the no-life 24/7 testers and which are the "worthless piles of shit(s)".

Either way - nice rant. :P
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #31
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Yeah, I explain good.

I want as many people as it takes to have "enough" active beta testers, but my stupid part is that I hate all the worthlessness from all the excess.

If we had to have 1000 beta testers to always have 1 server always full, fuckin'... start signing people up, but I still just want to burn off the faces of those, of the 1000, that never do anything.

I think I'm being a hypocrit, or something. I'm being a N-word with my rationality.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #32
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
just to let you guys know, ya know, to pass along to schtoofa n shit... some of us forum losers that are on here all the time have plenty of spare time and would gladly give out blowjobs and naked pictures of their girlfriends eating out other chicks to be ACTIVE beta testers. ahem. just uhhh... lettin ya know...

i really do have those pictures...
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #33
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jesse
We have more than enough to do that, and have for awhile, but no one is ever around. Personally, I'd like it if enough people were always around so that there's always people playin' in the beta servers, but it's hard enough keeping people around for the actual playtests. It's like a lot of the beta testers, they uhh... they were fine with coming on as a beta tester, became a beta tester, and that was pretty much the end of their involvement. They got added to the beta, anddddd they fucking vanished.

I'm also not saying that the beta testers are obligated to play FF with every spare minute of their time, or even be there for every single playtest, but making it to one of the big Sunday playtests every once and awhile must be really fuckin' hard to do for some people.

On average, we usually have 16-20 people for the Sunday playtest. The first 4 or 5 people leave after the first map, and after the second map it's usually down to about 6 or so people.

Most of the testers aren't active on the bug reporting system, either.
Then the obvious solution would be to add more beta testers to the pool, would it not? I mean, please, please tell me you are not going to release the game without stress testing the engine and server for the maximum number of players.

If you can only manage 16-20 people on a "big" playtest, how are you going to do a playtest with 32 people? And I recall there being something about 64 players at some point... good luck with that.

I know forum activity is not indicative of availability to test the game, but there are a lot of good people (like Nezumi, Geokill, Circ, etc.) who would be able to be useful members of the test team and might actually report bugs instead of just getting an advance look at the game. Cripes.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #34
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
just to let you guys know, ya know, to pass along to schtoofa n shit... some of us forum losers that are on here all the time have plenty of spare time...
See what I mean?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #35
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
yeah the forum Junkies that spent a shit load of time on the forum would spend a shit load of time beta testing. You could add like 30 more people that you know would be active beta testing. Well here are a few candidates. AKA* The FF Junkies

Circ
Nezumi
Shax
Deadly Furby
Bubbles
Uber
Skanky
Innoc
Loader
FrenchToast
Cruor
Ekim
YomamasHouse
Vertical
Psycnet (not really an old junky but yeah)
Skull and Spiderman
Player
drtom
Anshinritsumai
Ihmhi
Qui
Bumgravy
Stino
nodnarb
Nagual
Zippy
Me
etc...
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 AM   #36
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Naw your not an old Junky

No offence.
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 AM   #37
MrBeefy
Retired FF Staff

I think this absent tester problem stems from the fact that most beta testers were clan buddies of devs... who must've interpretted "beta tester" to mean "here, take a no-obligation peek at the game cuz we're friends" and that was the end of it. That's just nepotism to me. Nephew Freddy doesn't work very hard.

I brought on someone from the forums because they were always active on the forums. He's been a very active beta tester as well. Well behaved, well spoken and generally a mature kind of guy. We get frantic and angry enough from time to time on the dev side to have to worry about any of that from testers too.

If there weren't so many people in the forums arguing or bitching, there probably would have been a larger cull from that pool.

Just my two cents for both sides of the fence.

Last edited by MrBeefy; 03-23-2007 at 05:48 AM.
MrBeefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #38
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

You expect us to be mature? What the Hell are you thinking Beefster, this is the Internet!

See what I mean? =\

All in all, I would think that all of these people spend so much time on the forums because I like these people? Hells no. (Well maybe Nezumi... he's dreamy...) I am here for the game. I read these forums and write on them because I want to see this game made. If I were made a beta tester I would treat it as seriously as a job for any customer for my computer repair company.

I mean, that is what beta testing is basically, right? A job. It is not a free license to fuck around playing the game before everyone else; you are there to help test the game and find out bugs.

Right here on these forums (Geokill's list comes to mind) you have a very dedicated crop of people that spend a significant chunk of their day here. Some of them never seem to leave *cough**cough*CircNezumi*cough*. I would think that they would exhibit similar dedication in their work as beta testers.

From what trepid_jon and trepid_jesse says (and from logic alone; you are going to need more testers for bigger tests), you do not have enough beta testers. You have a dedicated group of people here who have been following this mod for months or even years. They have been with you through the SDK Linux problem, the forum move, all of the criticism and bullshit, the appearance of possible competition (TF2), the fall of another (Q4F), and a release date that has been pushed back more than an unlucky Scout by a well-placed sentry gun. In short, they are loyal fans who would probably do anything to help if you would just let them. You let some of these guys be beta testers and you will have people who actually give a shit about the game (instead of some nepotesters, a fun new word I made!) there to help you run playtests and detect bugs. You get to reward the loyal fans by letting them peek at the game early, and in turn you get a group of people (who obviously have a lot of time on their hands, what with all of the posting) who will be there when you need them. It is win-win-win. You win, beta testers win, and the fans win because more testers = more bug detection = faster release.

So why not just do it?

Lastly, before you make any sort of a decision, look at this picture of an adorable kitten. Aww.

And err for MrBeefy...

Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #39
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
^

extremely well said, sir. i concur wholeheartedly.

i may be weird n shit, but im a dedicated and pretty responsible human being when it comes to things i care about.

Last edited by Skanky Butterpuss; 03-23-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #40
radio

there is wisdom in ihmhi's words. you have a solid base on the forums. might be a good move to utilize it a bit more.

plus, if you do this. give them permission to publish media content of their own every once in a while. i'm sure there is someone active on the forums you can trust that could go through a pile of screenshots testers have taken every week, watermark the best and forward them to you for publishing. perhaps even videos.

Last edited by radio; 03-23-2007 at 06:33 AM.
radio is offline   Reply With Quote