Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Streeteh

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
What do the testers think

I've noticed on this forum as of late we have had people requesting to be a beta tester, moaning about not being a beta tester and just generally people wanting to complain about that which they cannot have.

This thread is not about the release date of fortress forever, whether double jumping is good or bad or whether pipebombs are green or yellow (GREEN FOR CHRISTS SAKE). This thread is here to ask those that have seen first hand that which so many people are waiting to try.

So, to the testers who are veteran (forgive the rather corny term "veteran" i was going to say "tried and tested", but that would involve using the term "test" twice in one sentance, which as we all know is just wrong... like incest levels of wrong, anyway continuing) veteran TFC players, what do you think of the mod as it currently is?

To those who were less experienced in TFC, how easy to get into is it for you? How much effort did it take for you to master skills such as conc jumping, bunnyhopping and double jumping?

How good is this mod REALLY turning out to be in your eyes? (be honest biznatches)

If a post of this nature has already been created feel free to delete/lock.
Streeteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I would like to add a question to the ones already presented as it is a valid subject from another thread.

Defrag said that they would not release the game in its current state because people could play a full, working version of TFC right now and that they would lose interest in FF if it were not complete.

In its current state, if the game were released (and not in closed beta), would you play the game all the time like you would TFC, or are all of the bugs, missing features, and unpolished existing features enough to sour you on the experience if you were a general member of the player population and not a beta tester?

(And no, this is not a sly request to get ff will out, this is a genuine question. d: )

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
from what I have heard there are two major bugs that keep the game from playing smoothly.
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
There's one here, but its old and full so I don't think another is too much to ask.

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ead.php?t=7896

But anyways, as to playability of FF right now? We can play full games, have done so already, and had 5v5 OvD matchstyle testing. Most of the class abilities are good, we're tweaking a few, same with weapons. Something new msyelf and some of the other testers are going to start is doing a lot more matchstyle testing, 4v4 5v5 and OvD (larger if we can get more) to get a good feel for competitive play. FF feels awesome right now, nothing is too overpowered (some classes still need some tweaks, of course,) bhopping seems just about right, and the double jump is the shit, definitely one of my favorite addons to the game.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeteh
what do you think of the mod as it currently is?
incomplete. good fun, but it's still lacking polish, and there's still bugs that need squashing. hence the lack of release. (dumb answer really, sorry but that's still the case)

Quote:
To those who were less experienced in TFC, how easy to get into is it for you? How much effort did it take for you to master skills such as conc jumping, bunnyhopping and double jumping?
well i'm not "inexperienced" as such, i used to play div3 (i think?) back in the day, so i understand most of the concepts. conc jumping is a funny one because i still can't just throw it on the ground and jump on a flat surface. if i use a ramp to gain a bit more height between myself and the grenade, then i go flying for miles.
as for bunnyhopping, well i've never been able to do it even in TFC, and haven't really taken time out to try thoroughly in FF. same goes for double jumping really.

Quote:
How good is this mod REALLY turning out to be in your eyes? (be honest biznatches)
well i mentioned this yesterday in the steam forums that this mod just isn't comparable to TF2. FF is made in people's spare time for a laugh (and to go on their CV). TF2 is a full time dayjob for a sizeable team of people. of course TF2 is going to seem more polished, no mere mod can achieve that. not unless someone like gearbox make it (which is again a full time sizeable team)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Defrag said that they would not release the game in its current state because people could play a full, working version of TFC right now and that they would lose interest in FF if it were not complete.

In its current state, if the game were released (and not in closed beta), would you play the game all the time like you would TFC, or are all of the bugs, missing features, and unpolished existing features enough to sour you on the experience if you were a general member of the player population and not a beta tester?
in it's current state it would quite possibly fall flat on its face after the initial interest from a first release. there are still things like flames not disappearing, and people still emitting burning sounds after they die.
gameplaywise, FF is pretty much in the bag i think, besides the minor tweaking. it's just the polish that needs to be added, and smoothing out all the small, yet incredibly irritating aesthetic problems. for this reason i hold such views. it's the small things, not just because i want to be a cunt and rub your noses in it :P

Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Aww cmon Merv, don't rub your cunt in their noses...

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Jayman
<insert funny comment>

The opinion of someone he has never played TFC would be a most valuable one. (Do FF plan to introduce such dudes at some stage?)

Or at least some one who is not one of the existing, anally retentive "l33t" TFC's who ponce around on public servers demanding strict, follow the "rules" or get banned, clan style play at all times regardless of peoples understanding or abilities..... and relectant to help newer players for fear of cramping their ever increasing ego's. I fear they would look at the mod from their own "will it fit into my leet little clan world" which would not be beneficial imho.

This is not aimed at anyone btw, just an opinion based on observation on my travels of TFC "public" servers.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Stephen
Sniper hater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman
Or at least some one who is not one of the existing, anally retentive "l33t" TFC's who ponce around on public servers demanding strict, follow the "rules" or get banned, clan style play at all times regardless of peoples understanding or abilities
I hate those fuckers.

WAA WAA OMFGWTFBBQ YUO BACKTRACKOR!!11!
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman
The opinion of someone he has never played TFC would be a most valuable one. (Do FF plan to introduce such dudes at some stage?)

Or at least some one who is not one of the existing, anally retentive "l33t" TFC's who ponce around on public servers demanding strict, follow the "rules" or get banned, clan style play at all times regardless of peoples understanding or abilities..... and relectant to help newer players for fear of cramping their ever increasing ego's. I fear they would look at the mod from their own "will it fit into my leet little clan world" which would not be beneficial imho.

This is not aimed at anyone btw, just an opinion based on observation on my travels of TFC "public" servers.
I agree with this standpoint

For example some hears the flag was taken kills the guy, just so happened the guy who killed him was a medic. The admin comes down like a tone of bricks and kickbans him for not being on offence. Thats how clanning servers work.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Greentea

Don't forget the class restrictions on pyro and sniper set to no one can play it. God forbid you let a sniper in a high level pub server it will ruin the e-peens of all the Gold team conc jumpers pahaha I forget the server name but it was basically an STA Silver+ server and they had 1 spot for sniper and it was openfire_l i got flammed sooo hard in the server for sniping that battlements picking people off i got vote kicked and server changed to no snipers ahah
Greentea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
this mod just isn't comparable to TF2. FF is made in people's spare time for a laugh
I heartily disagree. They are completely comparable - they are both FPS's in the same genre with the same classes and many similar maps, graphics, etc. Who makes them is irrelevant to sitting the two final products next to eachother.

I don't know if FF was made for a laugh, but I assume not - I bet the team takes it very seriously (or else I doubt theyd produce the incredibly high quality stuff they have). FF is producing architecture and gameplay which no other Source mod is doing. Additionally, some people just can't get into games that are too cartoony. I think one strength of FF (vs. TF2) is FF's pinch of realism. It also is having much more community involvement. Plus, FF will be out in the next year. TF2 will not be.

What I have played of the beta knocks my socks off - I've been following this mod for years and it is more than what I dreamed of. True, bugs definitely need to be squashed before release, but you will each be blown away.

Oh, and I didn't play much TFC, at least not relative to the others here. I did a few months, dabbled in a clan, but I was always a 'noob' in comparison to many on these forums.
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

when i say "for a laugh" i mean they do it in their own time as a hobby. in no way do i mean they don't give it their all for the time allowed. on the whole though i was referring to the much larger pool of resources valve have to pull from. their staff turnover probably isnt half as high, and each of those developers is doing it for a living, for a day job.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
richard nixon

I think that fire issue isnt just FF

because in DoD:S sometimes I'll accidentally TK someone and they'll punish me by setting me on fire and even after I die and on to the next round I'll keep hearing that damn fire sound unless I reconnect to the server or the map changes.

I think it happened in another source game too, but right now I can't remember. Hope they get that fixed, makes me want to van gogh my ears
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Like in HL2DM if you die underwater the water noise doesn't go away untill you disconnect.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

quality stuff!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
i think the fire issue is more the plugin that uses it than DOD:S itself...
fishBurger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Like in HL2DM if you die underwater the water noise doesn't go away untill you disconnect.
snd_restart.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
bind mouse1 "+attack; snd_restart"
bind mouse1 "+jump; snd_restart"
bind left "+moveleft; snd_restart"

etc.

Not the most elegant solution, but hey!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah, i was gonna suggest hacking it by executing a stopsound command on respawn, but thats just shit.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Okay, two more questions, for the beta testers or the devs:

1. How many beta testers are there total, including devs and non-devs? Since you can play 5v5 that tells us there are at least 10.

2. You guys said that you wanted to try and get more people in on the testing. I know we all are worried about when ff will out but nevertheless you should also stress test the game on larger scales, eventually up to the maximum.

As for any potential new beta testers, I suggest that you go over to a CS server and find someone. Just pick a random server; you can bet they do not know shit about teamwork. Tell them they can not play sniper and see what happens.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote