Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Lua

Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #21
truplaya

Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Competitive OVD servers have been around before, I think I remember maybe illogicality having one or GR or something and also maybe hoopajoo? OVD clanstyle play in the title or something... I could be wrong about who they belonged to cuz its been so long, but they were fun when occupied.These style servers would definitely serve regulars better. If im stacking up my big dollars I might invest in one when the new update comes...
truplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2014, 02:19 AM   #22
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Quote:

I mean basically what you're proposing is that the game be mechanically defined by the pickup standard. And even though in the opinion of a few, me included, that's the best way to play, I don't know if there's a way to do that which I can agree with. Or even scales well into full games.

Tbh I'm not really against the idea entirely, just using it on our one and only pub server. CS has strict competitive style pubs, that's great and that's something I'd love to see in FF, if we had that type of community to support all sorts of public play. I guess progressing along this line is a valuable learning experience and could provide us with a great variety of gaming options, I don't deny that nor am I against it. Just that while we have one pub I would prefer to see it more open.

Another thing to consider, is even if this is the way that a majority of our current pub scene plays, plenty of them still take quite hostile to it. Anything remotely "competitive" sounding has the potential of sparking quite the ire.
I wasn't arguing for a forced pickup standard in pubs, but rather giving an example of why it doesn't work. I was also illustrating that it can work, there's just way more involved than setting up game rules based on a set of esoteric gameplay ideals. Like to the point of having to make an entirely new game. The themeing issue was just one example I gave to avoid reaching new levels of tldr, it actually gets a lot deeper than that. There are thick textbooks and entire college courses on this kind of thing.

My whole point is successfully appointing game rules is something way out of the scope of pub server lua changes.
Quote:
I'd also say that if hunted were played as much as ctf, as in hunted is only played and there's no servers where you can play anything else, people would get tired of playing certain classes and probly lament the restrictions. Hunted restrictions probly also see a higher degree of acceptance due to the over all novelty of it. Kind of like playing heads up 7 up in the 2nd grade. You're teacher really just wants everyone to put their heads down and stfu, but you're more willing to go along with that because it's a game now, and not the same school work you've been doing all day.
Maybe, I mainly used hunted as an example because it's the closest parallel to FF's CTF gameplay. Most games made after the "old-school" era of PC games apply the methodology I described, including games people play 24/7 for years. I could've picked practically any military shooter, MMO, or casual game.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #23
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truplaya View Post
Competitive OVD servers have been around before, I think I remember maybe illogicality having one or GR or something and also maybe hoopajoo? OVD clanstyle play in the title or something... I could be wrong about who they belonged to cuz its been so long, but they were fun when occupied.These style servers would definitely serve regulars better. If im stacking up my big dollars I might invest in one when the new update comes...
That was me. It worked out pretty well actually, problem was there was no dedicated player base to get the games going and enforce ovd. When we would get 2-4 people from .gr or the pickup channel to start the game off we'd almost always end up with at least 6v6, and the server was frequently full. There rules weren't strict pickup style either, but rather "actually play the game" type rules. You could play o sol or d pyro if you wanted, just try to contribute something, even if it's just dming the front line defenders. The pub side of the community actually took to it a lot better than I'd imagined. The problem is it's unrealistic to just join a server by yourself in a game with the playerbase of FF, you really need a small group of people that will consistently get the game started. This way players will know they won't be standing alone in a server for 5 hours. o-t and especially talos had this at the time, and we didn't, so that was the end of that.

Also, I'm not sure if FF has the player base for an ovd pub anymore. When we ran the ovd server there was a decent sized group of the player base that wanted a midground between pub FFA and pickups, including most of my own clan, which is why we started the server to begin with.

Last edited by the_cake; 12-29-2014 at 02:45 AM.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #24
truplaya

Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
god i miss those old days....the matches, tryouts and bein demo vs you and tml (torture)... the days of that Brazilian guy with the deep wonky voice and broken english....I forget his name, but he was the man tho...im still excited bout ff tho, especially lately, ive seen a boost since the holidays seemingly...
truplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 AM   #25
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
Best gameplay ever, but also worst themeing ever.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

TF2 has some of the best theming ever but they cut out a lot of the gameplay to make it work.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #26
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
UPDATE

UPDATE!!

Check original post.
  • Added Game Rules
    • game_ff_armor
    • game_readyup
    • game_duels
  • Rewrote install instructions.
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Updated
  • Game_readyup
    • The available ready list commands now cycle randomly through them all for the tip at the top.

Last edited by R00Kie; 06-06-2015 at 07:12 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #28
Fat-Suzy
Server Owner

Class/Position: Engineer / Heavy.
Affiliations: {TALOS}
Posts Rated Helpful 75 Times
Rook, love this script... its been running flawlessly on my server since its launch.. question tho..

How would i go about editing it so forced ovd can be enabled / disabled mid round? Can lua scripts listen for chat "!commands" or listen for commands from the sourcemod menu?

I alse have all of my class limits set in the force ovd script and would like to be able to adjust those values mid game via a command.

Thanks
-Suzy
Fat-Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

You can make Chat commands with the player_onchat function
Here's a basic example.

Code:
function player_onchat( player, chatstring )

local player = CastToPlayer( player )

-- string.gsub call removes all control characters (newlines, return carriages, etc)
	-- string.sub call removes the playername: part of the string, leaving just the message
	local message = string.sub( string.gsub( chatstring, "%c", "" ), string.len(player:GetName())+3 )

if Message == "/Hello" then
		ChatToAll("HELLO!")
		return false  -- Doesnt actually send the message to chat but still uses the command.
	end

return true -- Allows players to still chat normally
end
And here is the (almost nothing) Wiki: http://www.fortress-forever.com/wiki...=Player_onchat

Last edited by R00Kie; 07-21-2015 at 10:35 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #30
Fat-Suzy
Server Owner

Class/Position: Engineer / Heavy.
Affiliations: {TALOS}
Posts Rated Helpful 75 Times
thanks rookie! ill have a play with this function, im sure i can make something work..
Fat-Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote