Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #321
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I don't think the boxes would be a bad addition, put them in an organized yet disorganized fashion. Like having them set up with multiple type of boxes, crates and whatever yet place them where they can be used as SG positions or fatty camping spots.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #322
dr.flexyjerkov

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New updates, (Not much but just been playing around with the layout)

Flagroom Shots:

Facing Engineer Camping Spot... (Like monkey)

Ceiling with cliff face outside grate (Still working on lighting for the cliff.

View from the flag location.

Direct on at the flag location (Soon to be a window outside)

Enjoy...
dr.flexyjerkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #323
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'd like to see some variation in the floor but other than that it looks really good.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #324
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
I'm with Circ. Love the first shots, though the last seems a bit plain and the trim texture on the window looks a little off. Very exciting. Great work overall! I dig the column and multi-level combat area.
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #325
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I would like to see some variation as well, maybe lift the flag off the ground some?
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #326
dr.flexyjerkov

Ok more updates soon!... I've just been reading up on using hints and the reasons for func_detail and been re doing all the the flag room using hints on the doors and func_detail on the pillars etc... This has increased the speeds of the flag room a little now and i hope to be making improvements all around.

Soon to start work on the under water route and linking between water route to flag room. So far it does look quite crappy but I'm sure it'll improve.

Also working on redoing other sections of the map as since I've changed the flag room the rest of the map looks slightly out of place with the minimal amount of detail so far but i will work on it all in good time.

Another thing ill be working on is custom textures. (NO it wont look like a bathroom)

Will probably get more screen shots up by Monday.

Quote:
I would like to see some variation as well, maybe lift the flag off the ground some?
^^^ May add some sort of ramped area on the flag point but i have the issue with the low roof above flag. I will sort something out though.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #327
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
what's above the flag?
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #328
dr.flexyjerkov

Well if you look in picture 3 and look up you can see a low ceiling on that area. I put it like that so its slightly harder to get the flag and it adds to the layout. Personally i like it and think it will make it a little harder to get to the flag.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #329
dr.flexyjerkov

Been working on some new layout ideas for the roof of the ramp room. May upload some pictures once i'm happy. It seems i make one bit really good then the rest of the map needs updating to look similar :P. will upload later in the week hopefully.

Maybe bank holiday monday when i bum around at home...

Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #330
dr.flexyjerkov

A few more updated images, Mainly changed ramp room + textures.

Still working on view from outside grate in ramp room

High Res images (Sorry didnt resize)

Ramp Room

Ramp Room (Lower)

Upper Ramp Room

Old 05-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #331
own3r
Custom mapper

Why is it important to make it hard to get the flag?

Anyway its looking good I like the new look, some connection with grass and cliffs inside the base would be great to see as well. Courtyards or caves leading to the outside are two ways of doing this.

Layered texturing is another idea which has come to me, so 1 texture at the bottom level's walls and other for the middle and top or something along those lines would be fab. Keep up the good work.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #332
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I would fix the yellow cast as it doesn't look really good tbh.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #333
dr.flexyjerkov

Ok guys, you may think i'm crazy but its the second time i've done this...

Going to remake the map from the current layout but make it so all the textures fit into place correctly as the floor for one is not 32 x 32 etc, and none of the block floor textures fit right. Seeing as its for FF, many people will be looking for detail so i'm going to rework on the whole map and get it up to scratch :P.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #334
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov

Going to remake the map from the current layout but make it so all the textures fit into place correctly as the floor for one is not 32 x 32 etc, and none of the block floor textures fit right. Seeing as its for FF, many people will be looking for detail so i'm going to rework on the whole map and get it up to scratch :P.
Thats very rash, im not sure its needed either you simply need to add a more distinctive theme and add some detail in that theme. Add some arches in rooms add lighting between vertical supports in rooms that kind of thing is not difficult its just hard to see where it should all go sometimes

If you would like I might be able to help you out, PM me if you like.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #335
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov

If blocks dont tile add trim until they do.
BumGravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #336
dr.flexyjerkov

if you seen it, ull do the same, Im already almost finished on flagroom, its not taking long at all as all im really doing is copying current layout but using a 32x32 boxes as guidelines

Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #337
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Well, atleast you have a lot of determination. If I had that much progress done on a map I dont know if I could start from stratch.
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #338
own3r
Custom mapper

TBH mapping requires an extreme amount of patience I must have gone through 100's of maps I have designed and about 20 revisions of each none have got as far as I have with Mach2 its nice to have something your happy with.

I have gone through 3 total redesigns with Mach each time It has got better so its worth the work if you constantly improve things.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #339
dr.flexyjerkov

Ok, finally done the flagroom but it now seems abit short for my liking so i maybe increasing the size of it when i get home from work. Going to work on Ramp section and Ent to flag room tonight. Finally I'm making some progress and its only taken a year... :P
Going to attempt to make rounded corners tonight using disp edit .
The main reason for redoing the map was to increase its playing speed and make sure textures fit.

(To my luck once again though certain textures don't fit perfectly as the large tiles are 64x64 but ah well, its a lot tidier...

Also seeing as i realized displacements are like virtually none lag whores I'm going to make the map in the rocks. so outside will all be underground with vents to see the light from outside. (Well thats the plan...) (A good example is the underground section on totalwar)

Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #340
dr.flexyjerkov

Just finished the layout of the flag room with new lighting (White/Flourecent) have also got the sky working correctly with a nice sunny glow around the flagroom.
Rock faces coming along nicely from outside ceiling. Next section is the ramp areas... :O