Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #41
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
So main problem of dev team is lack of resources, to do a faster job and implement more stuff, but you guys dont want to recruit any random dude with no proven work or experties or that have a meh atitude thats a legit point of view, thats why i say do a sub forum with a cheklist of stuff that the community could do.

Theres a lot of dudes that would gladly do a litle of work to help it out, but we need to know what is needed.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #42
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Money makes everyone motivated.
Actually even THAT doesn't work for everyone. I've had someone assisting me with animation work on a video where a company was involved and they offered to pay him several hundred for basically a couple days work. He ended up flaking out completely, probably getting drunk.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #43
Born_In_Xixax

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
One of the main requirements for a successful software project is a competent manager. A band of hot-shot coders without organization and management is the Mighty Ducks before Gordan Bombay. Crowd-sourcing your project is a nice idea, and it's all well and good to have a hundred small tasks that the wider community could help with (write some documentation, update release notes, make a tutorial video, etc.) but it takes work and time just to know about and list that stuff, much less train each person on the tools and requirements, conventions, testing, debugging, going back for fixes, merging code and work units, etc.

It's boring, draining, people-handling and thankless work. Some developers don't mind it, a few freaks actually like it, and a rare few overachievers, like it and are good at it.

Not sure FF has that guy right now.
Born_In_Xixax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anotherbridgetsuggestion, threadsffdevignores