Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Costs etc. associated with a server?

I am thinking about setting up a FF server, 22 slots (24 when the game supports it ofc).

What would the associated costs with it be? I know there are sites where I could just get a server already set up for FF, but I know a bit about working with servers and the Internets so I think I could do it myself.

What do I need to run a server? I already have an account open with GoDaddy, so keeping things in context of that site would be helpful.

And how exactly does one set it up? I have never actually ran a game server before (aside from starting one using my computer via the dedicated server tool).

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
barronofhellion

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
id' also take a look at some admin mods... god knows we all need voting (esp votekick)
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

I'm not sure about any servers related to godaddy.

But in case you might be interested, i have some friends who have a dod server from http://mammothgames.com/policies_payment.htm

And i think they run source games now. Click on the "buy here" to get the prices for slots.

Also, i think the server is done sort of like ftp, a little bit. So after they install your game onto the server and once you have files that you want to upload/change such as plugins, you make the necessary changes then upload the file/plugins to their respective directories, and restart the server from the control panel on their website. I think the setup is similar to the hlds server from your computer. Not the listen server, but the dedicated server.

They have a fairly good support system from what i've been told, and respond within 1~2 days most times.

Hope that helps.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Doompiggy
Banned

I just got 2 servers for FF. One from www.RaptorServers.com and the newest one(today) from www.gameservers.com

Gameservers: 22 slot public - $32.95 + tax
Gameservers: 22 slot private - $21.95 + tax
Their servers are ok, but they could be better.

Raptorservers: 20 slot server - $25.00 + tax
If you get it from here then submit a support ticket asking them to make the server an FF server. These servers are better than Gameservers, but I don't like how they do somethings.

Hope that helps
Doompiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Does anyone run their own servers anymore? lol

I would prefer not to have to go the route of using a third party company to run my server if I can - I would prefer to manage the files and stuff myself. I just do not know how to do it. ):

Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi

I would prefer not to have to go the route of using a third party company to run my server if I can - I would prefer to manage the files and stuff myself. I just do not know how to do it. ):
There is colocation where you would supply the server to a hosting company in which they put it in the rack such as a 1u server and you would have everything installed before hand to access it such as remote desktop, games, ftp access etc.. You would pay for bandwidth and rental for the rack space.

Or

Rent a dedicated server for a monthly fee. such as http://steadfast.net/

It can be expensive either way.
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Boogieman117
FF Server Op / Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to Boogieman117 Send a message via AIM to Boogieman117 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman117 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman117
Quote:

I run my server from home from my LAN and it's just port-forwarded, so I definitely have control of my machine. For a 1.5GHz Celeron / 512 PC2100 RAM / decent cable connection, it plays 10-12 people nicely but I can't tell if it's the network or my machine choking. Kanadwen helped me build it.

If you're looking for a simple admin tool (with votekick), look at Basic Admin Tool, the metamod plugin.
Boogieman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
GhOsT

Quote:

Most people don't have access to a suitable connection and a machine to run the game with that connection. As someone else said, you can go the colocation route, but that is going to be more expensive. The cheapest way to getting a quality server that can actually handle 22 people is to go with a server hosting company.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Well thing is (as I have said) I have an account already established with GoDaddy.

Looking at prices though I might end up going with an external service... bah. So, how do these things work? You ask them to set up a box for you, they do it, and then you have FTP access to the thing? I assume it is cheaper this way?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Well thing is (as I have said) I have an account already established with GoDaddy.
You can't run a gameserver on godaddy

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
GhOsT

Quote:

Looking at prices though I might end up going with an external service... bah. So, how do these things work? You ask them to set up a box for you, they do it, and then you have FTP access to the thing? I assume it is cheaper this way?
With most game server hosting companies that is the case. Most have some sort of web control panel where you can start/stop/restart your server. You can upload maps, configs, etc via ftp.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:

Sure. If you have a fairly decent upload speed, then i think you can run FF on your computer.

But it probably will need to be a bit powerful, may be core duo-ish cpus to keep the server running smoothly w/o that sudden lag spike.

The server would almost be like your ds-tool made server, except you'd be using other programs instead of through steam.

The sticky on the server forum is a good starting place.

I think that's what you mean right?
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Sure. If you have a fairly decent upload speed, then i think you can run FF on your computer.

But it probably will need to be a bit powerful, may be core duo-ish cpus to keep the server running smoothly w/o that sudden lag spike.

The server would almost be like your ds-tool made server, except you'd be using other programs instead of through steam.

The sticky on the server forum is a good starting place.

I think that's what you mean right?
No, I meant using the box I already have with GoDaddy. Virtual Dedicated Server, tons of bandwidth and the like.

Why is it that I can not install the FF server on there and run it off of that? I would have 100GB disk space and I would have 1,000 GB of bandwidth a month. I am missing something here?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
Boogieman117
FF Server Op / Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to Boogieman117 Send a message via AIM to Boogieman117 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman117 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman117
Quote:
No, I meant using the box I already have with GoDaddy. Virtual Dedicated Server, tons of bandwidth and the like.

Why is it that I can not install the FF server on there and run it off of that? I would have 100GB disk space and I would have 1,000 GB of bandwidth a month. I am missing something here?
I would check with GoDaddy to make sure that the server you want isn't locked to web-server only mode. Call them and tell them what you want to do and ask them if it is possible.
Boogieman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
GhOsT

Quote:

Well, you didn't say that was the type of server you had. Looking at the faq they say you can isntall whatever you want on it so you could try setting it up there. Go to www.srcds.com and look at the guides they have there for setting one up.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
barronofhellion

well i might host a server for a week or something off my spare pc (3.6 p4) to host my map when its done god knows it doesn't do much now but render things that take forever, it will be a blessing when its time to compile the map though, it sucks being without a pc lol
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Well, you didn't say that was the type of server you had. Looking at the faq they say you can isntall whatever you want on it so you could try setting it up there. Go to www.srcds.com and look at the guides they have there for setting one up.
Thanks, I will give it a shot as soon as I get my account set up.

If not, I can always upgrade. That is the great thing about GoDaddy. If I am on a plan that charges me $4 a month and I pay for a year, it costs me $8 for the year. If I need MOAR POWA and I want to upgrade to a $7 a year plan and three months have passed, I would just get charged $27 to upgrade ($7 - $4 I already paid = $3 x 9 remaining months).

So if the plan I have picked out is not enough, I can upgrade. Maybe I can run a low playerslot server until I have the cash or something ololol. d:

Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Okay, so I looked into sites like GameServers. They have this issue where their game servers do not have MySQL on them, and I will be running a plugin that requires MySQL on the game server. If I want the plugin (and I do), it looks like I will have to get a dedicated server from a company and do it that way.

So, how much bandwidth does a server use per player roughly at 33 tickrate? Moreover, is there anything else I need to check with a company before I go ahead and get the server? Like if I have x amount of bandwidth a month, are there any catches like how much data is allowed to go through at one time?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Okay, so I looked into sites like GameServers. They have this issue where their game servers do not have MySQL on them, and I will be running a plugin that requires MySQL on the game server. If I want the plugin (and I do), it looks like I will have to get a dedicated server from a company and do it that way.

So, how much bandwidth does a server use per player roughly at 33 tickrate? Moreover, is there anything else I need to check with a company before I go ahead and get the server? Like if I have x amount of bandwidth a month, are there any catches like how much data is allowed to go through at one time?
Addons that use mysql require a remote website that supports mysql. Not the game server. One addon that comes to mind is http://www.sourcebans.net/

Old 10-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedbean
Addons that use mysql require a remote website that supports mysql. Not the game server. One addon that comes to mind is http://www.sourcebans.net/
Meaning I would need a web server in addition to the game server, right?

I am already getting a web server. I used to have one, but I lost my account due to a bank screwup (they processed a deposit to my checking account two days late). I am going to have a web server along with the game server.

Basically to run a MySQL based plugin, I would need MySQL on the webserver and the game server, correct?