Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO-BELL
- Knowingly spread fake rumours about people hacking along with Skanky Butterpuss
wha? clearly whoever you are getting your information from is wrong. only rumor i ever helped spread was kbn disbanding (and that was funny). i have called you a douche (and probably numerous other things) on several occasions based on your conduct in-game and on the forums, and i stand by that, but i dont recall spreading any rumors.

both you and mushy need to knock off the bullshit right now. take it to PMs, this isnt the place to air your rivalries.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #82
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Thank you, totally agree with you on this. Somehow the rotten apples rose to the top in the FF world and totally took the game in the wrong direction, mostly by trying to get everyone into some sort of pompous elitest pickup / clan community and crapping on the entire pub community that made up 90% of the playerbase- who consequently all stopped playing the mod. All the wrong people got listened to, and the game went right down the drain very quickly after 2.0.
I don't know anything about "rotten apples" and I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the the FF devs were only trying to improve the game. The problem is in 2.0, the direction seemed to be taken towards CTF pubbing, which I don't think satisfied many people. A lot of the FF community seems to be focused either on serious clanstyle games, or "fun map" pubbing. 2.0 didn't seem to appeal much to either. Things like speed increases, pyro hovering, and jumppads were fun, but they broke a lot of gameplay in the process.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #83
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
I don't know anything about "rotten apples" and I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the the FF devs were only trying to improve the game. The problem is in 2.0, the direction seemed to be taken towards CTF pubbing, which I don't think satisfied many people. A lot of the FF community seems to be focused either on serious clanstyle games, or "fun map" pubbing. 2.0 didn't seem to appeal much to either. Things like speed increases, pyro hovering, and jumppads were fun, but they broke a lot of gameplay in the process.
That's because it's the gametype played most often in pubs. The only AvD map I've seen played on pubs is Palermo, and even then people complain about it by the time one team caps all of the points.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #84
WetWired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirohito
That's because it's the gametype played most often in pubs. The only AvD map I've seen played on pubs is Palermo, and even then people complain about it by the time one team caps all of the points.
You haven't been to my pub then. I have palmero, dustbowl, cz2 and murderball. I'm going against the grain and having a healthy mix of both AvD and CTF maps on my server.
WetWired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #85
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Quote:
That's because it's the gametype played most often in pubs. The only AvD map I've seen played on pubs is Palermo
This says to me you don't play much in pubs. Most of the popular servers have a rotation of common maps, which includes AvD. The problem is there's at least a 10 to 1 ratio of CTF to AvD maps available for FF, so guess which gets played more?

People are going to play wherever there are other players, which is commonly just one or two servers, so it's dependent on whatever they're running. I'm sure if there was a server running dustbowl, warpath, avanti, and murderball that was backed by a clan it would get a lot of action too.

Quote:
and even then people complain about it by the time one team caps all of the points.
That's pretty much the case with most AvD maps since the 2.0 release.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #86
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Usually if there's only 5 people in a pub who are (mostly) new to the game, they don't all go on O except for one D. What they do is start to DM. Frankly I think DMing is the best part of the game. TF, as I see it, is the pinnacle of play control in games so getting in an actual fight against another player is one of the most fun things possible in a video game.

If I had a problem with the direction in FF, it'd be that there's too much emphasis on the 'goals'. When I played TFC, I treated it like a sand box experience. If I felt like stabbing some snipers, I'd spend a half hour camping the enemy battlements on 2fort, or maybe I'd feel like seeing how long I could survive in well as a pyro in the enemy base. Or sometimes I'd go for the flag. This is still all possible in FF, of course, but the extra emphasis on getting the flag means an emphasis on more speed which encourages players to run/conc/bhop past other people more often. Come to think of it, when I put it like that maybe the skim cap isn't such a bad idea.

Anyway, you're not an 'o-sniper' if you don't touch the flag!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #87
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Exactly, there is currently few or no places for new players to just play around. Either they are immediatly thrown into the O v D fests or they just quit because they don't know wth is going on and everybody is yelling at them. A few sandbox servers would probably be the best way for people to get to know the game. It allows them to explore the game, classes and weapons without anyone shouting how they should play or what they're doing 'wrong'.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #88
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
...the only OvD server out there right now is FFSchool.org. No clue what you're talking about v3rtigo. "Either they are immediatly thrown into the O v D fests or they just quit because they don't know wth is going on and everybody is yelling at them" That hasn't been my experience in the slightest.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #89
WetWired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
...the only OvD server out there right now is FFSchool.org. No clue what you're talking about v3rtigo. "Either they are immediatly thrown into the O v D fests or they just quit because they don't know wth is going on and everybody is yelling at them" That hasn't been my experience in the slightest.
It's been mine. If a couple of people in the server have desided they want to do OvD, and everyone else doesn't comply, they bitch and moan until they do, or until the leave. If someone is playing a class, say a heavy, and trying to cap the flag with it, they get the same treatment.

"WTF do we have a heavy on our team for!?"

And it'll go on and on until the person finally just leaves because they're sick of being bitched at.
WetWired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #90
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Quote:
Usually if there's only 5 people in a pub who are (mostly) new to the game, they don't all go on O except for one D. What they do is start to DM. Frankly I think DMing is the best part of the game. TF, as I see it, is the pinnacle of play control in games so getting in an actual fight against another player is one of the most fun things possible in a video game.
This is what I love about AvD. Random DM'ing still helps your team, whereas more experienced players can work on objectives. Whether you're new or skilled, it's all good. Plus you get to the action a lot faster because of the constant push and cap points

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #91
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience in the slightest.
Are you a newb? If not, have you ever seen one in an O v D or clanstyle server? How do people generally react when he is doing something 'wrong'? Now compare that reaction to a random pub where everybody is doing whatever they please. Actually he can't do anything 'wrong' there unless it breaks the server rules.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #92
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
he is saying on the ffschool.org ovd server it isn't like that, we actually try and help people.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #93
Jifcuits

Wow an FF school, that pretty much sums up all that is wrong with the game.
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #94
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Heh, I agree with that and I wish more people would see it this way so things could move in a new direction. This game needs to be easier, more accessible and more fun from the get go.

Some work has been done in that direction with waterpolo. This map is about pure and simple fun and it's pretty much the most popular map when we do playtests. I think we need more maps like this.

That's why I'm working on ff_fatties, it's another map with a simple, fun and unique gameplay. You don't need to teach people to play it correctly and you certainly don't need years of experience to be able to keep up with the most experienced players.

I know alot of people involved with this mod think that it's great as is and the reason why the playerbase is this small is because people aren't willing to spend the time learning to play the game and mastering skills, etc... basically they think it's the players fault for not trying hard enough to understand the deepness of the game... I couldn't disagree more with that.

Anyways, I could go on forever on that subject but I don't wanna waste my time either so I'll just say this: imo FF needs to be more accessible and by that I mean easier to play and enjoy. I've played TFC since 2000 and been in top clans and was a really good soldier at one point just so you know, and right now I can't play soldier in FF for shit. It's just too hard. If I can't play solly for shit, imagine a newbie who can't bhop and rj like I can. He's not going to feel rewarded in any way and will probably just quit trying pretty fast. There has to be a way to level the playing field without cutting in the deepness of the game. First thing I would look into is the actual speed of people moving. Having things around you move a little bit slower would make the game so much more accessible and wouldn't take away much deepness imo.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #95
ovdbs

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Quote:

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ire0000iu2.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ire0002cl0.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ire0003ze6.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ire0004jx3.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ire0005on0.jpg

its an every night ordeal
ovdbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #96
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Bleh... there are a couple of things which force that sort of stuff to happen. Oh well. Hopefully that sort of stuff will stop once there are some populated OvD servers that people can scuttle off to.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #97
AaronJer
Bearskinner

Gametype: Double Mode
My every night ordeal is trying to find a server with people in it... hasn't happened in well over a month. But I'm not giving up! I'm really good at this game and I don't want to waste the time I've spent improving my TF skills by playing other games! Actually, I'm not all that sure I'm good at this game because I've only managed to find servers with people in them like 3 times.
AaronJer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #98
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJer
My every night ordeal is trying to find a server with people in it... hasn't happened in well over a month. But I'm not giving up! I'm really good at this game and I don't want to waste the time I've spent improving my TF skills by playing other games! Actually, I'm not all that sure I'm good at this game because I've only managed to find servers with people in them like 3 times.
When in the world do you look? There is always at least one server populated unless you're a confused vampire.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #99
AaronJer
Bearskinner

Gametype: Double Mode
I finally just found one an hour ago... FINALLY. Ahh... that was nice. Nothing beats soldiering around, soldiering it up. I'm glad I'm apparently still good, as my score was violently at the top of the team.
AaronJer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #100
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJer
I finally just found one an hour ago... FINALLY. Ahh... that was nice. Nothing beats soldiering around, soldiering it up. I'm glad I'm apparently still good, as my score was violently at the top of the team.
You do realize it's either 3:00 AM on the west coast or 6:00 AM on the east? Who would be playing at this time of the night/dawn?

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington