Stayne posted an new interview on cats.
Nice one
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #443
Evil_T0NY

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL Doc
I'm pissed with valve about making tf2 cartoony. Any thoughts?
I am kind of late (and new here) to the FF forums....I am personally getting this game BECAUSE it is cartoony, it's original, it reminds me of certain games I used to play on the Sega Genisis, a certain game called "Earthworm Jim"

Yep, I liked laughing AND playing video games at the same time! This game reminds me of the same style as EWJ.

Anyone remember EWJ?

Now we got a little humor in an FPS, rather than the same redundant FPS's we've' been playing.

Thank heavens for the originality. We need something LESS serious once in a while anyways.

Oh, and I never played the original, so that's niether here nor there.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #444
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Of course. Everyone remember's Earthworm Jim, but I'm not exactly sure how it reminded you of that. :-p
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #445
tu!

Question 5
Stayne: Will there be bunny-hop or air control/acceleration in TF2? HL2 has the capability for bunny-hop. Will it remain the same for TF2 or will there be strict limits on player speed (a la Counter-Strike)? This is important as movement speed and agility is an incredibly important part of TF gameplay (as you know in creating the new Scout).

Robin: Players ground movement speed is clamped to their class speed. In the air, players have air control and speed isn't clamped. In the case of the Scout, we increased his base movement speed higher than that of TFCs to account for the clamping of strafe running (i.e. he's now moves as if he was strafe running all the time).

AND

Question 8
Stayne: Will respawn-delay, kill-cam, and some of the other new additions be adjustable via server cvars?

Robin: We're still working on a better method for servers to modify rules, and having that communicated to players who are looking for specific rulesets. (i.e. how do players who want faster respawn times find servers with them?) Once we've got that figured out we should know what modifiable rules will be there. Our concern is ensuring that players find the game they're looking for, and to know when they're on a server with modified rules.

IF THESE 2 THINGS ARE TRUE, TF2 is looking a lot better.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #446
Evil_T0NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
Of course. Everyone remember's Earthworm Jim, but I'm not exactly sure how it reminded you of that. :-p
Well, that's the first thing that popped into my head actually. lol. Same style of humor as EWJ.

I wonder if there's a button you can push for "smack-talking" (like in the old Delta Force FPS games)

Oh, and I remember Bad News Baseball, for the NES, I didn't like the "Seriousness" of typical sports games, but I loved it

These are what I call "Novelty" games....those are my favorite kind of games.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #447
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!

Question 8
Stayne: Will respawn-delay, kill-cam, and some of the other new additions be adjustable via server cvars?

Robin: We're still working on a better method for servers to modify rules, and having that communicated to players who are looking for specific rulesets. (i.e. how do players who want faster respawn times find servers with them?) Once we've got that figured out we should know what modifiable rules will be there. Our concern is ensuring that players find the game they're looking for, and to know when they're on a server with modified rules.

IF THESE 2 THINGS ARE TRUE, TF2 is looking a lot better.
Seriously, anyone who thought that you would not be able to change those settings in TF2 was just baing naive and spreading FUD.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #448
Roady

The first thing i thought of when the HW guy was talking was, i wonder if while talking in game the models mouth will move with more clarity as if you could in effect read their lips or lip-sync by deciphering syllables, tones, pronunciation etc. Even if it weren't very refined it would still be cool.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #449
Serik

IGN has new TF2 screens plus a preview article that focuses on the classes:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/01...0&RSSid=791432

http://pc.ign.com/articles/791/79143...0&RSSid=791434

Edit: This sounds awesome

Quote:
To your allies, the Spy looks like his regular self, but with a cardboard cut-out mask of his disguised role. And all the while he continues to smoke his thing cigarette. Brilliant.
The Spy can also fire weapons while disguised and appear to be hurting his teammates.

Last edited by Serik; 05-24-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #450
Norris
The Good German

Quote:
The Pyro is the perfect class for sadistic gamers -- the kind who like to cackle every time they kill an opponent. Setting fire to the cartoony characters of Team Fortress 2 is one of the more satisfying experiences in Valve's new multiplayer title.
nice article
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #451
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
hmmm..

from what I read about the scout, it sounds like the doublejump is the only real air control.... but hopefully thats just IGNs ignorance of how things are.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #452
Serik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
hmmm..

from what I read about the scout, it sounds like the doublejump is the only real air control.... but hopefully thats just IGNs ignorance of how things are.
Ya, it's a shame that we can't get a full-blown preview written by a real TF fan. Valve let a Left4Dead fansite play the game and the resulting preview was amazingly detailed -- exactly what the players wanted. Contrast this with IGN's articles, which are half-assed crap written by someone who's played 10 mins of 2fort in their whole life
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #453
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

If they in fact did do that for Left4Dead, it makes you wonder why they indeed wouldn't do the same for TF2.

Why keep it out of the hands of those who would judge it with bias and foreknowledge?

Oh wait...
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #454
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
hmmm..

A double-jump with a change of direction is not the same as air-control....lol. There's also normal air control on top of it.

It definitely seems more robust that UT's double jump, which was a pretty good gameplay element overall.
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #455
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
We don't know that air control is working like normal for sure though. Hasn't been in any of the footage released, anyway.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #456
t00l

Quote:
The true effectiveness of the Demoman is in holding down areas. Sticky grenades can be laid out as thick as carpet around a base or checkpoint. Either the enemy will stumble into the glowing grenades or you can detonate manually.
?! Does this mean proximty mines?
t00l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #457
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Sticky bombs. Sticky... proximity mines. With detonators.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #458
Fail

Yeah...that Left4Dead thing really ain't the same. Left4Dead isn't a sequel to anything.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #459
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
We don't know that air control is working like normal for sure though. Hasn't been in any of the footage released, anyway.
Oh, I thought air control had been confirmed in the Catacombs interview? I may be mistaken.
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #460
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
We haven't seen it is what I meant, sorry. It's possible there may be air control but in order to effectively do it, you have to press a dif direction w/the scouts double jump or whatever, otherwise it's much less effective than TFC, say. That's what I meant anyway. Came across wrong.

And yea wtf the sticky bombs det on touch? Hmm..
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote