Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
noeffeks
Waiting for Warpath

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Box rental

So.

I'm looking to goto a server box for my server needs. I'm looking to be able to run 2 FF servers both 20 mans. As well as a low traffic website and fastDL's.

What should i be looking at hardware wise. I'm noob X 10 to servers so this is going to be a complete learning experience for me. I dont want links to websites that will rent me a box... i just want specs. I might do this myself. I dunno. time will tell.
noeffeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Well you need a box in a data center because you need the fast speeds to run the servers. At least 1 gig of ram (given the server is Win XP or 2k3). More processor power the better. Go Pentium rather then AMD.

As for fast download, must people use fast download off a different box, but if you're running the website off the same box, you can give it a try.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
This is a copy of a pm correspondence I had with Scuzzy about hosting both Fast DL website and servers on one box. I was thionking about doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
Hey Scuzzy AE is considering getting a dedicated server but I'm not to sure about the bandwith used and a decent provider.

Now we want to be able to host about 5 server's (just three right now but I want the ability to expand ), website and forums, a Fast DL server, and filr hosting.

I'm guessing three popular servers and file hosting will be pretty close to a terabyte.
We're currently running one TFC, one TF2, and two FF servers, our TeamSpeak server, and some perl scripting utilities all on one box. It's 1 gig of transfer and I don't believe we've ever even come close to using that in a month.

We host the forums and fast downloads off on a regular website for a few reasons. First, queries to websites can cause lag (we tried this a while back and found the occasional blimp too annoying). The fast-downloads would really take a chunk out of your bandwidth and cause lag (first hand experience). A webhost is really cheap and can usually deal with the extra bandwidth of fast downloads (but don't tell them you're going to do that) I would highly suggest putting the forums and fastdownloads off the server box. 22 people all downloading a new map from your box is going to cause significant lag acrossed all 5 of your servers.

Scuzzy

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Dinosaur Gas
www.tfcgaschamber.com

Gametype: TFC
Affiliations: -CLT-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Dinosaur Gas Send a message via AIM to Dinosaur Gas Send a message via Yahoo to Dinosaur Gas
I run 10 servers, mysql & fast downloads on my core2quad. I have 1500 GB allotted each month. TF2 is a bandwidth hog and uses up a good portion of that.

I got a really good deal with my host. Talk to me and I will hook you up with them.

Dinosaur Gas is offline   Reply With Quote