Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

View Poll Results: What are your favourite CS games?
CS 1.6 5 55.56%
CS: Condition Zero 1 11.11%
CS: Source 2 22.22%
CS: Global Offensive - but only Classic modes 1 11.11%
CS: Global Offensive 3 33.33%
What's a CS? 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Counter-Strike

I realise there's older threads of CS, but none of them have anything about CS:GO on them, and, seeing as the Arms Deal update came out recently, and the Workshop Workbench was made too.

The first time I played a CS game, was the CS:GO free weekend about a year ago. But, I found a spare £20, and bought all the CS games for £17. Pretty good to say CS:GO costs £13 and CS:S costs £14. I decided to play through them all, in order of when they were released.

So, first up was CS 1.6. First I was a little weirded out by the lack of bots, then I got annoyed because I thought you could bunnyhop in CS and you can't, and then I got raped by people who can actually play the game. I was very surprised to see 400 players when I went on, though.

Next was CS:CZ. The addition of bots, (and the funny voice pitch based on bot difficulty) is cool, and the singleplayer campaign, which forces you to use certain weapons on maps, and to manage the bots correctly, is awesome. In fact, I'm still working on converting the default campaign to Terrorists, as you only play CT in it. Kinda breaks Lunatic (I believe), who is a T bot who will only purchase .40 Dual Elites, as they are known in old CS names. (He works by trying to purchase an M4A1 - which he can't - and then purchasing said Dual Elites - causing his preferred weapon image to be blank. So yeah CS:CZ is awesome.

Next up is CS:CZS, a game that was going to be CS:CZ, but it got bad reviews (what do you expect from a game that plays like CoD, yet has no objective markers and you do nothing but get lost and easily kill people). It sucks. Moving on...

CS:S, my friends' favourite CS. The first thing I notice, is that the spread on all of the guns is about halved. Which makes the game feel like you're actually playing it. Rather than aiming for that perfect shot to the head to swerve miles to the left, kill a teammate, and for you to be auto-killed next round for being an idiot. The next thing I notice, is that none of these games can be played casual competitive like CS:GO, because it doesn't have any form of team switching apart from shuffling. No switching for 10 rounds, and not to mention there's no real player limit. (apart from the problem with people spawning inside one another with more than 20 per team).
I find it easy to map for CS:S too. You just need to remember the grid method or the 2 route method.

Now, onto CS:GO. I'll talk about Arms Deal last. CS:GO is the only one with more than '1' gamemode. (Counting de_ and cs_ as the same thing.) The first thing to note about playing CS:GO in true CS mode, is that you don't use the server browser. It uses matchmaking, incredibly similar to DotA 2. Then you'll notice that you play 15 rounds on each side (with a mercy rule). Then you'll see the new weapons.
So, the weapons all have real world names, now. Dual Berettas can be purchased by CTs. A lot of weapons have a different model and name, but act exactly the same. There's the Tec-9, the Sawed-Off shotgun, the MAG-7, the Negev, firebombs, decoy grenades, the fact you carry hostages after untying them, and the kill rewarding based on your weapon (generally $300, apart from an AWP's $150 reward)...
So now, the new modes. Casual is the same as Competitive (normal CS), except you start with defusers and kevlar and helmet. However, there are only 15 rounds, there's any time matchmaking (you join games in progress), you soft-collide with your team, you only deal 50% damage to teammates, and teams don't switch halfway.
Demolition is on maps with only one bomb site (always bomb site), and there is no buy menu. Instead, everyone has a defuser and armor & helm, and you progress through weapons by getting kills. Multiple kills in a round gets you grenades. 20 rounds, swap teams halfway (and reset weapons), and same as Casual for everything else. Arms Race is Gun Game. That's it. There's 3 maps (Monastery is best as it's not boring symmetrical), and, yeah. Fun.
Deathmatch is a strange one. You choose your weapons every spawn, and better weapons get you less points (up to 20 for a knife kill). You spawn instantly, and can choose weapons and are invulnerable for 10 seconds or until you move. However, every 2 minutes or so, a weapon has bonus points for 30 seconds. Pressing 'g' respawns you with this weapon. Oh, and killing chickens which have invaded the whole world gets you 1 point.

Nearly forgot. The awesomest thing is that you can control bots if you die.

Arms Deal is the update that added the option to use the classic CS CT guns with the silencer adding/removing, and the one that added skin drops. And crates. And keys. And Stranges. Sorry, StatTraks. And Steam Workshop for gun skins, which could be added to the game. It's OK. I doesn't really change CS:GO that much.

Personally, I prefer CS:GO for it's Demolition and Arms Race casual modes, but CS:S for actual CS gameplay.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Brass
BABIES!

Class/Position: O
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [FPS]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via MSN to Brass
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post

...then I got annoyed because I thought you could bunnyhop in CS and you can't

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
ddm999
worst ff player eu

I am pro i totally didn't talk out my arse in this message before... shuddup

Last edited by ddm999; 12-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yeah you can, it's just difficult and most people use a script for it or bind jump to their mouse scroll wheel. There is a very small margin of error though so once you barely miss your bhop, it will mess you up.

I vote in favor of CS 1.6. It's hands down the best and CS:GO is the next best.

You forgot to add CS Pro Mod which is basically like Source but with all the mechanics from 1.6. It's the best of both worlds and had it been perfected years ago instead of semi-recently, it would be the CS mod of choice today.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 11-27-2013 at 11:16 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
And it's not like you can tell they are using modded servers that get rid of the fact you get horribly slowed down when jumping. I meant you can't bhop in VANILLA CS.
Wow. Many assumpshun. Much wrong.

*doge picture 2lazy2post*

Old 11-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Honestly 1.6 is the only one I can stand. CSS fails for the giant headshot hitbox to compensate for engine problems that only makes things worse. And CSGO for the knee-jerk overnerfing of ARs. I feel like there's too much of that in game design in general; people complain about something (hitreg, and spray respectively) and the devs respond by swinging the pendulum in the other direction, so now there is a new problem that is the opposite of the first one. Moderation and fine tuning is the key. All it would really take is some playtesting from a handful of decent players who can translate resultant gameplay into what needs tweaking.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Srsly? ARs are fine, I get kills with the AK, FAMAS, M4A1-S all the time.

How did doge cheat himself the wrong player model for de_nuke anyway?

And I'm pretty sure the many CS:GO eSports players would tell Valve if something seemed a little off. Fun to see all their weapon skins too. (Sure, some have the Fire Dragon - or whtever - AK, but at least they don't have the StatTrak version (Regular is worth £40 - $60ish, StatTrak is £200 - $300ish (rough estimates with $1=£0.66))).

I find CS 1.6 to have too much weapon spread. Seriously, it's like luck rather than skill.

Also, I somehow never posted what I was going to say which is:
Quote:
But it's pretty clear from the fact you are slowed down is that they tried to PREVENT bhopping. It's blatantly not supposed to work. I see no reason in doing something in a multiplayer game that you shouldn't. (why do people shoot that wall near B on dust2, anyway? what are they trying to achieve?)
Who the fuck calls it a Desert Eagle, anyway? It's a Deagle, brah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some douche
assume makes an ass out of you and me

Last edited by ddm999; 11-28-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

I definitely like some of the newer weapons that are in CS:GO like the Tec-9 and the Mag-7 (though I heard the mag-7 got nerfed since I last played). It's not a bad game by any means, but 1.6 will always be king of CS.

ff_plunder - Complete

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Brass
BABIES!

Class/Position: O
Affiliations: [FPS]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via MSN to Brass
Quote:
And it's not like you can tell they are using modded servers that get rid of the fact you get horribly slowed down when jumping. I meant you can't bhop in VANILLA CS.
Can't tell if you're joking or just being ignorant. There is a speedcap - just like in tfc. You can't go over a certain speed or else you will be slowed down.

xtreme-jumps.eu educate yourself.

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
ddm999
worst ff player eu

I spent £1.50, and got a common MAG-7 skin. (probably worth £0.04)...

Dammit Valve. It was right next to a StatTrak version of it on the random wheel too...

But anyway, I got bored and started modding Arms Race. Set it up to run through all 30 weapons (not 27 or whtever), and it goes through from expensive to cheap. Kinda sucks that at the start it's a shit-fest of Negev vs. M249 vs. SCAR-20 vs. GS3G1 vs. AWP, but, y'know. It's funner near the end, because the balancing means it's always close.

Also have one set up that focuses on rifles, with other weapons in between, but it's cool because the teams get their weapon before the other team (eg. CTs get M4A1 then AK47, Ts is other way round). The last 8 weapons are cool too, 'cause it goes Galil, AK, SG whtever, FAMAS, M4A4, AUG, Dual Elites, Gold Knife for Ts, with Galil, AK, SG after the AUG for CTs.

(and I have one which is the default looping 4 times for a 104 kill GG)

(and I can use the server map voting vs. bots)

#humblebragEDIT: I'd watch those videos, but Wii U only plays HTML5, and embedded vid's don't send video (just audio) through it.

Last edited by ddm999; 12-02-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
you tried the cz-75 yet in csgo yet, the most redunculus weapon ever - it's hilarious, you just wait for someone then spray 12 bullets in their face but only really works in an enclosed area
I'll just reply to that here. It has it's uses. I'd rather just have the glock/deagle on T and usp/p250 on CT. It's almost useless if there is more than 2 enemies so I'd just rather not use it.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

The new sg/aug scopes give me a boner.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

They're fucking terrible. Aug was fine before they buffed it. Now they nerfed it to worse than before. And I don't understand why someone would want to stare at some shitty scope graphic take up portions of their visibility.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
They're fucking amazing. Aug was alright before they buffed it. Now they made it so much more awesome than before. And I completely understand why someone would want to stare at some awesome scope graphic take up portions of their visibility.
fix'd

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
The new sg/aug scopes give me a boner.
you're literally insane. those are the lamest fucking scopes ever.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #17
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
you're absolutely correct. those are the awesomest fucking scopes ever.
fix'd

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #18
ddm999
worst ff player eu

I prefer the new scopes. Didn't the old ones look dirty and the sg's block bits of the cam with brownness? (i also way prefer the new aug in general - sry)

I also prefer the fact looks more real, as in there's no visible bit where the modeled scope mutates into the imaged scope in a frame (stuff like gmod - with ads mods on - already does it, but not with red dot sights that seem really real).

I think the main thing is really just showing off "hey source is getting better, look, these scopes are no longer bland filtering images placed in front of the camera", tho.

(more offtopic: since when was titanfall a source mod holy shit just found out)

on a different note, what's you guyses favourite skins in csgo - i got about £3 from winter crate / crate 3 and want to waste it on bullshit *cough* uhh purchase some skins, even (used to have a skin for every gun, till i sold them all and bought Payday - totally worth it).

mine would be the Urban PPDAT UMP skin (i use ump way too much), the Orange PPDAT Galil (looks pro as feck) and prolly the Ultraviolet SG6853664345. (the terifle, not the snifle)

Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #19
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Candy Apple Anything
Hypnotic Deagle
Spitfire Famas
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 AM   #20
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

This was the old aug scope:

New scope is a direct nerf to visibility. Give a shit about realism or how "cool" it looks. That's part of what's wrong with gaming anymore, everything's gotta be real and look like sex on a stack of pancakes. I'm tired of shit like aiming down sights and barbie doll dress up shooters.