Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #121
o_merovingian

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
The defenders will handle him.
That assumes that I trust the defense to handle him. One enemy HWG, if he's got skills, is quite capable of breaching anything less than the most concerted and organized defense. A lone Soldier has the ability to use alternative access routes to slip past defenses, especially if they are unorganized.

Like I said, you can't lose if the other team doesn't cap. Therefore, preventing them from capping is the most important thing.

If I let the attacker go, and he caps, and I cap, nothing has changed. It is therefore no different from us killing each other. However, if I kill him, and then proceed to either cap or stun the enemy defense long enough for someone else to cap, then we're ahead. It's clearly the correct strategy, particularly in public servers where you can't really trust 3 defenders to be able to stop a lone Soldier.

Now, if I have faith in my defense, then there's no real issue. But how often does that happen?
o_merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #122
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Every clan match.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 02:20 AM   #123
o_returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian
Quote:
The defenders will handle him.
That assumes that I trust the defense to handle him.
Stay in defense yourself, then. You will accomplish absolutely nothing with midfield deathmatch, except maybe piss off everyone else.
o_returner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 06:57 AM   #124
o_iceman9414

TFC is very old, so its no surprise players have moved on to more updated mods..

but

FF will bring the revival to the TF Fans.
o_iceman9414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #125
o__thursday_

Everyone plays old games, I still play HLDM, UTDM when I have the chance. Just the arrogant gamers will come back to the community, which is a bad thing. Hopefully the community will gain more new unknown members, which are friendly, rather than the

"OMG I used to play TFC then moved to CS, the CS:S... OMG 1337 TFC on HL2... OMG that sniper one shot killed me..."

and then the abuse can go on from there...
o__thursday_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #126
o_iceman9414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday
Everyone plays old games, I still play HLDM, UTDM when I have the chance. Just the arrogant gamers will come back to the community, which is a bad thing. Hopefully the community will gain more new unknown members, which are friendly, rather than the

"OMG I used to play TFC then moved to CS, the CS:S... OMG 1337 TFC on HL2... OMG that sniper one shot killed me..."

that comes i with all games tho

Old 02-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #127
o__thursday_

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman9414
Quote:

Most famously in the Half-Life community though, because its the biggest multiplaying community out there, then seconded by Quake & Unreal Series, I'd imagine.
o__thursday_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #128
o_iceman9414

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman9414
Quote:

Most famously in the Half-Life community though, because its the biggest multiplaying community out there, then seconded by Quake & Unreal Series, I'd imagine.
yup, you also have to figure that prices of PC parts are getting cheaper and people are buying their young kids gaming computers over videogame consoles now.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 AM   #129
o_3xternal

Quote:
yup, you also have to figure that prices of PC parts are getting cheaper and people are buying their young kids gaming computers over videogame consoles now.
seeing as consoles are getting moree and more like PCs every minute...
o_3xternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #130
o_lord asriel

pffft! consoles! Like, there is something that controls your aim better than a mouse.

Well, I suppose many of the old players left because they hated steam??
I really still cant stand the lack of console messages in the top left corner. so un-leet. steeam killed my tfc world, and ff shall revive it.
o_lord asriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #131
o_gritty

People left mostly because they were bored of playing the same game for a long time (its been going 5 years). There wasnt anything in particular that killed player levels IMHO (although TF1.5 changes didnt help) its simply attrition of players slowly drifting away from playing the same game too much.
You also have to realise thats there a peak period, school days and student days for people to play online, after that real life unfortunately rears its head and things like work and family take over much of peoples time.

You see this happen in all online games eventually, and since its an old game its not attracted fresh new players to fill the gap. New players go for new games.

Coming back to TFC after 3 years off as i have, actually makes it feel like a fresh new game to me after all the other online stuff ive done

Since FF is a new MOD, on a very popular platform HL2, its going to attract a whole lot of new people (as well as us old duffers) so long as its good enough.
o_gritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #132
o_gritty

And yes if it does succeed in getting new players into this community you can bet there will be a lot more teenage insults flying about and the hardcore gamers with attitudes/egos will be here, and probably an increase in cheats.

Thats life im afraid
o_gritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #133
o_silver

i just found it funny when some squeeky little voice would come over the speakers and say "u just got pwned bitch!!!111oneoneone" some people couldn't handle it but hey, the younger peeps need a game too.
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #134
o_lord asriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty
And yes if it does succeed in getting new players into this community you can bet there will be a lot more teenage insults flying about and the hardcore gamers with attitudes/egos will be here, and probably an increase in cheats.

Thats life im afraid
I think the dev team are good enough to protect the nice "environment" of these forums.

I have never seen any cheats in tfc in these 5 years. Cheats are for cs> Dang, Im sorry guys, but it IS a lame game. The factthat lack of skill equals WAITING and NOT PLAYING is an excuse to use cheats. Why would someone be so asshole as to ruin tfc? (THAT much). Go get your wallhack and headshotbot and play cs.
o_lord asriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #135
o_oinker

Yea, all the new younger tfc players are grown up I know I don't have time to clan anymore thats what killed it mostly. when I started playing I was like 14-15 I am now 18 lol. with college and work it is impossible to do any sort of clanning at all.. <sniff>
o_oinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #136
o_comrade tiki

We all have things to do, and the temptation of new games and mods also draws attention from the wavering TFC community. But this thread has inspired myself to go play for a few hours! There are plenty of good servers, and nothing is more relaxing than the weekend...(except for vacation/holiday)
o_comrade tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 AM   #137
o_sambo4283

i cant stand pubbing anymore...i usually just play tfc when i can join in clan practises
o_sambo4283 is offline   Reply With Quote