Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
[TALOS]Smoke

Class/Position: Demo Defense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I have plenty of people tell me that the reason why they don't check out FF is because they don't think their comp will run it. Mind you these aren't the younger gamers really, most of the people I have on my friends list are late 20's to mid 30's. FF is really easy to get a concept of the basics, whether or not you played TFC before.
The community has really taken a huge hit, I've heard rumors as to what happened, and it is what it is. I guess it's just a little staggering to me that while there are so many of us who preach that we need to save FF, nobody has stopped to even think of what that really means?
I've had discussions with people who have said that FF was created for a handful of people who wanted to play among themselves, and that FF was never created with a community or pubbers in mind. There are others who say that a certain community got ban happy, very ban happy. Yet still more others who want to point the finger at the devs and say that they really didn't give a shit about fixing bugs and things of that nature.
Regardless of all that, there are plenty of things that each and every person who plays FF would like to see done. Some just want more maps. Others want the classes tweaked, etc etc.
There are some of us who have really nothing vested in FF except the time we've played. Others have spent not just hours, but weeks, months and more working on some aspect of the game.
I'd love to see the devs open up as to what needs to be done, and see if there are people who are able and willing to help. Whether it be helping mappers with lua files, or working on scripts and different game formats.
I think the addition of bots would be a good thing, probably the best thing that could help draw new players in. I think a lot of games now are including skills training maps where you can play against bots, you could offer a package similar to FoxBot in that server owners can add bots if they so choose. Yes, I understand that the person who was working on bots gave up on it, but I'm sure he wasn't the only person who is capable of undertaking the project.
I guess it all returns to asking for help, and being willing to help if you can. Also regardless of how old FF is as long as the tools are still there, there is no reason for it to ever become antiquated. I've seen how far FF has come over the years and I also see where it could go, either good or bad.
Anyway, let me step down off my soap box now.

Last edited by [TALOS]Smoke; 04-04-2013 at 04:24 AM.
[TALOS]Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
You can play FF with a potato computer these days.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Damn right. I'm on my secondary PC now, and although I can't even run 2 tabs in Chrome if I have Flash in one of the tabs, it runs FF. Albeit, I do have to run it at 1360x768 even though this is a 1920x1080 screen. (Also, changing the resolution breaks the HUD till you reboot FF. FF's fault, or Valve's fault?)

(PS: SO MUCH PIXELATION, AAAAAAAH)

You could fuckin' run FF on a piece of cardboard covered with a lump of shit with the microchip out of a 1980's phone.
Gotta remember to stuff a wireless card in it too, though, or no-one can play with you D:

Anyway,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
TF2/QTF/etc. are FORTRESS GAMES.Threads about Fortress games go in General Discussion.

They will be moved if they are posted here. Repeat offenders will be smacked with the Internet, with a side of bacon.
FUCKIN SMACK DAT BIATCH MOTO

Last edited by ddm999; 04-06-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: :DDDD
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
FF was totally full of bugs when it was released, I mean it was barely functioning. Some weapons didn't have sounds or animations, it would crash a lot, prematch didnt work, people got stuck etc...

But this has improved dramatically since release and it's pretty stable now. I'm struggling to think of any major bugs still in FF?
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock View Post
any major bugs still in FF?
What about the fucking sabotage bugs that still fucks up using Spy in pubs. Yknow. That thing. But squeek says next release it'll be fixed, so I suppose my only complaint is WhenWillFF2.46Or2.5(WhicheverNextReleaseIs)Out.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Aside from that AfterShock, there are still some bugs, but I've been told some of which are a cause of the engine, not a cause of FF:

- Respawn Delay when you get killed by certain weapons (usually hitscan weapons and some melee weapons)
- Audio Loop bug with Rockets/Flame sounds (snd_restart is the only workaround to this)
- Hitting people with weapons like the sniper rifle can show blood spatter but the player doesn't actually take any damage
- Switching between weapons using +Attack2 still sometimes automatically switches back to your previous weapon without hitting the button a 2nd time
- Radial menu bug where holding right-click doesn't always stay up on your screen so you have to click it a 2nd or even 3rd time before being able to use it

Most, if not all of these issues, have been happening since FF 1.0.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 04-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
ddm999
worst ff player eu

There's also the problem where only fall damage causes you to receive -1 kills.
Every other way of self-killing doesn't change your kill count.

BTW, the fact pyros exist should be a bug. lulwot.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
There's also the problem where only fall damage causes you to receive -1 kills.
Every other way of self-killing doesn't change your kill count.

BTW, the fact pyros exist should be a bug. lulwot.
That's not a bug, typically suicides have always given you minus one frag in games since forever. I think changing class/team was changed so it doesn't anymore, but to my knowledge fall damage, weapon damage, trigger hurts etc all give you -1.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
weapon damage gives you -1.
I don't think it does. If you kill yourself with RPG or somethin to respawn, it doesn't -1 your kills.

The only thing that DOES IS fall damage. As I stated above. BTW, I meant the bug is either the fact it's only fall damage, or the fact fall damage does in the first place.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #30
Raynian
D&A Member

If that's the case, then it should be fixed so all suicides give you the -1. It was put in place in arena shooters so that you couldn't suicide if someone was going to frag you - even though it's unnecessary in FF I still like it.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #31
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Does the server setting to scale time still work in FF? It used to many years ago but then iirc it stopped working properly and I've not tried it since. Could be interesting to try literally slowing the game down by 10-20% (without making any actual functional change so that everything still works exactly the same - just there's more time to think!).

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
ddm999
worst ff player eu

ff_training uses a trigger that slows down the server, but I don't know whether that's just changing movement speeds.

Code:
player:SpeedMod( int )
seems to be the Lua code. But this does look like it is just movement, so.

Also, how did we get from modding TFC to slowing down time in FF? It's a wonder how easily topics go astray...

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Raynian
D&A Member

I thought the command was host_timescale.