Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Fortress Media

Old 10-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Affiliations: Wazzazzaza
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Lightbulb Fortress Forever - Beyond Good and Evil

Watch it on youtube and not here so you can use the "hd" feature

Last edited by Mikael_hs; 10-15-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Mikael_hs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Gr3mLin

Class/Position: Soldier/Demo/Medic
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Cool avi micke, I liked the soldier part of destroy. He looked really good
Gr3mLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
ryu^
Fortress Forever Staff

nice one mikael, love the direction of the first part, simple and informative and flows excellent with the music.
ryu^ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
oTTo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Good work Mikael

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
RnZ
D&A Member

Class/Position: I like them all (except snipers :P)
Affiliations: [TW]
Mikael is cool
RnZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I really like the opening bit with the rockets and the part with the first track.
Nice job.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
It's good, but I don't like it all.

for instance;
  • I like the first part, but I'm still not too keen on your descriptions (ie: fatty = KillKillKill)
  • I don't really like the AvD part, for the same reason that stupid pot vid is stupid. Comedy in FF just doesn't work.
  • same thing with the pyro / sniper noobclasses thing, just doesn't do it for me (but that mb b/c I'm bitter that we've let those classes be shit for so long).
  • and the end with the fatty fade out thing hurt my eyes lol

In all though it's still a really nice avi. You showcase some nice moves and some just general ones, ties in very well, the music is nice, and it is quite informative. So yeah, in all great job, just not my fav avi of all time.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Fair points; I didn't really go for being the best avi though, just hopefully the avi that gets the most people to try out the game. I figured that was more important atm than flattering old tfc'ers or just doing another pure skillz avi which wouldn't compare to ryu's anyway.

As for the descriptions, I rather went with easy, though perhaps somewhat faulty ones, than some extensive blabla which would just be boring. This avi only has 1 goal, and if that's achieved then im superhappy ^^

Last edited by Mikael_hs; 10-14-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Caroline

Nice job. Men att slänga in en egen åsikt sådär om sniper eller pyro kunde du nog ha skippat.
Nya spelaren får väl själva avgöra vad som är noobigt eller inte noobigt. Nu får dom ju för sig att det faktiskt är så, vilket inte är sant! Eller hur!?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
GJ trying to get new people to play the game and scaring them away by totally overlooking the classes most new players play.

Also I didn't like the video.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Not much I can do about that, hopefully people who haven't played the game will.

about the classes... man it's a joke, take it easy. People who don't play the game don't know the bickering and "debate" regarding those 2 classes, so they don't have any preconception of them. Thus I hope they can appreciate the joke a little bit more. Since it however is a fact that neither are played in ctf, I couldn't show them in that part. Which turns me to:

That's one part of it; the second is that I actually was going to make an AvD part, but since very few were willing to help me out with recording demos on the CTF part, and it pretty much felt like I was the one asking around for some favor, even though I couldn't care less about "making a great avi", I honestly didn't feel like making that 2nd part and wasting even more of my time on this.

My hope was that I was the one doing something good for the community in making an avi that hopefully could complement ryu's, by appealing to people who actually didn't play tfc (much); the sort of garbage people here have in the trunk and which forms their opinion of this movie doesn't concern me much (altough positive or at least constructive feedback is always nice)

Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Sorry Satan but Comedy is great for FF
I really enjoyed this video. Intro was great. AvD was funny same thing with the pyro and sniper.. well not so much with the pyro.. I'll ask credge, Frogger, or buckshot for some awesome Pyro demos on ctf. Destroy did dragged on a bit but understand you were short on footage. Overal I enjoyed this video very much and I'm sure new people will like it as well.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
yeah Mikael, don't get me wrong...I think there were a lot of points that the movie did very well on and you made a great avi, but like Caroline and I said, you didn't really need to put in the AvD or pyro/sniper part and your not helping anyone doing it by skeewing new players opinions.

I would say remove those parts and you would have a better avi. BUT still did a really great job and I really liked the majority of it!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

no worries; schism's comment makes me rage though ^^

I know the ideal thing would be to actually have a decent AvD part; truth is that's not very easily done since it's pretty much never played in pickups. I figured since I had this much trouble getting footage to the map that's played in 99% of the Euro pickups, I didn't want to try out AvD which is never played...

For this reason I had no place to put sniper or pyro, cause they aren't played in ctf, at least not in europe. Also I didn't feel like I could squeeze them in during the first part. So I either left them out completely, or made a lil joke with them. The people I've shown it to who don't play FF seem to appreciate those parts.

I also wanted to not get comments like "bunyhop forever no wonder ppl dont play this". Hopefully this one won't

Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
wakka

Class/Position: top
Gametype: pwning caroline in bed
the retort to bunnyhop forever is skill forever tbh.
wakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael_hs View Post
no worries; schism's comment makes me rage though ^^

I know the ideal thing would be to actually have a decent AvD part; truth is that's not very easily done since it's pretty much never played in pickups. I figured since I had this much trouble getting footage to the map that's played in 99% of the Euro pickups, I didn't want to try out AvD which is never played...

For this reason I had no place to put sniper or pyro, cause they aren't played in ctf, at least not in europe. Also I didn't feel like I could squeeze them in during the first part. So I either left them out completely, or made a lil joke with them. The people I've shown it to who don't play FF seem to appreciate those parts.

I also wanted to not get comments like "bunyhop forever no wonder ppl dont play this". Hopefully this one won't

I understand your motive, but you may want to put together a pickup of good players and go mob a public AVD server to get footage. Nobody cares who you're playing against because this isn't some super elite frag movie, it's a promotional film, and I say do what you need to do to get footage.

Also on the pyro and sniper, same deal, each class has some "that's cool" features, and IMO, do what it takes to show them.

Because the classes don't fit "competetive pickup style" ctf, does not mean that they don't belong in ctf at all. From a game emersion standpoint, the average player has no preconceived team dynamics to worry about, or a caps per minute quota; they just want to shoot face. The sniper excels at shooting face. The pyro excels at burnination, and trickjumping. See 1:22-1:32, and tell me that's not cool. Hell, even dumbass youtube users think it's cool.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Mono, good points. I might make the AvD part as well, later on. BUT, I don't really think the ctf "skillz" part needs polishing, cause it's just good that the skills are somewhat average in my opinion(?).

Anyhow I still want to see what people who don't play the game think before adding/removing stuff.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Word. The film doesn't suck, as is. But if you decided to add pyro, sniper, and avd, it would be a complete showcase of what new players could expect upon joining a game.

To kill 3 birds with one oversized stone, you could include the additional classes in the AVD clips, as sniper is very useful in taking out heavy classes and SGs in AVD, and who doesn't like to see a fatty getting his grits blown out of his helmet? I KNOW I DO!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edit: Too much coffee. = \

Last edited by MonoXideAtWork; 10-15-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Mikael_hs
Beta Tester

Yeah that was the plan, to add in sniper and pyro in the AvD part. Maybe I will still make it, and make it like I made the first part; by staging all of it... Anyhow if I choose to do so, it wont be now.

Then I could also have the last part be "Gamemode: Pickup (CTF)"; which makes the whole a bit more connected

Last edited by Mikael_hs; 10-15-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Do you think you could articulate the differences in gameplay and properly sell the league scene in a video? One Idea would be to release a separate video for that, in a "We want you" or "Army of One" Style. Make sure it's branded with logos and web addresses for active leagues for the most impact.