Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Kreedz Climbing

http://kzmod.com/news.php

A mod that is devoted to Half-Life skill map gameplay. It is a true pleasure to play, and I have fallen in love with it after only a few hours.

If you like FF trimp/bhop/conc maps, you're in for a treat (probably). Imagine if FF was nothing but skill maps; that's what Kreedz Climbing is.

Also, if you have played Quake DeFRaG and really liked that -- this is the same concept, only in a different engine with different physics.

I encourage you to give it a go! A small download (1.3GB I believe), and it runs on my machine so it will run on yours, trust me.

Trailer:

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 08-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Nice, I used to play kz maps all the time in TFC and CS.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Nice, I used to play kz maps all the time in TFC and CS.
I can't seem to find anything about Kreedz other than it was a skill map community in CS. Care to share any background info/history/cool videos?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...cs+kz&oq=cs+kz

In CS, the maps were much more difficult because of the difference when you land from a jump compared to TFC. Where TFC had mostly climb or bhop maps, KZ really shined in CS because it took the combination of bhop and climb maps to a new level. In TFC, when you jump and land, you have less friction when coming to a stop compared to CS which made bhopping easier. There are scripts you can use in either mod to help give you a more automatic bhop, but the difficulty has always been higher in CS than in TFC to bhop.

So KZ maps are combining the skill of knowing how to bhop with getting through the sometimes impossible obstacles of a climb map.

Also, there's a glitch in either mod where if you land on the very edge of a surface, you not only maintain most of your initial speed, but you do not take any fall damage. So you will see in this video some jumps from insane heights that would normally kill you if you landed anywhere on the surface but the ledge, (I think it's called ledging) you are able to continue without taking any damage.

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 08-10-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Wow, that's incredible.

Feels very different from this though:

I just completed one of KZMod's easy courses (woohoo!), so I think I am getting the hang of bunnyhopping at a very basic level.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
In CS, the maps were much more difficult because of the difference when you land from a jump compared to TFC. Where TFC had mostly climb or bhop maps, KZ really shined in CS because it took the combination of bhop and climb maps to a new level. In TFC, when you jump and land, you have less friction when coming to a stop compared to CS which made bhopping easier. There are scripts you can use in either mod to help give you a more automatic bhop, but the difficulty has always been higher in CS than in TFC to bhop.

So KZ maps are combining the skill of knowing how to bhop with getting through the sometimes impossible obstacles of a climb map.

Also, there's a glitch in either mod where if you land on the very edge of a surface, you not only maintain most of your initial speed, but you do not take any fall damage. So you will see in this video some jumps from insane heights that would normally kill you if you landed anywhere on the surface but the ledge, (I think it's called ledging) you are able to continue without taking any damage.
Speaking of CS movement, I was always really fascinated by (but never played) CS 1.6 "Hide N Seek", which is basically tag and utilizes all of the kz_ movement techniques. Some really cool stuff. It's huge on fall damage mitigation/avoidance.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 08-13-2013 at 12:38 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

nice, that looks like a lot of fun. I was more into surfing:
in CS than anything. I wish we had more level-type surf maps in FF.

Shit, just watching these videos makes me wanna go play some CS all of a sudden

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 08-13-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Do surf maps/surf servers use modified airacceleration? There's no way that video is using close to the default values.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 08-13-2013 at 04:34 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Air Acceleration 100 is generally default for surfing, else it'd be almost impossible. No other modifications, but there is a downside to the air accel being that high which is if you hit backwards midair it will stop you instead of just slowing you to a stop. Also, 131fps or lower is ideal otherwise you will get stuck on some surf ramps. Some surf servers use auto bhop plugin but back when I played, we had higher standards. There are also different schools of thought on whether auto respawn is turned on or not. When I ran my surf server, I always had it on because people get bored quickly just having to watch other people surf until all the players on one team are killed.

Also, on surf simpsons, there are boosts on some of the ramps to increase your speed a bit.

Considering it's pretty cheap to rent a server these days, if enough people are interested, I could definitely think about starting one up again.

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 08-13-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I'd recommend checking out Kreedz Climbing if all of that interests you -- it has many modes, including bhop maps, surf maps, climb maps, etc.

Then again if you decide to start up a CS skill server (or in other words, a server devoted to these funky awesome modes of play), I would join in a heartbeat.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
nice, that looks like a lot of fun. I was more into surfing in CS than anything. I wish we had more level-type surf maps in FF.

Shit, just watching these videos makes me wanna go play some CS all of a sudden
You should spend some time concing around jumptrix. It's not a typical surf map, but even with default physics it's a lot of fun. It's just that you use concs for acceleration rather than airaccel. With enough finesse you could literally never touch the ground.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
A long list of text about why Kreedz is fckin' awesum.

Kreedz has a mental amount of help for learning anything in the game.

Not only does the tutorial go through every part of the game, there's also .vmf mapping tutorials that go through all the button types, all the kinds of map, how to correctly carve circles in walls without using the broken tool, how to use func_detail and hint brushes correctly, all the KC entities...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and there's a map which is a stage by stage guide to surfing, which means I can now probably surf in FF without just falling off everything because I don't know how to do it.

It's just, hey, you want to hit the ramp at the top, then slide down to the bottom while gaining speed, and hit the top again at the end of the ramp to go as far as possible.

//EDIT end

The game itself also has a special brush, which can be solid and visible only to certain people, meaning different routes with different brushes will only appear to people who pick that climb.

The medal system is fun, the game respects that some people nocheck the maps and deserve extra credit for it, the game changes the physics depending on the area you are in (which is fcking MENTAL), so that there are bhop / nobhop areas, surf / nosurf areas, and mixtures of the two.

The maps work perfectly, yet most look great at the same time, and it replicates CS 1.6 movement 100%, what with edge friction, and all that shit.

Oh, and not only can you climb / surf / bhop, there's also raceways / bhop raceways / long jumps / long jump races / bungees / KZtag with powerups and stuff but not enough people play so I don't know what it's like / 2 man climbs / 3 man climbs / 4 man climbs / powerjumps / mixed courses.

I mean, I don't own or have played CS 1.6, and I love it. :P

I also tried making a map for it. Most of the map was really easy, and even I could nocheck it, but then 2 jumps were impossible. And I'm not saying that it was just too hard for me, but I swear only the very best at KZ maps could even do it.

Also, for the first 3 hours I crouched all throughout my jumps, until someone told me crouching stops air control from working.

Then I annoyed someone because I use space to jump. I mean, I use mouse wheel for bhopping, but c'mon, that means I need to move mouse and scroll mouse at same time, is too difficults.

later edit: GOD DAMN IT I MISSED THE FLARE PART.

you can also fire flares, which can be restricted on time between firing by map triggers, they can be fired from the hl2 airboat, they trigger targets and destroy roller mines (from hl2), so there's also airboat races with flares and ROLLER MINES THAT TRY TO FCK YOU UP BUT YOUR PRO AND YOU DRIVE INTO THE ROLLER MINES SO IT'S EASIER TO BLOW THEM UP BECAUSE THEY'RE STUCK ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AIRBOAT AND THEY'RE EASY TO SHOOT COZ PRO SKILLIGES.

thanks for reading, i guess. download, play, fun, die (wait wut)

Last edited by ddm999; 08-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Yep, it's a fucking incredible mod.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
surfrock

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
http://xtreme-jumps.eu/news.php

xtreme jumps is the official community to get records on these maps. (cs 1.6)

kzmod since last version use the same mouse movement that in cs 1.6.
surfrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Wow, now that's an active forum.

http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/...pic.php?336686

Guess that's why nobody is playing KZMod in comparison.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
surfrock

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
kzmod never was popular and never wont be, i think. (like ff) =(

xtreme jumps is death in comparasion with some old years, because now its really hard to get a record on these maps, only some players have skills to get records.

if you wanna try to get records, maybe you could start play on http://cosy-climbing.net/news.php (non-kzmaps) there are so much maps without record.

if still result hard get records on cosy you can try on your country community (the most have one), they have their own records.

in my case

kz argentina

kz latino america
surfrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
The thing is, because of how KC isn't multiplayer based, it will be a playable game all day, whereas the main part of FF can't be played all day (the other part is conc / surf / idunno / maybe bhop).

I'm also pretty sure Xtreme Jumps supports Kreedz Climbing, you can download KC through XJ, it has it's own section in the forum, I know that some guy on KC said that website and the KC site are the best for learning stuff.

Also, from reading the XJ forums, I can safely say the people who play KZ maps on CS 1.6 only seem to play it because their computers suck ass.

Supposedly they get 40 FPS on A FCKING SOURCE GAME. DO THEY PLAY IT ON A 10 YEAR OLD PHONE? WTF.

also, these people say GoldSrc is a way better engine than Source, when Source was a direct improvement.

GOD DAMN IT.

oh and someone thought it was a mod for CS 1.6. *sigh*

Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Goldsrc air control feels a lot different than source. While I like the results you can get out of the source engine, in the goldsrc engine you can actually sort of feel the air control. It's kind of an abstract thing, because obviously you can't really "feel" things in a video game, but I do really like the way it "feels". I still like source better though. But that may be a part of peoples preference to goldsrc.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

FDA, I completely agree. It has somewhat of a mechanical feel to it that just works. I feel like I get dragged down a bit more in Source.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Blah, wish I was gaming about 4 years earlier than I started.

I feel like I discovered all this shit that I absolutely love about 6-8 years too late.