Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #21
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
You really think she wants more fucking money?

For the record, she's richer than the Queen of England.

She was answering a fan's question. Just turns out the answer to said question had pretty much everybody saying, "Say WHAT?!"

Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
Bubbles
Bueno

I hereby declare this thread dead on arrival. When will you people learn?
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #23
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
But it does doesn't it? Maybe not as a person, but the character altogether, meaning if you have read the books, you know Dumbledore specifically as just Dumbledore, you don't have to know about his lifestyle, you don't have to know about his personal life, because it doesn't add anything to the story. But mentioning he's homosexual, does this change your perception of the character, does it make him somehow different in the eyes of readers, especially young readers who may or may not understand what being homosexual is. Does it warrant parents reading to the same young kids to explain to them what they may not be able to explain or ready to explain aptly for the child to understand fully. I just can't see what it does for the books.

I think I should clarify that when I say character, I don't mean ones personal character, I mean the character in the story. Just so we're clear.
She didn't just come out and say it for the hell of it, someone asked her about a specific character. You can accuse her of saying it on the spot for shock, and I can say she could have thought about it long before, but that is something neither can confirm, all that is important is that she didn't plan to go out and tell everyone in advance.

Quote:
You're wrong on that. Try to be a little more open minded.
Who else would be bothered by a homosexual in a piece of literature? If someone alienates themselves from an author because she puts a homosexual character in her books and depicts him in a positive way that labels them as homophobic automatically because it is his homosexuality that is the source of their alienation. If it is something else about dumbledore that disturbs them then his homosexuality doesn't matter, but in this case we are talking about his homosexuality.

I am not sure how I can be open minded about it, should I look at someone who is bugged by homosexuals and say "It's okay, there is nothing wrong with homophobism"?
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #24
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
It doesn't have to be homophobism. Not everyone lives such a black and white life nor are they all so narrow that they can't see it any other way. You see it as such as you cannot conceive of any other possibility...or you choose not to. Either way, try being a little more open minded.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #25
YomMamasHouse

What is another possibility for disliking the fact that a characters in a book is gay? I want to leave this black and white world, other than homophobism, what are some reasons for not liking the fact that Rowling said Dumbledore is gay?

Old 10-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #26
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Meh, she wouldn't want the ignorant hicks who have a problem with a gay character reading her books anyway.

Although, Harry Potter sucks, so in the end it doesn't matter anyway.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #27
YomMamasHouse

Harry Potter is the shit, aside from the fact that it promotes Satan and witchcraft it is an awesome series.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #28
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
The best thing an author does is write a book. They're kind of ristricted to just that- expanding on a finished series is just stupid and defeats the purpose. Who cares what rowling said- a novel's sole purpose is to test your own interpretations of situations. In my mind, Dumbledore is Dumbledore- Why let someone else tell me more? Who cares about her intentions, the story never claims him to be so, so in reality, he is not.. er was not..
EDIT: If George Washington jumped out and claimed that the constitution was actually meant for white people, do you think we'd all shift how we enforce our laws, or would we keep going as we are?
^may be a bad example (the majority of the constitution writers did support slavery), but you guys get the point.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #29
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Why do all the straight people bitch about homophobia? Really.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 03:19 AM   #30
YomMamasHouse

Because sometimes people are sympathetic to plights other than their own.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #31
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

When it really doesn't bother those they try to care about... I can see what you mean.

I have to say that ANYONE who is really bothered by the shit that YMH is trying to argue against has some bigger problems at hand. Anyone who's dumb enough to think that mild homophobia on the internet also does.

Tl;dr: You've no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #32
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
white people for social justice! (because it's trendy, and the hot chicks are into that kind of stuff)

Apparently (I havent read any harry potter books since middle school) Dumbledore is dead, and unless he's pulling some force-ghost obi-wan kenobi crap in the last book he's done and done in the series. Unless rowling writes prequels and spin-offs (MILK IT FOR ALL ITS WORTH, JK!) Dumbledore's sexuality is completely irrelevant. Everything involving dumbledore is written, so his character is completely defined and dimensioned as much as it will ever be. Why would she make an unexpected statement that suddenly makes a major character a deviant after 7 8 books?

CONTROVERSY = PUBLICITY = MONEY!

Also, as to homophobia, it's a completely slanted and inaccurate term. I might be described as homophobic, but my feelings toward homosexuality are neither irrational nor fearful.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #33
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
white people for social justice! (because it's trendy, and the hot chicks are into that kind of stuff)

Apparently (I havent read any harry potter books since middle school) Dumbledore is dead, and unless he's pulling some force-ghost obi-wan kenobi crap in the last book he's done and done in the series. Unless rowling writes prequels and spin-offs (MILK IT FOR ALL ITS WORTH, JK!) Dumbledore's sexuality is completely irrelevant. Everything involving dumbledore is written, so his character is completely defined and dimensioned as much as it will ever be. Why would she make an unexpected statement that suddenly makes a major character a deviant after 7 8 books?

CONTROVERSY = PUBLICITY = MONEY!

Also, as to homophobia, it's a completely slanted and inaccurate term. I might be described as homophobic, but my feelings toward homosexuality are neither irrational nor fearful.
I agree. Homophobia has become a blanket statement for the flaming fags of the world, and an excuse for lawsuits. I'm more surprised when people aren't surprised or uncomfortable about my bisexuality, as it's hard for many people to accept when they're been raised to think male + female = profit.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #34
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse
What is another possibility for disliking the fact that a characters in a book is gay? I want to leave this black and white world, other than homophobism, what are some reasons for not liking the fact that Rowling said Dumbledore is gay?
It isn't that he's gay, who gives a shit, so the castle is clean and is nicely decorated, horray! It's the fact that it DOESN'T ADD ANYTHING! The man DIES at the end of the NEXT to last book, it is of NO RELEVANCE that he is a homosexual. If he's really homosexual, then why wasn't it mentioned when the books were first released, why wasn't it relevant then, or even in the middle of the series, why not then? But now that the series is OVER, it's suddenly OK to admit that he's homosexual? Horray for political correctness! I don't care that he's gay, I'm more upset at the fact that she just suddenly decided to announce he was a homosexual character, based on the Q&A if someone would have asked if Harry Potter was a ninja in disguise, she would have said yes, unless she TRULY had the intention of Dumbledore being homosexual, and not mentioning it till 3 months after her final book hit store shelves.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #35
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

I sometimes think JKR purposely tries to piss of Catholics. lol.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #36
Fragile

i never knew a fictional character's sexual orientation would make such a noticeable impact...

After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonished fans, Rowling added. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

so she was afraid that it would displease her audience. theres your answer.
stfu.
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #37
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
For what it's worth, the relationship between the characters Dumbledore and Grindelwald is very relevant to the plot of the final book. The text itself does not fully explain everything and apparently Rowling's interpretation is that Dumbledore had a misplaced trust because of infatuation.

In a Q&A session someone asked for more information about Dumbledore's history. Rowling revealed what she had in mind when she was writing the books. That's what a Q&A session is for.

edit : Also, Rowling did not just make this up on the spot to spark controversy. She had already made alterations to the script for one of the films (removing a reference to a former heterosexual relationship on Dumbledore's part) so that it would be consistent with her interpretation of what she wrote.
ekiM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #38
halo

It's a common method used by script-writers and authors that they prepare profiles on major characters and detail a background and personality for them because it means you understand the character fully before writing and can keep them consistant as a result. I use it myself on my occasional forays into fiction.

I don't think it was something she ever intended on writing, in any explicit way, into the stories. It's just part of the background she's give that character to help her understand him.

If it bothers you that a fictional wizard is gay, or if you think that a fictional wizard being gay is controversial, then you are a fuckwit.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #39
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

It only bothers me that this is such a huge deal for some. And that the topic i created on the exact same matter before this one was posted has been ignored and is dropping into oblivion.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #40
Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
It only bothers me that this is such a huge deal for some. And that the topic i created on the exact same matter before this one was posted has been ignored and is dropping into oblivion.
1) why did you make a thread on a forum about it if it wasnt a big deal to you?
2) we had to pick either this one or your thread. this one just happened to develop.
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote