Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
o_phobia

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Map requests

This is a request for any decent mapper (or a devteam mapper?) to port ETF/QWTF maps.

Most look rather plain even in ETF. But gameplay is nice, and could probably with some tweaks work in FF as well (like openfire made it's transition to Q3F/ETF).

The ones I personally consider worthy of a 'life after' are in order:

- lastresort
- smartbases
- cathedrals
- japanc
- hardcore
- spring (hope ids gets time to port this though)

For smaller games there is always:

- zigzag
- chaos

Which are popular public maps.

Or just fun 4 team action (the man responsible for well and rock made this map once upon a time for QWTF but then under the name spaz4):

- spazball

Would really rock if someone that know their way around mapping would take a look at any of these.
o_phobia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
o_swampthing

good call on those maps, they are all very good. At the moment I don't have any HL2 mapping but I have done some mapping for duke nukem 3d! and a little work with q3 mapping.

However, I am going to learn Hammer for HL2 and get back into it. I'd personally like to remake cath if I had to choose one. So by the end of the week I'll start working on it. Might take me awhile but it'll get there!

If I may make a map request of my own, it's an old one, but a good one.

QWTF map called Town4, it's more of a just fun type map, with 3 different teams in a crazy city layout. Wild map back in the day.

btw, I think chaos could be knocked out very quickly as well. It's such a small one, and there's not much to it.
o_swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
o_phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing
good call on those maps, they are all very good. At the moment I don't have any HL2 mapping but I have done some mapping for duke nukem 3d! and a little work with q3 mapping.

However, I am going to learn Hammer for HL2 and get back into it. I'd personally like to remake cath if I had to choose one. So by the end of the week I'll start working on it. Might take me awhile but it'll get there!
Not the easiest map to make I reckon, but that sounds good.

Quote:
If I may make a map request of my own, it's an old one, but a good one.

QWTF map called Town4, it's more of a just fun type map, with 3 different teams in a crazy city layout. Wild map back in the day.

btw, I think chaos could be knocked out very quickly as well. It's such a small one, and there's not much to it.
Ah, town4, I remember that map, loved it back then. That and border1 was really funny maps. Not so sure how town4 would be today, but worth a try I guess.

Yeah, chaos should be easy. So if anyone is looking for a quick map project, there you have it.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
o_tyrus

I second JapanCastles, LastResort and Hardcore!!
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
o_afx

I always liked last_resort and stag, I know for sure these got tfc ports but never really took off, However i think that was mainly down to the crappy mapping rather than the maps themselves. Im sure with a few tweaks they could work well in FF.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
o_swampthing

ya all of these maps were classics for Q3F, and I don't see why they wouldn't work perfectly for FF.

Maybe I'll start with chaos, since it shouldn't take so long and would be easier for me to start with.

So, chaos first, then I'll get to work on Cath.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
o_phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afx
I always liked last_resort and stag, I know for sure these got tfc ports but never really took off, However i think that was mainly down to the crappy mapping rather than the maps themselves. Im sure with a few tweaks they could work well in FF.
Wasn't aware there was versions of those in TFC. But yeah, presented properly I'm sure TFC people would like them as well.

About stag, whilst I enjoyed that map in Q3F beta1, I just can't stomach it anymore (no offence to Leon who is a good mapper), just played it too much in the early days and it didn't work anywhere near as well in beta2.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
o_swampthing

I did like stag alot in beta 1 of q3f. In beta 2 they tried doing this really odd egyptian theme, which was ok..... I just tend to like the beta 1 version better.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
lets see some screenies!
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
o_swampthing

lol good one

Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
It wasnt a joke, if you want people to remake/convert ETF maps show some ETF screens of what they look like. It might get em motivated.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 AM   #12
o_phobia

Ok, just to let you get an idea of what they look like in Q3F/ETF I whipped together a couple of screens. Not all the maps, but at least 4 of them:

Hopefully this works.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
o_phobia

And this could've saved me the trouble I guess, some more can be found here anyway (spaz, chaos, some more of cathedrals, lastresort and smartbases2 etc):

http://www.q3f.com/shots_levels.html

Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #14
o_swampthing

I thought you were being sarcastic, and wanting pictures of the map development already

my mistake... I have started working on chaos.... Hammer is a little different than my q3 experiences, nothing drasticly different. By next sunday I'll try to have a screenshot of the outside to match this picture:

Well somewhat at least.... I don't think i'm going to stick with the texture theme of the original so much. I'm thinking more urban building type's, but the same layout and dimensions.

Any other opinions or suggestions on textures?

Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
USE TEXT LINKS, HOLY HELL.

The fun thing about ETF is, if you wanna check it out, it's free, and so is Enemy Territory. Convenient!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 AM   #17
o_tyrus

lol circ, done.

I just like using [img] and stuff. ;(
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #18
o_tennovan

I'd like to take one of these maps on if thats ok. I've never played ETF... or any other TF game for that matter so I'm gonna have to install and look around for a bit. Any suggestions mapwise?
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #19
o_afx

Quote:
Any other opinions or suggestions on textures?
All i'd say is anyone remaking these maps should try and keep away from the stereotypical quake style(i know mostve these maps are already different to that), as much as i dont mind it myself i do find that it tends to put quite a few people off maps, as theyre so gloomy.

Quote:
I'd like to take one of these maps on if thats ok. I've never played ETF... or any other TF game for that matter so I'm gonna have to install and look around for a bit. Any suggestions mapwise?
Noone seems to have snagged stag, Im not sure a straight port would work, but if you took inspiration from it(especially the flagroom), then im sure it could be a really good ff map.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #20
o_js

I'd like to see spring ported, or maybe even try it myself.
o_js is offline   Reply With Quote