Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Jay Mofo Mills
Jay|mOfO|Mills
Beta Tester

Gametype: Snag the flag beotches
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
creating tunnels/archways (CYLINDERS VS. SUBDIVIDE)

As a side note in reference to creating tunnels/archways

One extremely annoying problem with subdividing to create your arches/tunnels is that little invisible edges will clip the player. Prob not a huge issue if its a roof but its really annoying to conc along the edge of a rounded wall and hit invisible edges because of subdividing. You can also get stuck just running along them.

I would recommend using the arch tool whenever possible because a.) it always puts your vertexes on the grid and b.) you dont get those little annoying invisible corners.

Unless of course you have extremely crazy shapes you need to subdivide for, or they're not in a high travel area.
Jay Mofo Mills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
That's why we have playerclip brushes. You can also make displacements non-solid to players.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I'm fond of using world brushes textured with invisible (for smooth/consistent collisions) coupled with non-solid displacements (for cool aesthetics). I tried to do that in the ff_myth yard but didn't do it properly, so it's still pretty buggy in some areas (I left some displacements solid I think, so you sometimes get stuck while rampsliding, etc). The ff_myth ramp room uses that method as well, though, and it works well.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 07-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I haven't noticed any problems with subdividing and getting stuck.. So long as edges meet generally 1 to 1 or at Npower2 to 1 then so long as it's sewn I dont have any problems.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-04-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
time to dust off this old topic with some new questions...

So, I am sitting here at work and something dawns on me... hitting Ctrl+B snaps the selection to the grid right? well, does this work in vertex edit mode? Like if i were to have some vertices selected and i hit Ctrl+B would it snap them to the grid also??? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE PUT MY MIND AT REST. I can't wait all day to get home to know the answer. must know now.

quick somebody just open hammer or somethin and try this out. please.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
Gamingmaster000
Banned

Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Dalokohs & Sandvich,I'm 12
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Holy shit, I can't even make complex shape like curves and even circles. How you do that?
Gamingmaster000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingmaster000 View Post
Holy shit, I can't even make complex shape like curves and even circles. How you do that?
lots of patience. that long curved tunnel earlier in the thread was a huge pain to make. you can make arches and curves, but there is no tool to make a curved arch (i hope that makes sense cause i just confused myself there for a min). so basically, I made an arch, copied it, turned the copy slightly and lined it up, cut a slice off one end so the brushes werent intersecting, copied again and repeated the pattern till i got a slow 90 degree turn in an arched tunnel (btw, if there is an easier way to do this, someone shed some light on it for me). sounds harsh, but only took me about 5 mins. texturing it took the longest lol.

And i tested the vertex thing i was askin about yesterday. Does not work in vertex edit mode dammit. of course... anything that would make my time using hammer easier is a no go. stupid hammer...

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
lots of patience. that long curved tunnel earlier in the thread was a huge pain to make. you can make arches and curves, but there is no tool to make a curved arch (i hope that makes sense cause i just confused myself there for a min). so basically, I made an arch, copied it, turned the copy slightly and lined it up, cut a slice off one end so the brushes werent intersecting, copied again and repeated the pattern till i got a slow 90 degree turn in an arched tunnel (btw, if there is an easier way to do this, someone shed some light on it for me). sounds harsh, but only took me about 5 mins. texturing it took the longest lol.

And i tested the vertex thing i was askin about yesterday. Does not work in vertex edit mode dammit. of course... anything that would make my time using hammer easier is a no go. stupid hammer...
I HATE YOU TORUS TOOL. WHY DID YOU HIDE FROM ME ALL THIS TIME...

so pissed...

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Ok, so I am confused as hell (what else is new). I was reading through this page and specifically this in particular...

Maps, architecture and prop models use a scale of 1 foot = 16 units.
Skyboxes (which are 1/16th scale of ordinary maps) use 1 foot = 1 unit.
Human Character models for Source Engine currently use 1 foot = 12 units.

What? so lemmie get this straight...The actual grid in hammer is 1 unit = 1 inch? If so, why is the scale for models different? And if the skybox is 1 foot = 1 unit, wouldnt that be 1/12th scale? not 1/16th??? I am starting to wonder if I should give up on hammer and its confusing ways. It is becoming a pain in the ass...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

No, all map stuff (brushes, props, etc) uses 1 foot = 16 units (except 3d skyboxes, which use 1 foot = 1 unit, or 1/16th scale). You don't have to worry about the character model scaling (though it is weird that it uses a different scale).

This is the important part:
Code:
Map Grid    Imperial    Metric

1  =   0.75"   =   0.01905 
     2  =   1.5"    =   0.04
     4  =   3"      =   0.08
     8  =   6"      =   0.15 
    16  =   1'      =   0.3

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Thank you squeek. Although it still doesnt make sense as to why the player models are different... If I add a static prop of an FF pyro or any other class, the height is like 72 or something like that. Which according to valve, would make him 4 ft tall. lol we got a bunch of midgets with guns.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 10-10-2012 at 07:20 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

lol squeek. so I am going to just disregard valves dimensions. to hell with em. cause if i make a 96 unit tall doorway (which would be, according to valve, 6 ft), while playing in game it would be about 8 ft tall compared to the player... that does not make any sense to me at all. and if I were to make a ledge or something "eye-level" at (once again if you do the math according to 16 units = 1 ft that valve says) around 80 units (which would be around 5 ft in the "world"), it would be taller than the players themselves. BUT valve says eye level is 64 units high... in the "world" itself. but yet thats only 4 ft according to them.

THEY ARE IDIOTS OR THEY WERE STONED WHEN THEY CAME UP WITH THIS SHIT. and i am thinking they were idiots. cause (i know...) when you are stoned, you dont have an idiot moment as bad as that.

where the hell is ricey when i need him. hes jewish, hes gotta be good with numbers...

Last edited by Snipe; 10-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #34
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
A unit is a unit is a unit. Valve didn't write the wiki, so don't take anything on there as absolute truth. Whoever come up with the idea that 16 units = 1 foot is an idiot, imo. A more accurate explanation would be that in a FPS, you want to build interiors a bit larger than in real life so that things don't seem claustrophobic.

You'll be better off not trying to convert them to feet and inches, but to learn what dimensions are appropriate for different objects. Check out the orange "measure" textures that show standard sizes for doors, walls, crates, etc. For anything you're not sure of, test the map to see what looks right.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
A unit is a unit is a unit. Valve didn't write the wiki, so don't take anything on there as absolute truth. Whoever come up with the idea that 16 units = 1 foot is an idiot, imo. A more accurate explanation would be that in a FPS, you want to build interiors a bit larger than in real life so that things don't seem claustrophobic.

You'll be better off not trying to convert them to feet and inches, but to learn what dimensions are appropriate for different objects. Check out the orange "measure" textures that show standard sizes for doors, walls, crates, etc. For anything you're not sure of, test the map to see what looks right.
That is what I have been doing and it is good. I was just trying to make a more "technical, realistic" map. I am trying to push my mapping skills right now because I know I am nowhere near on par with 99% of the other mappers on here. I guess I am doing somewhat of an experiment for Ricey's map battle. I havent even figured it out yet though lol.