Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #1
o_nagash

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Double Jumping - What it is

There seems to be some confusion about what double jumping actually is. I'm going to try and clear that up using my knowledge of double jumping in CPMA (mod for Quake3). All of these methods of double jumping probably wont be valid for FF, but I'll start with the obvious ones which will be.

Double Jumping Theory
The basic theory is that if you jump twice (not in midair) within a certain amount of time (~400ms in CPMA I believe), you get a movement "bonus". What kind of bonus this is depends alot on what surface you use.

Double Jumping using a Ramp (or any angled surface)
Situation: Your standing on the ground. You jump from the bottom of the ramp, hit the ramp and jump again (within the time limit, again probably half a second or something).
Effect: Instead of just hitting the ramp and jumping a little bit forward up the ramp again, you should get a rather large height bonus due to trimping. (This is what happens in the movie which has double jumping). Note that this is a combination of double jumping and trimping.
Cool Stuff: This effect can be used by map makers to put jumps wherever they want. In CPMA on many maps there are small angled outcrops on walls, allowing you to basically just jump up the wall to a higher platform or whatever. This could be useful in FF for making a jump "only" accessible to scouts or some such (other classes would be able to do it but they would need a runup whereas a scout's speed could allow him to do it from a standing start)

Double Jumping using an Elevated Flat Surface
Situation: Your standing on the ground and there is a slightly raised ledge in front of you. You jump, hit/land on the raised ledge and jump again.
Effect: It depends - in CPMA when you were jumping into a ledge (that you hit the corner of or whatever) you were basically grounded on that ledge so you can jump again. It depends on the mechanics in FF. In CPMA you would get a modest height bonus and a pretty decent speed/distance bonus.

Double Jumping using Stairs
CPMA is designed such that if you are moving forward up a flight of stairs and jump, you dont leave the ground really (due to the edge grounding described above). This allows you to double jump from any "normal" flight of stairs (some stairs were created with larger steps preventing this). I don't think FF maps have many stairs, and this mechanic may not exist even if they do, but I thought I would mention it anyways.

Mixed Double Jumping (Stairs and Ramps)
CPMA has alot of stairs which have thin ramps on the outside (left and right of them). You can do a circle-jump to the left/right on the stairs (grounded, dont go anywhere) then circle-jump in the opposite direction again (so your facing forward again) and then your second jump is off the ramp so you get the trimp + double jump effect.

That's about it, if all of this is completely invalid I'll just go crawl in a hole. If the devs/beta testers want to confirm/deny the other methods that would be cool.

The only method definately in is double jumping using a ramp/angled surface (note that a ramp doesn't have to be a ramp like in the forts RR, there could be a little angled surface at the start of a bridge rail or something)
o_nagash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
o_saberwolf

It looked to me though that they were doing a mid air jump in the video, werent they?
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
No, you have to double jump off of a surface and it must be higher than the previous jump.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
o_saberwolf

but...you can already do that in tfc right? I don't really understand the difference.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
o_hughj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberWolf
but...you can already do that in tfc right? I don't really understand the difference.
In Quake2, Q3-CPMA, etc double-jumping causes your second jump to be quite a bit higher than a regular jump. It sort of behaves as if your momentum from your first jump(s) carries over onto your next jump, causing it to launch you higher than standard jump height. The idea is that you're not really stopping at any point between those several jumps, so it's one single motion.
o_hughj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
o_kam

and it's cool
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
o_gunslinger

Wait a god-damned second. Are you saying the a double jump is like jumping... but twice??? Surely no man can not handle such trickery!
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
the person jumps once then after gets a boost from farting
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
the person jumps once then after gets a boost from farting
Ohhhhhh! Then the fatty must be awesome at it!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Yup all that should work in FF. The biggest difference as I've mentioned before is that going down and off a ramp doesn't do the full reverse trimp boost to horizontal movement. It's close to how TFC worked in this regard. This was done for balance reasons but it may be re-enabled later if some other balancing factors are implemented and work well.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Heh, that'd be like Defrag mod in Q3A. Lots of fun.

Do we get overbounces ?
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
Quote:
Ohhhhhh! Then the fatty must be awesome at it!
yea, when he stocks up on 10 tacos and burritos
"Soldier and medic walk to their flag room"
"see hwguy eating a burrito"
"sollyandmedic:Why is your ac on the ground?, and why the hell arent you defending!!?"
"hwguy:im hungry man, all this fighting , and what do i get when it over? ? a gj "fatass", from all the teammates, heh"

Last edited by o_kenny; 02-16-2007 at 08:58 PM.
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Do we get overbounces ?
I have asked that before, but it wasn't answered. I wonder why? :P

Because it is poop...for a tf game : )
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Do we get overbounces ?
I originally was interested in trying this out in FF. Unfortunately, I now believe it wouldn't work. After further thought, I think air accel in TFC/FF is a bit different than the later Quake games/mods. If you have zero initial velocity in the horizontal plane I don't think you can gain any, which would remove any utility that overbounce has. I'd have to check this though, I may be wrong.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
o_rannibunny

I'm sure you can gain speed in tfc with 0 initial velocity.
I tried it ^_^
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Yeah. But I don't think it's anywhere near cpma.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #17
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
You can always do angled OBs, I think. It's been years since I even visited the Defrag mod forums... but basically if you have an immensely small horizontal velocity, the overbounce would send you flying in the angle you were moving at. Refer to Tribulation.avi
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #18
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
yea, when he stocks up on 10 tacos and burritos
"Soldier and medic walk to their flag room"
"see hwguy eating a burrito"
"sollyandmedic:Why is your ac on the ground?, and why the hell arent you defending!!?"
"hwguy:im hungry man, all this fighting , and what do i get when it over? ? a gj "fatass", from all the teammates, heh"
hahaha. I can frigg'n picture that. I've always thought it'd be cool if they made some sort of seriest out of TFC. Much like Red vs. Blue for Halo. Each character with their own personality. It'd just be a bit harder to do because you'd need more people to fill each class.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #19
o_agret

Quote:
It'd just be a bit harder to do because you'd need more people to fill each class.
Not really, you can change your class after all... Just shoot all the scenes and you're good. It'd be pretty sweet to see this, maybe FF can add a "machinima" mode where your hud is invisible and player names won't comeup when they are looked at?
o_agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #20
o_thewetmule

Gogo hud_draw 0 + crosshair 0! Gogo machinima. Now all we need is Kittens.. Kittens with laser eyebeams! Rawr!(Lolol smerpys sig)
o_thewetmule is offline   Reply With Quote