Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
FF_Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 71 Times
Dev. Journal: z0rt (2008-07-17)

Star date: F*ck The World!

Life has begat moi a fecundity of failure, meaning life sucks. I've been forced to reformat the hard drive on my laptop. As if that weren't bad enough, I came back home from work today to see my computer off. So I did what anyone would do... I turned it on. Then, out of the ordinary, the fuses blew and the power to my house went out. So we flipped the switches to return the power, and of course I turned my computer on. Rather than the usual stupid windows boot up screen, I heard scratches-- nasty scratches. "What could it be," I thought? And then I realized that two of my hard drives on my desktop computer were... guess what? That's right, they crashed. My Western Digital hard drives, the brand I always swore to, had died on me. So now, I hate Western Digitals and I hate Seagate. I've always hated Intel, but now I hate them even more. Don't ask me why, I am not a man of logic (not now anyway).

Today, I've been left with a 4 year old 120GB hard drive, and a laptop with a virus infested windows partition-- but don't worry, the linux partition is fine (for now... knock on mother f*cking wood).

I have to ask myself, with all honesty, why so many bad things could happen. What have I done to deserve all these bad things? Why couldn't I have gotten 1 more point on my final last month to get an A instead of a shitty A-? Why has the backup hard drive died. Why does Norton not know anything about this stupid virus. Why have I lost all my Kung-Fu movies and Anime that I've spent YEARS collecting? Why!? WHY!?!?!?!?

Spare me your pity. My beef is with God (and Western Digital, and Intel, and Seagate, and jkkJcBtT.dll, and Asus and...).
FF_Team is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Yowch.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
oh poo. unlucky... man... :/
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Do the hard drives spin up at all? From the scratchy sounds i'd say probably not but if they do and you think they're just corrupted all to hell, I have a cool program called ERD commander that loads a pseudo operating system with USB support.. At least you could get your data off (A good Anime and Kung-Fu collection would take years to rebuild).

Be happy send you a copy.

-Icculus {FYC}
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Sorry but I have to ask: WHY THE FUCK NORTON????

Seriously tho, sucky antiviruses like these can damage your HD faster than usual because they scan for viruses all the time and therefore they use your HDs.

But, your problem seems to be your power supply anyways. Power supplies are so underestimated by most people yet they are super critical for the rest of your PC. Sucky power supplies can blow up your hard drives, mobo, cpu, etc when they blow up because they're built like crap.

Anyways, good luck with your shit.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
seriously man... ah nevermind not even going to say it
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Man this sucks

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
WD drives do rock... i have 4, it's norton that sucks. ftmft

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Stratisphere

Hey, little tip, if you know the file thats being loaded at boot and cant remove it (often a big pain in the arse). My fall back plan is always (if you're running xp pro) set ACL deny rights to SYSTEM and EVERYONE.

... that way the bugger cant load up on next boot. Sure you cant remove it from the system then (well you could from linux?) but what harm can it do if nothing, even the system, cant access it?!

If you need any pointers or tips on how to do it give me a shout. If you've tried it, give me a shout still, there are a few more tactics i know.
Stratisphere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Beast

Class/Position: soldier D
Gametype: capture the flag
Affiliations: old timers clan
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Team
Star date: F*ck The World!

Life has begat moi a fecundity of failure, meaning life sucks. I've been forced to reformat the hard drive on my laptop. As if that weren't bad enough, I came back home from work today to see my computer off. So I did what anyone would do... I turned it on. Then, out of the ordinary, the fuses blew and the power to my house went out. So we flipped the switches to return the power, and of course I turned my computer on. Rather than the usual stupid windows boot up screen, I heard scratches-- nasty scratches. "What could it be," I thought? And then I realized that two of my hard drives on my desktop computer were... guess what? That's right, they crashed. My Western Digital hard drives, the brand I always swore to, had died on me. So now, I hate Western Digitals and I hate Seagate. I've always hated Intel, but now I hate them even more. Don't ask me why, I am not a man of logic (not now anyway).

Today, I've been left with a 4 year old 120GB hard drive, and a laptop with a virus infested windows partition-- but don't worry, the linux partition is fine (for now... knock on mother f*cking wood).

I have to ask myself, with all honesty, why so many bad things could happen. What have I done to deserve all these bad things? Why couldn't I have gotten 1 more point on my final last month to get an A instead of a shitty A-? Why has the backup hard drive died. Why does Norton not know anything about this stupid virus. Why have I lost all my Kung-Fu movies and Anime that I've spent YEARS collecting? Why!? WHY!?!?!?!?

Spare me your pity. My beef is with God (and Western Digital, and Intel, and Seagate, and jkkJcBtT.dll, and Asus and...).
Sounds like a normal pc
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
We're like twinsies with broken computers, only I'm less important to the mod.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote