Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Yo, audiophiles

I hope you can give me some pointers. I've got a pair of Audiobahn 12's, rated at 1000W apiece and I want to know what I need to make them work. I bought them for a song many years ago and have kept them inside, in their protective boxes for going on 9 years. The rubbers are still strong and the foam looks to be in great shape, so I think I'm going to grab an amp and try them out.

I've already got a box, it used to hold a pair of 15's I ran with in my first car, thank god because these things are monsters. So what I need is to find out how much I need to push these things. I'm not looking to vibrate my car apart, but rather to get some good sound out of the fuckers. Considering I listen to mostly metal, classic rock and classical (thumpin Bach muthafuggas) I'm sure I can live with a lower output amp and be perfectly content.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Any decent amp at the correct impedance for your price point? that's probably the big question. How much do you want to spend on bumping your mozart?
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
My best friend in HS had a pair of Audiobahn Flame Q 12", optima battery, 1 big amp ( sorry cant remember the watts) and 2 capacitors....

You definitely don't want to under-power them but a nice median is fine. His capacitors were digital, and they would beep when the charge was low... every time the fucking thing hit low note. Guess maybe he needed a bigger alternator or even another batt.

In one of my trucks I have a pair of the OLD Alpine Type E 10" subs, hatchback box, 250watt amp, 1 farad cap. pushes both of them fine. And the sound is great. I'm not beatin' down the block, but people can hear it from there cars so I tend to turn it down at stoplights and such, don't wanna fork out $1000.00 for a sound ordinance ticket.

1 1000watt amp and a cap or 2 would probably do just fine, maybe go up to a 1200. I really haven't been into it in a long time so I don't know what's hot right now. If I recall correctly, it was a 1 farad cap. for every 1000 watts, again I'm not sure. Hope this helps a lil bit.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
My best friend in HS had a pair of Audiobahn Flame Q 12", optima battery, 1 big amp ( sorry cant remember the watts) and 2 capacitors....

You definitely don't want to under-power them but a nice median is fine. His capacitors were digital, and they would beep when the charge was low... every time the fucking thing hit low note. Guess maybe he needed a bigger alternator or even another batt.

In one of my trucks I have a pair of the OLD Alpine Type E 10" subs, hatchback box, 250watt amp, 1 farad cap. pushes both of them fine. And the sound is great. I'm not beatin' down the block, but people can hear it from there cars so I tend to turn it down at stoplights and such, don't wanna fork out $1000.00 for a sound ordinance ticket.

1 1000watt amp and a cap or 2 would probably do just fine, maybe go up to a 1200. I really haven't been into it in a long time so I don't know what's hot right now. If I recall correctly, it was a 1 farad cap. for every 1000 watts, again I'm not sure. Hope this helps a lil bit.
two capacitors and they'd beep out? were they both 1 farad?
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
two capacitors and they'd beep out? were they both 1 farad?
Not sure, more than likely.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
is this the Audiobahn AWC12T? they have dual voice coils.

if you wire each driver's voice coils together in series, then wire both drivers together in parallel with the amp, then that would present a 4 ohm load, so you'd need an amp that can deliver 1000W at 4 ohms

if you wire everything together in parallel, you'd present a 1 ohm load to an amp, so you'd need an amp that can deliver 1000W at 1 ohm.

Last edited by mervaka; 06-06-2010 at 10:10 PM.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
if you wire everything together in parallel, you'd present a 1 ohm load to an amp, so you'd need an amp that can deliver 1000W at 1 ohm.
Cool, saw some with those specs for about $80 on ebay. Back when I had shit like this you had to provide external crossover so they didn't feed the high through the subs. Apparently all that jazz is built into the current hardware.

And not much Dexter, I don't care to push anything. The stereo is stock and won't be changed due to security shit on it and the fact that it's huge - its a 2001 Accord with a built in 6 disc changer. Archaic now but plays all the music I can bother listening to in any given trip, lol.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote