Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #61
o_saberwolf

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Get closer, or, aim slightly up so it'll arch up then back down. I'm sure in 2fort that one could aim a little up and still manage to fire from one balchony to another.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #62
o_qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I think that is BS for the IC cannon. It is supposed to be a counter to snipers. How are you gonna counter snipers with your IC when your projectiles are affected by gravity and theirs are not? Bullshit. ):
Says you.

I prefer to kill them
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #63
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
I think that is BS for the IC cannon. It is supposed to be a counter to snipers. How are you gonna counter snipers with your IC when your projectiles are affected by gravity and theirs are not? Bullshit. ):
I guess you're only using 2fort as an example. And as that, you're only using TFC's 2fort as an example, because even though I shoot up and hit the ceiling, I can still aim and take out anyone on the sniper deck, it doesn't suck, it gives such a powerful weapon with a continuous RoF a bit of a downside. The IC does great damage, using your noggin a bit allows you to compensate for the gravitational effects easily. What it really does is detract from the infinite range that IC users are used to, but how many times do you put the IC to use at max range unless you're just screwing around and shooting the front of the enemy base.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #64
o_twincannon

Quote:
yes because your opinion means so much if you haven't had a chance to use it
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #65
o_saberwolf

Bringing the Snipers tracers back up. What are the major pros and cons? How would you (as a beta tester) like to see it changed? buffed? debuffed?
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #66
o_sta_sirtiger

I'm not a beta tester!
Pros: You can wallhack em!
Cons: Kills FF

I'm just kidding. However, in my opinion, I believe that it should be tweaked a bit. Possibly not give the exact location after being tracked...instead, the dev team can think of a different feature to tell the sniper where his enemy is.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #67
o_redux

What I don't understand is how you can call BS on or complain about something that you haven't even seen firsthand or how it even acts in game. I'm sure there is a reason that the Pyro's IC fires the way it does. If it would have sucked, don't you think it would have been changed by now back to the classic way? Don't be so quick to jump the gun with the negativity.
o_redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #68
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberWolf
Bringing the Snipers tracers back up. What are the major pros and cons? How would you (as a beta tester) like to see it changed? buffed? debuffed?
We haven't gotten into that one very heavily yet. Since we've been trying to get match style games, (5v5) we've avoided the sniper pretty much consistantly, I would wager that is because none of us favor the sniper more than any other class. We threw in a few pyros last time and it made a nice change, he was extremely useful. Its still hard breaking the mold that everyone has played for so many years.

You are a pirate!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 AM   #69
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
its that mold that's really gonna get on my tits upon release. some people are going to want to port their skillset from TFC straight over from TFC to FF, but its just not going to fucking happen like that. i hope people will accept change like they do in TF2, because valve threw the whole TF mold out the window.

if you want TFC, by all means play TFC. this is FF.

with regard to the tag/tracer, i think a periodic audio pulse/beep accompanied by a flashing sprite/dynamic light would be interesting to try. the current box implementation gives away an exact location, which i think is a bit much.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #70
o_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
We haven't gotten into that one very heavily yet. Since we've been trying to get match style games, (5v5) we've avoided the sniper pretty much consistantly, I would wager that is because none of us favor the sniper more than any other class. We threw in a few pyros last time and it made a nice change, he was extremely useful. Its still hard breaking the mold that everyone has played for so many years.
If you're avoiding the sniper in 'clan-style play' then what hope is there that the sniper has been made more viable for clan-style play, as I thought was intended?
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #71
o_skanky butterpuss

not trying to put anything in lost's mouth (fucking perverts), but i think he just means that even they have been having trouble trying to recondition the way they play clan style 5v5. ultimately the goal is to have every class suitable for clan play, but its still hard to get out of that 7 year old habit of med vs solly
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #72
o_ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
If you're avoiding the sniper in 'clan-style play' then what hope is there that the sniper has been made more viable for clan-style play, as I thought was intended?
Gunslinger, you forgot to read the rest of his post that explained that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
There are people out there that play sniper well now and those are the people who will be good at playing a dedicated sniper in a clan match. It just sounds like they just weren't that good at sniper and would bring much more to the team if they played something else.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #73
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

i've said this a million times but quite simply, i think it boils down to the maps. snipers like open areas. the only open area in most maps is the midmap. usually, the midmap is just a straight length where snipers can see each other, and this is where the whole sniperwars thing came from. if amendments were made to new maps to allow snipers to have an open field to shoot from, then i think there would be more demand for such a skill.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #74
o_gunslinger

I read it but it just seemed a load of rubbish and an excuse not to use sniper, but each to their own.

Mervaka, I sort of agree, but look at a map like well, rock2 or, dare I say it, High_flag, which rocks with a sniper!
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #75
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Ghost put it straight out there.

In addition, Merv and I played with the tags yesterday and found they won't interfere in sniper battles in the slightest either.

You are a pirate!

Old 01-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #76
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

at least on 2fort

Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #77
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Mervaka, I sort of agree, but look at a map like well, rock2 or, dare I say it, High_flag, which rocks with a sniper!
Because there are open areas that aren't the midmap.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #78
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

hence i said most maps, and not all. yes, i had my thoughts trained on 2fort. yes, 2fort sucks for snipers making a contribution to the game.

we had a playtest not long ago where someone was in the silo on well at the far end tagging incoming enemies. it was tre cool!

and rock2 is even more awesome with snipers.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #79
o_uncle-argon

On the subject of Rock2, has anything happened to improve the design of the map? The current TFC version takes far too long to get from base to base and the whole attack has to go through one small doorway which is next to a resup; its an absolute nightmare to attack and pretty boring to defend.

I'm sure a lot of people still love it and there's a lot of things I like about the map but I don't think it works for clan or pub play in TFC anymore. Anything changing?
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #80
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Sadly, Rock 2 hasn't recieved much attention. I wouldn't expect it for first release.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote