Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
o_general levy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Please don't flame me!

Hey guys - took a break from the forums for a while to sort out some RL stuff like jobs, travel plans for summer etc...

Anyway - I wanted to ask the devs this. I hear what you are saying about not wanting to state a release date and then miss it cos, well the babies will throw their toys out of the pram etc etc... BUT....

Having read a lot of interviews with professional developers which talk about 'crunch time' you surely must have internal deadlines as you near the home straight of this project. Development studios often say that this crunch time is when everyone is 100x more productive and a whole tonne of work is done to actually get from 'A' to 'B'.
'A' being a collection of (pretty much completed) maps, models, renders, skins, code and animations and 'B' being the finished article - the game.

So I was just wondering - are you in 'crunch' mode yet?
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Getting close, I'd say.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
o_qui

I wouldnt imagine so, these crunch times are imposed on game developers because thier bosses want the game done in time. These guys have no such pressures
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
o_general levy

2 mins from looking knowledgeable qui :P

such is the fine line between success and failure

great news Dospac...from what I know about crunch times most pro developers usually say they last about 6 months, but with you guys doing this on the side it may well be longer im guessing.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #5
o_majinvegeta

yea well not to mention if you speed through the creation process then look at what you get Xbox 360. The time consuming creation process and the slow time on testing is for the betterment of the product.
o_majinvegeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
o_general levy

the last post made little to no sense

Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Actually our sights are set on releasing the game asap in a playable form. We want to have a playable clan game, and have enough of our public play centered elements in place for the first release to make a splash in that area.

So, when we get most of the content created and begin pushing for finalized in-game art, polished up coding, etc, that's when I'd say crunch time begins for our first release. And we're getting closer to that, especially over the last 2-3 months. Hang tight, I'd say. =)
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
o_general levy

its like that guy from valve said (robin walker i think?) - release fast, release often

ironic on the surface but he was talking about mod teams i suppose rather than professional projects

Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I think his point is a little less valid when you have a previous game to compare to. Most mods don't, but FF does.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
o_lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
Actually our sights are set on releasing the game asap in a playable form. We want to have a playable clan game, and have enough of our public play centered elements in place for the first release to make a splash in that area.

So, when we get most of the content created and begin pushing for finalized in-game art, polished up coding, etc, that's when I'd say crunch time begins for our first release. And we're getting closer to that, especially over the last 2-3 months. Hang tight, I'd say. =)
Release a demo just like Dystopia
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
o_vampiricus

oh my. I think Im going to do a clean install of my OS just for the occasion. im in need for a overhall anyway.
Woot!
o_vampiricus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
o_fresh

Over the last few months FF imo, has started to come together. This can only be a good thing. With release dates this is less a development thing, more a publishing thing. Id rather wait months longer for a great game then have a nearly great game right now.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
o_general levy

I disagree I think that internal dates can help focus a team's attention and make them more productive. No goals = No goals being met... on any project.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
o_fresh

The team obviously have goals and a timescale of sorts, If I was getting paid to do this I'd have a fucking wall chart ffs, given that dedication to this project is reliant on other factors like their life, jobs and hammer a strict time limit on development would only reap disappointment.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
o_tennovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
these crunch times are imposed on game developers because thier bosses want the game done in time. These guys have no such pressures
You're right, they technically don't have a "boss" to force them to meet deadlines but they have worse. The community. Check the "bitch about updates" for proof.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #16
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Take your time to pefect it and release it when all my exams are over.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
o_tennovan

Exactly what I think also. If it was somehow miraculously released before May, I'd not be able to play it. I don't see it being released until maybe late summer anyways so I know this isn't a problem but I think the initial playerbase would be HUGE if it was released in late July/early August.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
o_zencheetah

hmm

Just make the game good, really.

Crunch time can make things messy, such as overlooking a certain element that really woulda added a lot, but was not put in because of rushing.

Look forward to release ^_^
o_zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #19
o_general levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
The team obviously have goals and a timescale of sorts, If I was getting paid to do this I'd have a fucking wall chart ffs, given that dedication to this project is reliant on other factors like their life, jobs and hammer a strict time limit on development would only reap disappointment.
So you're basically agreeing with what I said? I don't think a rigid time limit would be helpful, or even possible with team members spread out across the world and no bossman holding their paycheques

And I think being close to crunch time can only be a good thing, seeing as that is when any project really comes together. I think seeing crunch time as somehow rushing is wrong - its just being more productive. Even the best games have crunch time...it stops feature creep and keeps things coherent and focused.

Sometimes when even working on say a school project - don't you find yourself not being able to see the wood for the trees?

Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #20
o_ghost

Heh, I think I started most of my school projects in the "crunch time" phase. I procrastinated way too much.

Yea, Robin Walker said "release fast; release often." It makes sense for new mods that have no existing player base. Get the mod out there and get people playing it ASAP. That's basically how CS started. However, FF is based on a game with an existing fan base so I think it warrants a little more time getting at least the basic elements implemented. That doesn't mean they have to break from the release often part.

Robin Walker also wrote a very good guide on what he felt was the best development life cycle for a mod. It incorporated the release fast; release often idea. It also gave guidelines on when you should stop adding features for a release and push any new features to the next update. I think I saw it on the ValveERC about a year ago.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote