Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
o_jinx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Global Warming: Three News Stories

I found it funny/ironic to see all three of these stories on the front page of MSNBC at the same time:

Warming Very Likely Due To Man, Report to Say
Negotiators also tie bigger storms to warming; other details still debated

Bush Administration in Hot Seat Over Global Warming
"Lawmakers received survey results of federal scientists that showed 46 percent felt pressure to eliminate the words “climate change,” “global warming” or similar terms from communications about their work. The scientists also reported 435 instances of political interference in their work over the past five years."

Gore Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize
"OSLO, Norway - Former Vice President Al Gore was nominated for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his wide-reaching efforts to draw the world’s attention to the dangers of global warming, a Norwegian lawmaker said Thursday."

*huge sigh*
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
o_uber

Am I the only missing the irony? I hope not.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
o_ivaqual

I guess he's pointing out that a politician was nominated for the Nobel and scientists protest about political interferences in their work at the same time.

There is very little to laugh about an issue that is very real but that a few people with money try to cover up because taking care of it would reduce immediate profits.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
o_uber

Oh. Now I see the irony. HArrrrrrrrr

Good find
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
o_yomamashouse

I think the fact that there was political interference was dumb but I think the irony part need explaining. I thought it was more depressing.

EDIT Ohhhhhhh
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
o_jinx

That's ironic, though not what I was going for, and I don't think it really works since Gore is no longer serving in public office... and clearly things would have been different if he was president. So, I was probably wrong to say ironic.

More just... sad... sad that the guy we put in the White House has been wrong and obstructionist about this issue, while Gore has been championing it even though he didn't get elected.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The whole issue has been pulled into the circus of political nonsense so any real information is going to be obscured or wrapped in the nonsense of that group.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
o_jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
The whole issue has been pulled into the circus of political nonsense so any real information is going to be obscured or wrapped in the nonsense of that group.
The issue is pretty cut and dried in the scientific community. It's just the politicians who do their best to create doubt in order to protect special interest groups that would be hurt by changing car emissions standards etc. That doubt gets picked up by the press, and keeps people from seeing what a strong consensus there is on the subject among actual scientists who study the phenomenon.

Oh yeah, see An Inconvenient Truth if you get a chance. Gore pretty much lays it out there, and addresses the criticisms as well.