Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Toastie

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I have an idea to boost the activity within this game

I am putting this in quotes not because I am a narcissist, but because I want to separate it from my commentary. I posted this in UGC, I think this game can be a great game with a large pool as is. A lot of people pull out the idea of training and all that, but I think a more hands on approach is necessary.

Quote:
The Problem - Getting people to play this game, and staying within this game. Its hard for most gamers of today to really get into this game because it is so different. First of all, upon release and because of TFC, this game was already HEAVILY evolved. I mean when most of us first started playing, we typically chose from servers of 4 different maps (2fort, well, rock2, cz2) while others had a bit more options at about 1.5 on. This made it easier for those first coming into the game to really get into it. Now with the game already evolved as it is, there are about 14 different maps right out the gate, the growth for new players was not a gradual one.

Ladder Idea: FF Minor Leagues

The Target: People who play games similar to this one, or just any FPS game in general.

The Vision: To create a ladder of 6 teams, each managed by 1 or 2 "mentors" to pretty much transition them into FF, a highly evolved game. These mentors WILL WORK WITH OTHER MENTORS from other teams in order to retain these players. The idea would be to orient players through an actual mentoring type program rather than youtube videos by kids with a lisp. The highly successful teams will pull 10 players, and the low end will pull 5. If all 6 pull at the low end, thats still 30 new people, and 30 new mouths to spread the game.

Who should be a Mentor: Not just anybody, this is not the FF beta test team where you raise your hand and they pick you. I would go as far as saying some sort of coaching experience would be needed to be a successful mentor, but a character-type evaluation can work the same. A successful mentor would be able to demonstrate clarity of the game to new players. A mentor should also use at his disposal several key techniques that had made this game fun for him, and must not be someone who is uptight. The brighter side of the game must be shown to other players. In addition to that, a mentor must be able to work with other mentors to be able to come up with some sort of consistent gameplan to develop these players, and the basics of barebone TF should be covered. The mentor should also be willing to gather up 5-10 reliable people to the best of his ability and make it happen.

The Layout: This minor league ladder will be a 5v5 format much like the one you have for UGC. The reason 5v5 makes a good number, is that it should be pretty easy to pull in 5 people from FF's own pub pool, and the pub pool from various other sources(TFC's pub pool, TF2's pub pool, etc). These minor leaguers WILL NOT BE PLAYING BIGGER NAMED CLANS. The idea is to groom these greenies with each others, almost as if it is thier own little community. They will play games twice a week rather than once a week, each game against a different clan on the same map within that week. For example; in week 1, Team A will play B(Sunday) and C(Thursday) on 2fort, and in week2, they will play D and E on Well. Another important fact is that 1 season should have the same maps. If there is a 10 week season, the rotation should look something like: 2fort, Well, Openfire, 2fort, Well, Openfire, 2fort, Well, Openfire, Oddball map. Sounds boring? Thats probably cuz you've played this game for a decade, or at least close to a decade. The mentors will also be excluded from matches. Though they can maybe get on a ventrilo and coach them up as the game is going so long as they dont give comms in advance and cheat like that. It wouldnt do the greenies any good!

Progression: If there is a team, that looks like they can be competitive with at least 1 or 2 clans within the real ladder, bump them up. But then this would provide a chance for another ladder to be created, and these teams can now play without heavy supervision of the mentor (tho the mentor should stay the least bit involved as a consultant or something). Then the new season... start it all over again. If there were any bad mentors, dismiss them. There is also a possibility for expansion for more teams.

How would you measure success: This is overlooked alot. I think you've always got to find a way to measure your success or else you'll never know exactly how well you are doing! In this situation, the measure of success would be the prevention of retention, in other words, how many people stick with it.

How are the mentors measured: Mentors can only do so much to keep guys in the game. Some mentors may be better than others depending on thier style. In the case of the mentor, I would say you measure a good mentor by someone who sets a good example of being a good member of a team. Shows up on time, sets things up in advance, and make sure the team is ready for thier games.

In my opinion, the FF dev team can do whatever it wants to make the game more appealing to a new base, and it can be successful in doing so. But to achieve a true compromise, the community may have to just REACH OUT and bring in some people. I think something like this, or a modified version of this, could accomplish that.
No criticism is necessary, because I wont care, haha. But input and maybe expression of interest is appreciated. But basically the idea is that theyll have their own little community ladder of inexperienced players.

Last edited by Toastie; 01-31-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Toastie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
This is mostly what FYC league did for a while till it died

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If you want to pull big time players, you have to offer cash.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Toastie

I dont know what FYC did, or who they were, so whatever to that. BUT as I kinda went through the forums where people talked about FF, i realize that this wouldnt be very applicable. it seems alot of people actually thought FF was fun, but arent into there being a small amount of people that actually play at a given time.

Ah well, it was just a thought heh.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Have you played FF lately? You can always find at least two servers to play at, and a Hell of a lot more on the weekends.

Our player base is way more stable than it was 6 months ago.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Toastie

I am well aware, and it's a shame o-t runs one of them