Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #21
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I meant with Boondock Saints.

But why do I have to have expected Citizen Kane to talk about what a turd the Boondock Saints was?
Why can't I just recognize that it's a bad movie?
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Because expectation is an important part of movie enjoyment. You don't go in to Monster-A-Go-Go expecting something deep and meaningful just like you don't go in to Where the Wild Things Are expecting bullet time matrix effects.

Obviously you went in to the movie expecting an amazing ending, and when it didn't meet your expectations you dubbed it as bad when the reality is that it's just average. If you didn't, you've probably got an insanely high standard for movies... which is just dumb.

It's like you're complaining about a Michael Bay movie expecting something other than a Michael Bay movie.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Etzell
D&A Member

I wasn't expecting a cinematic masterpiece, but I wasn't expecting an ending that dumb. That's not my fault for having "an insanely high standard", that's the movie's fault for having a dumb ending.

Honestly, Willem Dafoe was the movie's only saving grace. Everything else was mediocre at best.

Except your Michael Bay comparison doesn't work, because the only things Troy Duffy has done are the two Boondock Saints movies.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #24
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
I wasn't expecting a cinematic masterpiece, but I wasn't expecting an ending that dumb. That's not my fault for having "an insanely high standard", that's the movie's fault for having a dumb ending.
actually, it is your fault for having an extremely high standard
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yeah I agree. Boondock Saints is my 3rd all time favorite movie next to Office Space and The Shawshank Redemption, and I have no doubt that the sequel will be fantastic.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #26
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I'm totally on Etzell's side here. I mean, we're talking about opinion, so no one is right or wrong. But you can dislike a movie without it being your fault.

Bad movies are like bad food. It's not my fault I don't like anchovies on my pizza, they're the ones that taste the way they do.

Now one can argue that the food was prepared incorrectly and they can be right or wrong there.

My thoughts on Boondock Saints are simple. I enjoyed and still enjoy watching the movie for a few things that I like about it. Under no circumstances would I qualify it as a good movie. Like I said earlier Troy Duffy had nothing to do with its goodness. He told his camera operator to shoot things however he wanted which means the camera operator was doing half the director's job right there. The other job Troy Duffy was responsible for was actors' positioning and motivation. Willem Dafoe actually handled all that. So what did Troy Duffy do? He wrote the script. Which, was clearly enjoyable. But I own a copy of the script. He doesn't know how to write a script. The formatting, stage position and descriptions are all wrong. And most of his cool scenes were added in after the fact by the studio. He had very little to do with the first movie other than slapping his name on it and claiming he's awesome.

Now those are not my reasons for the first one being bad, but for the first one being a fluke. (which means I enjoy it) However, since Willem Dafoe is not in this sequel. And I assume that the same camera operator probably isn't available, I don't imagine that the sloppy, lazy script writing of a now disgruntled and frustrated Troy Duffy is enough to save this movie.

I'm not trying to destroy hopes. In all honesty I'm kind of trying to make the experience better. If you go into this expecting the same type of joy from the first movie you will most likely be dissapointed and hate it. If you go in with no expectations you will have a totally rational experience.

*On a side note, my information on the production of the movie comes from directors commentary, the script itself, and interviews with Troy Duffy himself. So any of you can learn the same things. I feel I needed to identify my source. Also, I bought my screenplay from Troy Duffy's website, still have it, Signed by him. I think it was 25 dollars. If you haven't and it's still for sale, buy it.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #27
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
ITT: movie snobs think their penises dont smell.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #28
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Except your Michael Bay comparison doesn't work, because the only things Troy Duffy has done are the two Boondock Saints movies.
I didn't even know who that was until I read a post in this thread.

The comparison wasn't between directors. The comparison was that you went in to a movie expecting something that it wasn't. For example, going in to a Michael Bay movie expecting something that isn't explosions.

Like the majority of people did with Transformers 1 and 2. This is why people think the movies are terrible. I mean, if you actually think explosions are boring then that kinda sucks for you. I mean, we play FF. This game is nothing but explosions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
ITT: movie snobs think their penises dont smell.
My penis smells very, very much.

I just don't care.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 11-16-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #29
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
I didn't even know who that was until I read a post in this thread.

The comparison wasn't between directors. The comparison was that you went in to a movie expecting something that it wasn't. For example, going in to a Michael Bay movie expecting something that isn't explosions.

Like the majority of people did with Transformers 1 and 2. This is why people think the movies are terrible. I mean, if you actually think explosions are boring then that kinda sucks for you. I mean, we play FF. This game is nothing but explosions.
I'm sorry for expecting it to do anything other than "be a turd". That's my fault. Now, while we're blaming me for things, can we also start giving me credit for how great Evil Dead 2 is? And the Godfather. While we're at it, just start throwing Oscars at me.

Tags
boondock saints 2