Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #21
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Really, what's the point of playing FF if it looks like TFC? Just go play TFC >.>

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
rizzo

sup 7600 GT, i would play tfc if it had players and im not wasting money for pc stuff anymore i afraid, but atleast i can wallhack in peace...
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #23
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

TFC has players >.>

Unless FF took EVERY member >.>

Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #24
rizzo

Maybe the public mess servers but clan players are pretty much moved to FF D; I get so bad fps with my 3400+ & 7600 GT i dont really know wtf is wrong. I mean in LAN i get stable 100, go any server wow 25-100 jumps like hell its kinda unplayable (for me anyway, whos used to smoooooothness) ;<
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

CfH is still up and running I believe. But they have botzes

Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo
Maybe the public mess servers but clan players are pretty much moved to FF D; I get so bad fps with my 3400+ & 7600 GT i dont really know wtf is wrong. I mean in LAN i get stable 100, go any server wow 25-100 jumps like hell its kinda unplayable (for me anyway, whos used to smoooooothness) ;<
Steam update on the 12th hosed things... HOSED.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #27
wicked_clown420

ROFL

that reminds me of using dx 7 in TFC back when it would make the water clear so snipers could snipe thru the water(toxic waste?) on the well

lol
wicked_clown420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 AM   #28
NewKleer

for anyone interested, ive put together a FPS config that results in 35% FPS increase in my push spam demo (see ozf link below). it only changes 13 settings from stock, so unlike the 500 setting fps config doing the rounds that bends you over, you only have 13 settings to play around with if you dont like certain things it has changed.

more info here: http://www.ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=24116

two things to note:

ragdoll_sleepaftertime 0.0f - might want to set this slightly higher (eg 0.5f) if the ragdoll freezing where they die is offputting. but this setting alone accounted for nearly 10% of the FPS increase as ragdoll animations are quite intensive

r_renderoverlayfragment 0 - signs/labels/some cappoints/powershot things (aardvark) etc wont show up. once you know where things are on the map this isnt an issue.

and make sure you use -dxlevel 81 so models arent shiny with change to bumpmapping. note with the -dxlevel setting in general, you only need to start the game ONCE with the setting, then remove it (setting will "stick"). if you leave it in the command line options then it resets some settings every time you run FF (eg loses windowed mode if you use that and defaults to fullscreen)

put in newkfps.cfg and "exec newkfps.cfg" from autoexec.cfg (create if it doesnt exist). or just stick in autoexec.cfg

Code:
// higher FF fps without 500 fricken commands v1.0 by NewKleer
// http://www.ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=24116
// use -dxlevel 81 command line once to switch to dx8.1 (no shiny models)
// also turn off steam->settings->ingame->community option (lowers fps)

// before: 3503 frames 44.438 seconds 78.83 fps 14.364 fps variability
// after: 3503 frames 32.780 seconds 106.86 fps 20.289 fps variability
// increase: 35%

mat_bumpmap 0 // increase FPS, but will make some models a bit shiny with dx90?
mat_fastnobump 1 // goes with above setting change?
mat_specular 0 // changes which models are shiny when bumpmap 0 with dx90?

r_decals 0 // only last bullet holes show up
r_3dsky 0 // turns some sky off
r_drawmodeldecals 0 // disable decals on models...blood?
r_drawflecks 0 // disables sparks/dirt etc from shooting crap?
r_dynamic 0 // disable dynamic lights
r_renderoverlayfragment 0 // overlays signs, paths etc...try ff_push with/without it
r_WaterDrawReflection  0 // slight fps increase
r_WaterDrawRefraction  0 // more fps increase, no see-thru water from outside it

cl_phys_props_enable 0 // disables some physics stuff!
ragdoll_sleepaftertime 0.0f // helps fps a lot, dead bodies may stay in weird places
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #29
DarthGreg

Uh yeah, ignore what was previously in this post, I've done some fooling around and realized that things like maxing out video settings, screen resolution, AA, and AF don't improve my FPS at all, and sometimes improve them.

There's something wrong with my setup that I'm not detecting.

Last edited by DarthGreg; 09-20-2007 at 05:30 AM.
DarthGreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #30
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
awww. im upgrading to a 1600XT from a geforce 4. on a 2500+, will it increase my image quailty at least a bit?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #31
NewKleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGreg
Newk have you done a comparison between your config and the already-popular fps.cfg? I'd be interested to see that.
the 500 setting FPS config gave another 2.5 fps on top of mine (low 109, forget actual figure). but its looked worse than tfc from memory (should have done screenshots to compare). in figuring out my config i left out a few settings that gave 0.2 fps here and there out for simplicity...another 2% of fps isnt worth all the.

given the 500 setting FPS looked like a dogs breakfast, wanted to keep it simple so people can fine tune settings themselves, something which you'd have no idea where to start with the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGreg
Uh yeah, ignore what was previously in this post, I've done some fooling around and realized that things like maxing out video settings, screen resolution, AA, and AF don't improve my FPS at all, and sometimes improve them.

There's something wrong with my setup that I'm not detecting.
i have the same problems myself on my desktop (my laptop does show variability when changing settings though), still trying to track down the cause. 640 no AA lowest settings vs 1280 4xAA/highest settings, same FPS, cpu speed didnt affect fps (2.66 vs 3.2) and neither did vid mhz (513/792 vs 666/1066). it may be some limitation of timedemo benchmark, i will have to do normal in game testing to see if that is the cause or not (though its harder to put models/explosions etc into the mix as they definitely play a role in FPS)

perhaps some aspect of performance is time oriented or somehow limit FPS independant of clock speed (assuming sufficient performance) which means top end computers can only get so many FPS? its stumped me so far

Last edited by NewKleer; 09-20-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #32
JECS

i am using a 6800gt as well my cpu is clocked at 2.5ghz. i can run css (which looks much better imo) with full quality settings at 1280x1024 and get over 100fps with dx9.

even on the lowest quality settings on dx9 for ff i get like max 30fps and even as low as 13 fps. i switch to dx7 my fps magically jumps to 130fps. something is definitely wrong.

sure i can change all my settings and make the game look like shit to be playable, but i really shouldnt have to..
JECS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #33
NewKleer

try create server, sv_cheats 1, then +showbudget. compare this with dx 7 and 9 in same part of map and see if u can tell the difference? (or take screenshots of both)

Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #34
JECS

loaded game using autoconfig for defaulted video settings on dx9. created a well server and ran around the entire map looking at budget. closed the game and loaded it using dx7 and left the video settings as they were. loaded well and ran around the entire map. fps during dx9 would hit around 100fps in small enclosed areas. in large open areas my fps would drop to about 40. in the same areas with dx7 i would get an average of about 30 fps higher.

on dx9 there was a large jump in the budget graph for world and static prop rendering. they were cut nearly in half while using dx7, which would make those 2 things about equal to everything else on the graph. these large jumps in the graph would happen every time i looked from one side of the map to the other and from one side of the flag room to the other. looking at the wall directly behind me would give me 100fps, looking at the ground gave me around 80fps and looking to the distance gave me around 40. mind you that is alone without any spam... so thats where the 13 fps would come in. with dx7 things would usually stay above 70 no matter what i was doing, often reaching 120ish, which is fine since they claim the eye doesnt see more than 30fps.
JECS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 PM   #35
WATER
D&A Member

hmmm

do theese things work for tfc also?
WATER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #36
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
well try the middle DX. DX8. It will give you avreage performance without looking as fugly.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #37
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

This deserves bumpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKleer
for anyone interested, ive put together a FPS config that results in 35% FPS increase in my push spam demo (see ozf link below). it only changes 13 settings from stock, so unlike the 500 setting fps config doing the rounds that bends you over, you only have 13 settings to play around with if you dont like certain things it has changed.

more info here: http://www.ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=24116

two things to note:

ragdoll_sleepaftertime 0.0f - might want to set this slightly higher (eg 0.5f) if the ragdoll freezing where they die is offputting. but this setting alone accounted for nearly 10% of the FPS increase as ragdoll animations are quite intensive

r_renderoverlayfragment 0 - signs/labels/some cappoints/powershot things (aardvark) etc wont show up. once you know where things are on the map this isnt an issue.

and make sure you use -dxlevel 81 so models arent shiny with change to bumpmapping. note with the -dxlevel setting in general, you only need to start the game ONCE with the setting, then remove it (setting will "stick"). if you leave it in the command line options then it resets some settings every time you run FF (eg loses windowed mode if you use that and defaults to fullscreen)

put in newkfps.cfg and "exec newkfps.cfg" from autoexec.cfg (create if it doesnt exist). or just stick in autoexec.cfg

Code:
// higher FF fps without 500 fricken commands v1.0 by NewKleer
// http://www.ozfortress.com/showthread.php?t=24116
// use -dxlevel 81 command line once to switch to dx8.1 (no shiny models)
// also turn off steam->settings->ingame->community option (lowers fps)

// before: 3503 frames 44.438 seconds 78.83 fps 14.364 fps variability
// after: 3503 frames 32.780 seconds 106.86 fps 20.289 fps variability
// increase: 35%

mat_bumpmap 0 // increase FPS, but will make some models a bit shiny with dx90?
mat_fastnobump 1 // goes with above setting change?
mat_specular 0 // changes which models are shiny when bumpmap 0 with dx90?

r_decals 0 // only last bullet holes show up
r_3dsky 0 // turns some sky off
r_drawmodeldecals 0 // disable decals on models...blood?
r_drawflecks 0 // disables sparks/dirt etc from shooting crap?
r_dynamic 0 // disable dynamic lights
r_renderoverlayfragment 0 // overlays signs, paths etc...try ff_push with/without it
r_WaterDrawReflection  0 // slight fps increase
r_WaterDrawRefraction  0 // more fps increase, no see-thru water from outside it

cl_phys_props_enable 0 // disables some physics stuff!
ragdoll_sleepaftertime 0.0f // helps fps a lot, dead bodies may stay in weird places

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #38
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Trying the 13 step one. I'll report the details once I play for a bit.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #39
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
I recommend keeping r_WaterDrawRefraction at 1 unless you don't want to see anyone when they go underwater.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #40
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I recommend keeping r_WaterDrawRefraction at 1 unless you don't want to see anyone when they go underwater.
When I had my P4/radeon 9800 computer, I used this MINUS the water settings. The water just looked like ass. This is a good config though.